Let's talk about 'Pimax Day' here

We have to wait and see how they got better panel utilization then, was it lens or panel size that they improved?

2 Likes

Hey guys, really enjoyed the stream!!
So is the new PiTool already up or did i miss something?

1 Like

Panel size most likely. Just a 10-15% smaller form factor = 10-15% higher panel utilization. Remember that currently you can’t see the whole panel through the lens.

3 Likes

The funny thing i got a 100$ voucher for the change from 8K to 5K+ now to get the free eyetracking i need to spend the voucher + 99$… and to get the controllers in a foreseeable timeframe i have to change to the Valve Knuckle and make up for the difference.
The headstrap isn’t complete because the frontpart is missing which adds another 50$…

Yeah don’t see how that is fair for us backers.

10 Likes

Yeah so why not double price? I can see an increase to $250 for the extra FoV. I could even be pursuaded to pay +$100us maybe for
Yet another broken promise.

The eye tracking Pimax provides with 7Invensun is far from what is available for any other headset. As we said in the live stream, there is a massive amount of work and re-engineering put into it (mainly because of the wide FOV), and therefore the price point is different than lets say HTCs eye tracking which is made for 100 degrees FOV. It is unfortunate that we couldnt hold the promise with the hand tracking, but as the whole project just went out of hands in terms of price and effort, there is simply no way we can find to offer this product free, as of now. Luckily, all Kickstarter coupons can be used for this purchase, and backers already got a 100 off the MSRP price.

Dynamic DIstortion Correction is one of the features that WILL be implementet with Pimax tracking, same goes for DFR.

Open Source PiTool might sound like a joke to you, ,but then it sounds to me like you havent considered the possibilities. Also, in a few weeks from now, Open Source phase 2 comes out, followed by phase 3 and so on. If you have no interest in the OS phases, then it might not be something for you. Personally, I have a feeling people will love this. We have tons of ideas already, and with our devs, together with a skilled community, we can do great things for all Pimax users thanks to Open Source.

Regarding lenses, there is a lot I wish I could tell you, but at this point I cant.

34 Likes

Well that sounds hopeful at least.

But what are the possibilities without access to the driver exactly?

1 Like

Can you please demo the Eye Tracking? I don’t know how that would work but it would put people’s mind at ease. Especially regarding distortion and Dynamic Foveated Rendering.

4 Likes

It should be more on par with p4k’s 1440p upscaled (meaning good). With new bridgechip latency shouldn’t be an issue (though only affected a very small audience as proven)

4 Likes

I think I’ll stay put, while the 8kx is a bit interesting (75hz though) I’m quite happy with my present headset. I’ll wait for the next gen gpus before even thinking about Pimax.

6 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised. But I’m tempering my excitement until I get the costs for how much it’s going to cost me to get the valve controllers.

I backed for the lighthouses and two controllers with the thumbsticks.

@PimaxUSA how much will that cost me? I’m assuming the lighthouses are zero dollar, but there will maybe be a small uplift for the controllers? I also should be getting prescription inserts as a backer reward. I’m guessing that’s just the frames, any ballpark on how much lenses cost so I can budget?

Before the stream, I was actually thinking that Pimax should just bite the bullet and resell the index controllers at least initially, so this was a smart move to get a complete solution into people’s hands.

4 Likes

Is this confirmed???

Can we have informations on how much it will cost for backers to upgrade to 8KX or 8K+?

6 Likes

Very interesting Sweviver

6 Likes

Any info on when the foveated rendering stuff will be also available for nvidia 10xx cards?

3 Likes

We have not been given our vouchers yet? (Just incase I need to do some email diving)

So I have the $100 voucher, I downgraded from 8k to 5k+ and have a second voucher.

Is this correct?

So when I want to upgrade I can use $200 vouchers together with my backer discount to get an 8K X with the inclusive controllers and lighthouses as per my original full 8k kit ordered via kickstarter?

You got the headset you paid for. You were not given one of the stretch goals you paid no money for so you will be reimbursed in the amount of zero dollars and zero cents. Case closed.

2 Likes

No. @Sweviver just said he can’t confirm if there are new lenses if I understand correctly?

1 Like

I think his name is Leonard French. I’ve seen a couple of his videos

2 Likes

As mentioned, the Pimax eye tracking is supportig wide FOV; which HTC’s version doesnt. And the upgrade from narrow FOV eye tracking to wide is a huge ongoing project. Its not as simple as you may think. There is a reason why XTAL eye tracking only worked for IPD adjustment and nothing more than that. Because that version (Leap Motion) could not handle wide FOV at all

15 Likes