Unofficial Pimax Day 2 Questions Megathread

Basically I will compile any questions you guys want answered into this thread and update it every 6-10hrs or whenever I’m free. When Pimax Day 2 comes I’ll update the thread with all the questions that are answered. I figure this would be better since the last event didn’t have a thread like this and everyone who came late and didn’t want to watch the stream were confused.

I’ll start. I’ll add more categories for easy reference as more questions are compiled.

-Rugged Edition

What is the Price of the Rugged Edition?
What is the Warranty on Rugged Edition? (Is there additional Warranty?)
Can 8KX pledgers upgrade to the 8KX RE? If yes, for how much?
What is the weight of the 8KX RE vs the normal 8KX?
Is there a comfort difference between 8KX and 8KX RE?

-Eyetracking functionality

Will eye trackers work with GTX 10xx GPUs?
How much perf. boost is expected from Dynamic Foveated Rendering, to make 300$ price worth(eye trackers cost)?

-Coupon/Controllers/Discounts

Will backers be able to use the $100 wireless coupon to reduce to cost of the controller swap to index?
Can I add the ‘free’ 100$ backer discount on the eye tracking module to the discount on the 8KX?
What discount applies for pre-orders for the 5k+ or 8k to upgrade to the 8K+ / 8KX? Is it the same as for backers eg $100?
Will pre-orderers receive a free MAS as previously promised?
If a pre-order for controllers / basestations is cancelled, and I don’t want to buy an 8K+ or 8KX, can I get a refund? Alternatively, what else can the money given to Pimax be spent on?

-Questions about the hardware:

Is a cable extension (1-2m) possible for the 8KX (Status update?)
Are there plans to support Virtual Link on Nvidia RTX cards (cable/adapter)?
When will normal (5k+/8k) backers be able to order a 8KX?
When will backers receive their base stations?
When can we download the 3D files for prescription lens adapters?
Is there an update on the wireless module?
Which add-ons can be combined (see also this thread )?
What is the lastest info on support inside-out tracking plans?
Will inside-out tracking feature dual RGB camera passthrough?
Is it technically feasible to support SLI configurations on RTX cards for the 8KX or 8K+? Are there any plans by Pimax to do so? If not, could it theoretically be done with an open source solution?
What are the minimum and recommended specifications for running an 8KX, especially in terms of GPU?
Comfort kit - will an alternative ‘sweat-free’ pad be made available, perhaps utilising similar material to the Index facepad?
What refresh rate does 8KX/8K+ panels support? Will it be possible to increase refresh rate on smaller FOV settings similar to 5k+? For example large 75 HZ, normal 85 HZ, small 95 HZ?
Will there be an extended warranty on the 8K X?
Is new cable for Pimax 8KX compatible with Pimax 5K+?
If yes can 5K+ achieve 120hz with large FOV with it?
Is 120hz achievable on 5K+ and 8KX with eye-tracking module?
Is 120hz achievable on 5K+ and 8KX with Fixed Foveated Rendering?
Can the hand tracking and eye tracking operate simultaneously?
How and is the plastic of the 5k+/8k enhanced and will RMAs be updated to that?
Are the „snowflake issues“ supposedly caused by the cables sorted out ( new and old models - for the X that might be worth a dopple check so that It isolated well).
What will the max/min IPD be on the 8K+ and 8KX?
Index controllers and Base Station upgrade from Valve - does Pimax or Valve ship the units to customers? For example, what happens if a customer lives in a country that Valve do not ship to?
Is there any possible way to use all of cooling fans, eye trackers, and leap motion at once without attaching extra USB hub?
What is Pimax’s plan to address the need for heavy modability for each individual user with 3rd party mods such as Velcro and 3rd party face foams to get the correct viewing distance adjustment?
Is there a plan of action to address distortion and eye strain caused by incorrect viewing distance which many users have experienced? Possibly by implementing a viewing distance adjustment to make eyes closer or further away from lenses at all?

-Questions about the software:

When will the most recent version of PiTool be available on Github?
Will Pimax also open source the HMD firmware?
When will the steam keys for both VR games be send to the backers?
When can we download the new piTool with 120hz?
Any update on brainwarp with regards to “Smart Smoothing”?
Is any software capable to use the Pimax Eye tracking module already / upcoming implementations?
Could there be any future issues with maintaining both Steam and Oculus support? Eg could Oculus have any legal case to force Pimax to end support for Oculus compatibility?
My questions are, will BrainWarp 1.5 include “Smart Boost” aka 180/160/120hz mode or ETA on BW 2.0?

-Questions about the business

When and where will Pimax open a support center in Europe?
Are there any plans to deliver the Pimax headsets to retailers/shops to give people the opportunity to try the headset? (Or how i would call it: You must try it or you won´t believe/buy it)
Will you produce a public product roadmap to help buyers make future purchasing decisions?

-Misc
Where can I apply to be an eye tracking beta tester?
Can we do a one step RMA and upgrade?

-Pre-order discounts and promises

What discount applies for pre-orders for the 5k+ or 8k to upgrade to the 8K+ / 8KX? Is it the same as for backers eg $100?
Will pre-orderers receive a free MAS as previously promised?
If a pre-order for controllers / basestations is cancelled, and I don’t want to buy an 8K+ or 8KX, can I get a refund? Alternatively, what else can the money given to Pimax be spent on?
Is there a discount on the 8KX for 8KX backers (2nd Unit)?

18 Likes

Will eye trackers work with GTX 10xx GPUs?

3 Likes

Will backers be able to use the $100 wireless coupon to reduce to cost of the controller swap to index? Since its currently at $179

2 Likes

I will poke @SweViver @Matthew.Xu and @PimaxUSA here to notice.
Edit. added some tags to fit the topic.

1 Like

Questions about the hardware:

• Is a cable extension (1-2m) possible for the 8KX (Status update?)
  • Are there plans to support Virtual Link on Nvidia RTX cards (cable/adapter)?
  • When will normal (5k+/8k) backers be able to order a 8KX?
  • When will backers reveive their base stations?
  • When can we download the 3D files for prescription lens adapters?
  • Is there an update on the wireless module?

Questions about the software:

• When will the steam keys for both VR games be send to the backers?
  • When can we download the new piTool with 120hz?
  • Any update on brainwarp with regards to “Smart Smoothing”?
  • Is any software capable to use the Pimax Eye tracking module already / upcoming implementations?

Questions about the business

• Are there any plans to deliver the Pimax headsets to retailers/shops to give people the opportunity to try the headset?
  • Or how i would call it: You must try it or you won´t believe/buy it :smile:
6 Likes

Good question guys, keep em coming. We will do our best to answer them all!

Need to sleep now… :joy:

7 Likes

Can I add the ‘free’ part of the eye tracking module to the discount on the 8KX?

2 Likes

Updated the list. Hopefully we get all our queries answered.

4 Likes
  • Where can I apply to be an eye tracking beta tester?
  • When will the most recent version of PiTool be available on Github?
  • Will Pimax also open source the HMD firmware?
  • When and where will Pimax open a support center in Europe?
  • Which add-ons can be combined (see also this thread)?
  • What is the lastest info on support inside-out tracking plans?
  • Will inside-out tracking feature dual RGB camera passthrough?
4 Likes

@SweViver have a good flight :slight_smile: will you film Pimax behind the scenes?

1 Like

Pre-order discounts and promises

1. What discount applies for pre-orders for the 5k+ or 8k to upgrade to the 8K+ / 8KX? Is it the same as for backers eg $100?
  2. Will pre-orderers receive a free MAS as previously promised?
  3. If a pre-order for controllers / basestations is cancelled, and I don’t want to buy an 8K+ or 8KX, can I get a refund? Alternatively, what else can the money given to Pimax be spent on?

Hardware:

1. Is it technically feasible to support SLI configurations on RTX cards for the 8KX or 8K+? Are there any plans by Pimax to do so? If not, could it theoretically be done with an open source solution?
  2. What are the minimum and recommended specifications for running an 8KX, especially in terms of GPU?
  3. Comfort kit - will an alternative ‘sweat-free’ pad be made available, perhaps utilising similar material to the Index facepad?

Software:

1. Could there be any future issues with maintaining both Steam and Oculus support? Eg could Oculus have any legal case to force Pimax to end support for Oculus compatibility?

Business:

1. Will you produce a public product roadmap to help buyers make future purchasing decisions?
6 Likes

If there is nothing else I want or need from Pimax, then can I get back the $100 coupons as cash, or is that $100 only worth $10.

If the list gets too long for the word limit I’ll use my 2nd post and split up categories there.

1 Like

What refresh rate does 8kx panels support? Will it be possible to increase refresh rate on smaller FOV settings similar to 5k+? For example large 75 HZ, normal 85 HZ, small 95 HZ?

Same question for 8k+, it should have more bandwidth available, as it is upscaled.

Most important question Its 4rth week of october already where’s Pimax Day 2 already?

2 Likes

Week of the 21’st, which i agree most people would consider week 4 but it is technically the third week that starts in October. and I’d expect then to spend as much time as they can get so i’m putting my money on Sunday 27’th being the last day in the third full week of the month.

3 Likes

My questions are, will BrainWarp 1.5 include “Smart Boost” aka 180/160/120hz mode or ETA on BW 2.0? Also how much perf. boost is expected from Dynamic Foveated Rendering, to make 300$ price worth(eye trackers cost)?

1 Like

Question on Backer Discount: How long will the discount be available? Can backers wait a few months to decide?

3 Likes

why not just say end of the month then? leave it to pimax to leave room for interpretation ,confusion and dissapointment.

I’m not disagreeing.