Unofficial Pimax Day 2 Questions Megathread

Index controllers and Base Station upgrade from Valve - does Pimax or Valve ship the units to customers? For example, what happens if a customer lives in a country that Valve do not ship to?

2 Likes

Thats a good question, furthermore whats the shipping date for them controllers? When will we be able to switch?, if valve is shipping them then is all backers allowed to have them regardless of location eg Australia?

1 Like

For the “Questions about the business” category:

Will Pimax Day 2 actually ever happen?

Six weeks after upgrade plan starts if Pimax have told us honestly.

2 Likes

And they were quite clear that they will ship once the six week lead time has elapsed - you won’t get them in six weeks.

2 Likes

The reason I asked that is because Valve don’t ship to a bunch of countries eg Canada, South Korea. So some people are relying on the possibility that Pimax do the shipping and will be less restrictive.

I got the impression that it’s Valve who do the shipping, so I think the problem still exists. But it’s for Pimax to confirm. Also, I’d imagine Valve might slap the same export restrictions on Pimax, otherwise they’d just do it themselves, no? So let’s see on Pimax Day 2 what the answer really is

Excellent thank you :slight_smile:

I honestly think two square holes the size of the cooling fans drilled into the forehead plate would work, then you can mount the cooling fans directly onto it. You could offer it as a seperate modified unit for those that want to use cooling fans.

Can we get RMA service from Pimax if we received faulty base stations or index controllers(Upgrade plan)?

6 Likes

Very important and good question :+1:
I think i like the warranty to be handled by Valve for certain and obvious reasons :wink:

4 Likes

@PimaxVR @PimaxUSA What is Pimax’s plan to address the need for heavy modability for each individual user with 3rd party mods sich as velcro and 3rd party face foams to get the correct viewing distance adjustment?

Is there a plan of action to address distortion and eye strain caused by incorrect viewing distance which many users have experienced?
Possibly by implementing a viewing distance adjustment to make eyes closer or further away from lenses at all?

I’d like this question to be addressed in Pimax Day 2 and to know about the details of the new lenses hinted by Sweviver below, and the other confirmed items such as new controller design, new tracking ring design, dynamic distortion correction status, status on accessories and oled models and plans to use DP 2.0 for future models.

1 Like

It really seems like the eye tracking is the best solution for these things.

For a fix that would work the vast majority of the time, eye tracking would likely be much better.

Why not both? $300 on top of the hmd cost alone for eye tracking is cost prohibitive and a $10-$20 fix for a problem which affects such a wide range of users is a smart move. Dynamic distortion correction using eyetracking has already been confirmed to be coming soon as well.

2 Likes

You can have both. Eye tracking will be great for fixing the lump sum of issues such as, incorrect IPD, viewing distance.

Updated Thread. Hopefully we get all the questions answered in 2 days.

If I lock my eyes focusing centre and only move my head, keeping eyes still, then there is geometric distortion. The last game I played, well tried to play, in pimax was DCS in the Huey. Pick a wide cockpit like the Huey, keep your eyes still and move your head…and watch the cockpit bend and morph it’s shape.
So if Pimax can’t deal with geometry distortion looking straight ahead, not moving eyes, then how well do you think they will go with dynamic distortion correction with moving eyes? Especially through the current lenses (which are crap).

2 Likes

Are we getting the 120hz firmware update when Pimax Day 2 hits or should I just forget about it and wait.

A lot better actually. It’s not as straightforward as you think. It may seem as though, since it’s a static image it should be easy to get right, but in reality people have different face shapes, etc. The eye tracking could possibly detect some of these differences which could then be corrected using software. The current lenses also aren’t bad at all really. They’re pretty good for fresnel lenses. The canted displays make distortion correction that looks right for the majority of people a lot harder, and lenses that are more suited to wide fov VR could cost a lot more.

2 Likes

I suspect you’re overestimating what the eye tracking does. It doesn’t distinguish face shapes or distance of retina to screens.
Dynamic distortion correction is only for moving eyes off centre. There’s only one distortion algorithm required for looking centrally and many required for dynamic correction.
So if they can’t get one right then how can they get many right?
And no they’re not good lenses.

2 Likes

We don’t know exactly how the eye tracking works. It’s likely the eye tracker uses some sort of camera in combination with IR light, so who knows. The lenses are good, I don’t know why you think they aren’t. In comparison to the other lenses in consumer headsets they’re pretty up there.

1 Like