Unofficial Pimax Day 2 Questions Megathread

Could this perhaps mean PiDay2 gets a little delay tiem?

3 Likes

I hope the Basestations are shipping ASAP so, will there be a date at the 3.14 * 2 Day when they are shipped ?

• can’t wait for Rooms Scale :grin: ! Even if it’s just on a 5k for the time being.

I’m in the same boat. Been holding off RMA’ing be 5k+ for a while so I can return that unit as a credit for a 8kx, it’s a better all around. You don’t have to deal with a RMA and I don’t have to wait for that, resell, etc.

2 Likes

We have some nice requests here in this thread that certainly deserve an extra internal meeting to see if it’s at all possible we can accommodate them.

15 Likes

OK, great! Please take all the time you need. We can wait.

2 Likes

@PimaxUSA, @SweViver, @Matthew.Xu, a big request to enlighten us about this as soon as possible.

1. can you confirm that we will not be able to exchange our current 8K and 5K + for new 8K + and 8KX with a surcharge?

2. And what can you say about replacing panels in our 8K with new panels from 8K + and 8KX? Is any of this possible?

If we can’t do any of this, then I will start selling my 8K, so that I can later buy 8K + or 8KX.
And I don’t see any reason to keep the current 8K if there are no opportunities for its upgrade.
I just don’t want to waste time.

3 Likes

Thanks for taking our requests under consideration Kevin!
Looking forward to PD2 a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Pimaxusa @Matthew.Xu Would pimax consider the development of new aspheric or hybrid fresnel-aspheric lenses using this formula or one of the formulas in the related articles provided in these journal articles linked below?

Maybe plastic aspherics are the solution to keep the cost and weight low ? The supposed cost of custom lenses is as little as $2000, and around $2-$10 each in bulk orders per unit according to this article. (these guys also do custom lenses)

Also,there have been talks within Pimax regarding Pimax looking at new lense developments(also quoted below), @Pimaxusa can this be an item of discussion in the next update?

https://www.osapublishing.org/oe/abstract.cfm?uri=oe-26-18-23751

https://www.osapublishing.org/ao/abstract.cfm?uri=ao-57-31-9341

https://www.osapublishing.org/josaa/abstract.cfm?uri=josaa-34-3-335

2 Likes

@PimaxUSA If you will revisit all the options as you say, what about a face cover bracket with an in built retractable/expandable viewing distance dial to bring the lenses closer or further to the eyes, to not have to rely on velcro or 3rd party facecovers to get a clear picture?

its not an ideal solution for customers to have to rely on an out of the box 3rd party face cushion such as odessey+ VRcover in order to get the correct viewing distance with Pimax, and Pimax would get a lot of public favor for trying to address eyestrain and distortion by implementing a viewing distance dial in a bracket which holds and moves the face cushion, dynamic distortion correction in software and developing new non fresnel lenses.

Also, would you please discuss the new controller design in the next update which looks nothing like the old design shown in 2018? It was originally discussed in your interview with MRTV in Feb 2019, but the controller design showcased on Pimax Day 1 is still the same and we haven’t heard any news yet.

5 Likes

@PimaxUSA Please consider adding a face cover for adjusting the distance to the screen.

1 Like

How about an additional bundle bonus? If we get eye tracking, hand tracking and the new headset. Like an order three items and save. It may prevoke us to spend on additional items. Or simply throw in an additional comfort kit with every order.

Wait now I sound like I’m on pimax marketing team…how about just giving all backers everything free?:lollipop::lollipop::nazar_amulet::nazar_amulet::cyclone::cyclone::free::free::free::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Their suspense tactic is to provoke us to jump… pretty brilliant of them! At this point they have had us captivated for over two years, now we all can have an “X”. :shushing_face::thinking::zipper_mouth_face::flushed::face_with_raised_eyebrow::smirk:

1 Like

There is a joke about coming full circle there, somewhere, but I can’t quite nail it down. :stuck_out_tongue:

We are still waiting to hear anything about whether the new “comfort kit” (…which should be default, imho, and not a separate product) will offer any such adjustability. I will take the silence as a negative, until further notice, though.

5 Likes

Any information on if we have absolute confirmation if the 8kX can use a 2m extension cable?

1 Like

I’m a Semi-Professional DCS World Virtual Pilot and I use the Pimax 5k+, I’ve convinced a few others to make the switch from various HMD’s, really looking forward to the 8kX, I also sent a letter to your email address at globalbusiness@pimaxvr.com with an inquiry.

I was wondering about your hand tracking module and testing for it in flight simulators and how it integrated into game engines, IE; is it a mouse emulator, a steam vr controller emulator ect.

Also the support for Pimax devices in DCS World has lagged a bit behind the more popular and cheaper devices, I was wondering if you guys had development kits or software teams that could reach out to Eagle Dynamics to help with support for Pimax users, like it still takes setting parallel projection to get the “vr zoom” function to work properly which cuts already low performance drastically. Also the foveated rendering function in pitool while does visually change what you see in the HMD appears to have zero impact on in game performance.\

If you would like any assistance with testing features and function such as hand tracking & eye tracking for DCS World please reach out to me.

3 Likes

@PimaxUSA @SweViver @Matthew.Xu

1 Like

That means that the GPU probably isn’t the limiting factor in the framerate, at least for part of the pipeline.

3 Likes

One factor that DCS doesnt gain from FFR is probably because its tanking the main CPU cores already, and ive noticed FFR, while it eases off the GPU, it increases CPU usage. Or am i completely off the track now? :slight_smile:

Good idea btw @kazansky22

5 Likes

OK I have another question in regards to the comfort kit; I’m not seeing, given its design, how we are going to be able to integrate the cooling fans effectively with it installed. Cooling fans are meant to blow directly onto your forehead and the comfort kits massive forehead pad seems to cover the entire top half of your head. This is going to make using it incredibly hot. Overheating in VR is already a problem, this comfort kit, especially if it renders the cooling fans useless, is going to be a massive problem if it is how I envision it.

I wish the comfort kit didn’t have a solid piece of plastic blocking the top half of your head, having two small holes the size of each cooling fan could work to fix this issue. Since Pimax is no longer creating the cooling fans themselves, have they actually gotten a pair in and matched it up with the comfort kit? Can you speak to this a little during the livestream? At this point, to me, it feels like you are meant to choose between one or the other.

10 Likes

I’m also wondering about the cooling fans and comfort kit. This past summer, I definitely needed more cooling than A/C and a room fan.

Honestly, with a counterweight, I find the current cloth straps fairly comfortable. I can wear my 8K for over 5 hours straight and the only thing I find uncomfortable is heat build-up during the hot months.

I’ve made a gap in the foam at the top, so that there’s at least some airflow (every little bit helps). I didn’t cut the foam I just added a piece of double-sided Velcro on each side of the face-pad, leaving a 2 cm gap in the middle.

3 Likes