Unofficial Pimax Day 2 Questions Megathread

Is there any possible way to use all of cooling fans, eye trackers, and leap motion at once without attaching extra USB hub?

3 Likes

There are only 2 USB connectors on the 5K+/8K, one on top and another on the bottom. It is possible that a module (like the fans) could have a pass-through USB connection, so that you could plug another module into the first. I’m not sure how likely that is, since it adds to the expense of a module.

2 Likes

Wow I couldn’t think about pass-through connenction. Should hope Pimax consider about that.

2 Likes

Yes I was just looking online at the usb options. Pimax needs to address this.

3 Likes

I believe they already said that modules could be piggy backed, would have a usb port on them.

2 Likes

7 More days till October Ends.

3 Likes

Count me in the ‘was not surprised’ column when this month comes and goes without a word.

5 Likes

I hope not unless @SweViver plans to stay in China forever.

1 Like

Maybe? But no where is it required that they do the next presentation live.

2 Likes

Don’t give them any idea like that.:persevere:

5 Likes

I kinda feel bad for @generic

I wanted it to be 3,14 Day^2 but did not manage to get the power up on the day … ;-).
Damn hope to hear and see the team soon! And get all the infos and dates - will there be a roadmap online on the new site? ( what can we order when or better when will and can what be shipped).

Edit:
I gathered some pending questions along other conversation‘s:

• how and is the plastic of the 5k+/8k enhanced and will RMAs be updated to that?
  • are the „snowflake issues“ supposedly caused by the cables sorted out ( new and old models - for the X that might be worth a dopple check so that It isolated well).
  • What will the max/min IPD be on the new models (identical?)
1 Like

I am concerned about this too. It looks like the only useful way of using both is to mount the fans upside down on the bottom of the headset. This is a little annoying because iirc the most effective way to reduce face sweating is by blowing air on the forehead. Honestly, I think they should manufacture two holes in the comfort kit to allow airflow.

You could always mount the comfort kit upside down and rest it on your chin.:upside_down_face:i

3 Likes

If Parallel Projection is ticked, then Fixed Foveated Rendering (FFR) won’t work. Maybe that’s the problem?

1 Like

Can the 8K+ XR and 8KX XR be talked about as well? I’d like to see newer additions to the XR lineup, all these new headsets on the market (not just pimaxes) have been making me ask where is the OLED at? Also whats the status on the implementation of dynamic distortion correction, new lenses, and dynamic foveated rendering to address eye strain and fish bowl distortion effect + what design improvements have been made to ensure against defective models?

+1 for the idea of an eye relief face cover bracket to bring lenses further or closer, that leaves the hmd lens design and distance from lenses to screen the same whilst allowing eyes to get closer or further away.

3 Likes

Essentially correct.

FFR can be worth the tradeoff at high-resolutions. CPU impact is minimal. GPU improvement is enough to maintain >32Hz with a Pimax 5k+ at 1.6x super-resolution and normal FOV.

That said, CPU with DCS World is already a hard bottleneck much closer to hardware limits, due to single-threading, and this is getting alarmingly worse.

Silicon Lottery De-Lidded 5.1GHz i9-9900KF (~5.3GHz)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra (~2050MHz)

1 Like

FYI - It seems to work in Elite Dangerous.

1 Like

I tried FFR both with Parallel Projection on and off, and in both cases the performance saving seemed to be zero.

1 Like

I tried FFR a few months ago on an older Pitool with an RTX 2060. It worked in Elite Dangerous with Parallel Projections on. I got around a 38% FPS boost on the lowest setting.

I made a post about it with frame timing graphs showing the boost captured by an Nvidia benchmarking tool. Here

Edit: So, unless they broke FFR in a newer Pitool, FFR does work with Parallel Projections on and does provide a boost in Elite Dangerous.

There may be an issue with DCS and FFR or as others mentioned it could be that your FPS in that game is not primarily GPU bound.

2 Likes