What Pimax news from CES?

I’d still like to know what the sooper-seeeekrit device was, exactly; Denied-answers curiousity is most nagging curiousity. :stuck_out_tongue:

So not the 12k, but something with either the 12k lenses, or lenses much like them; And not something likely to make a product – just an in-house experiment…

…sooo, simply a 12k prototype with 8kX, or Crystal display panels, in lieu of having any of the ones intended for the 12k? …or something else, entirely?

Then there is Martin’s playing down the 12k… This could be plain making an effort to direct attention to current products; Ooor it could, e.g, be utter disillusionment with 12k results – who uninitiated could tell…? :7

1 Like

That would be best as it seems to be a misunderstanding of what was said.

It was not. It’s just that it would end in a lot of bickering. Let’s not go there.

Yes your opinion & his on what was intended is not in alignment. It’s a new year with many new beginnings. Let’s move forward with positive momentum.

He clarified his intent with his response conceding there was some whom seen distortions but that number was relatively low in volume.

:v::sunglasses::+1:

This is a good suggestion. The 12K will certainly be most attractive to PCVR players.
Dispensing with standalone and wifi makes sense to me. People who want to play standing could still do so just as they do with the index or 8KX.
Pimax might even be able to drop the price a bit. On the other hand, the base tracking is already created as a separate module, so I’d keep the internal tracking.

1 Like

Whether it were ‘none’ or ‘very few’ was obviously not even my point, that’s pretty much the same thing. My point was that he always tries to blame things on people. Another very recent example is the 4090 lag issue thread where he first tried to blame it on the specific user’s hardware:

This has been going on since the beginning. It’s always first the user and/or his hardware. That’s his standard first line of ‘defence’. Just ask Bradley, same thing, he said Pimax employees looked at him like there was something wrong with HIM when he reported the problems he saw. That’s just so typical.

Distortion itself, in the beginning was pretty much due to the user not having good eyes, or something along those lines, odd facial shapes he even once said.

And now the most recent one is the blur. “Only 1 guy reported it out of a zillion”, implicating that it must be him somehow.

But yeah, like I said, let’s not go over all that again please.
:v::sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

You need your own version of “aplushhh” to add to this.

Hahaha I just copy-pasted Helio above. But yeah the a-phlushsss fart would have made it even better LOL

I mean, the Index 2 (Deckard), still seems like some kind of pipe dream.
Valve is teasing stuff (intentionally?) in their software that people like Sadley has brought up a few times last year. Yet nothing really conclusive enough IMO to think we’d get the Deckard in 2023.

Maybe Valve is simply a company that doesn’t like to make official announcements unless they have a high degree of certainty that they can hit their targets. (which I respect)

2 Likes

Another vastly out of context example. You fail to mention I worked with numerous people on that and found afterburner was the cause for many. It didn’t solve all of them and the 3 additional instances I turned over all information I could gather to the engineering team.

Your 2nd example wasn’t even me that spoke to Bradley at CES. On that one it was I who tested and found that they included the wrong lenses and I immediately published this information.

Unfortunately these examples are emblematic of your average post. Very little objectivity and going big on subjectivity with a bias that would make politicians blush.

On a side note with bradley when he came to orlando - I had his entire video as it was filmed on my camera. Knowing what was said I turned over the entire thing, raw, and gave the courtesy of him using it anyway he saw fit.

4 Likes

Ya but you said “Let’s not go there” then you went there in 2 subsequent posts and now point out you already said it.
Come on now. Happy CNY :smiley:

5 Likes

I’m not saying that in the end Pimax acknowledges and even tries to solve the issue. You guys at some point (mostly) do. You first ridiculed the users who reported distortion. Now, supposedly it’s solved with the new lenses in the Crystal. I’m just saying it’s always your first reaction to first blame (and even ridicule) the user and his hardware.

That could be so. It seems it’s indeed Pimax culture now. I saw it in the video too where Sweviver and Josh talked to MRTV where he brought up the lens issue. They looked at him like he was some idiot in that video when he brought up the issue. It made me actually feel bad for MRTV. Luckily he stood up for himself and defended his point. But yeah it gives you an idea how they treated Bradley.

Hehe that’s very nice of a Pimax manager to say to his paying customers. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a company manager insult as much of his own customers like you do on this forum. You’re very special in that sense indeed. I can’t imagine Pimax China is happy with that. Actually Helio once told me they indeed weren’t but well, they’re not taking action on it neither. You do realize it does cost you sales though, right? Especially when someone’s on the fence, it matters. And even more so when people have an alternative (now with crystal vs aero for example). It matters how you treat the people who pay your salary

Pimax should not comment on blushes when Portal only got 605 backers, Crystal lenses were mixed up, no Wifi6e, no finished Crystal cable which made a PCVR headset reliant on a battery. No stand-alone store for a stand-alone headset. A company that doesn’t know if there’s 1 or 2 batteries in the box. It’s embarrassing.

I mean CES2023 was Pimaxes time to shine but all it did was show how detached from reality Pimax are. Crystal, Portal and 12k still prototypes. Launching in October, January, February….

A COO based in Florida when Operations are in China. How does that even work? It’s crazy to watch.

2 Likes

It indeed all is. A manager who repeatedly attacks his own clients on the forum. The portal which was a horrible idea from the get-go, now failed in kickstarter but they’re still clinging on to it and investing time, energy and money in it. Marketing people who look at youtubers like they’re crazy, when they’re pointing out problems with their products. Getting a huge booth at CES and then showing the wrong product version, with incorrectly adjusted lenses. Portal backing actually DROPPING after CES while more than half of their huge booth was dedicated to it. Crystal which is supposed to ship but the hardware is not even ready and software even way less ready, which people supposedly should buy for a hefty sum and choose over a well developed competing product like the Aero. A beta test that they start AFTER the product launch, with people who actually paid for the product… Let’s say it’s ‘interesting’ to follow for sure.

1 Like

Yes, tempers are boiling up, dirty laundry is already being washed. If you have friends like that, you don’t need enemies. Finally the forum is back what it is loved for. Tip to Pimax, stop all developments, save your nerves and let the users continue to be happy with the technology from the day before yesterday. :see_no_evil:

My tips to Pimax:

1. Drop the Portal. It was a bad idea from the beginning and can actually ruin you.
  2. Focus on wide FoV gaming headsets. That’s where your experience lies, that’s what your known for and that’s where there is 0 competition
  3. Treat clients and youtubers with respect
  4. Get a COO in China, who actually is there to manage
  5. Don’t promise release dates anymore. Release things when they’re ready
  6. Do a beta test with 15-20 users BEFORE product launch. Finalize hardware only after a success.
1 Like

… …
We all make missteps from time to time and we’re all not perfect, that’s true.

However, I think we all respect people who own up to their missteps and correct them rather than dance around issues or even go on the defensive.

I appreciate PIMAX’s presence on these forums. However, they’re public forums where people may criticize, even incorrectly, various things.
Some criticism may be well-deserved, depending…
Some things can actually be learned from criticism if people can resist getting their feathers all ruffled.

I personally do not believe it does PIMAX any points to argue with potential consumers of their products.

I understand why a PIMAX representative may wish to take a position of defense. However, others on these forums will, and typically point out things that are in error without any need for PIMAX to take any defensive position or be part of some heated banter back and forth.
Whether right or wrong, it simply doesn’t look good. It’s not professional, and it simply doesn’t lend any confidence regarding how PIMAX conducts its affairs.

PIMAX is a company trying to make a good product, and just like everyone else, they’re not perfect and unfortunately there’s some history there in regards to how PIMAX has conducted its business and communication.
That’s up to PIMAX to improve if they feel it necessary and they’re able to.

I think it’s perfectly fine for PIMAX to ‘clarify’ things and ‘correct’ things, especially missteps. Own up to any that need to be owned up to. People will have more respect for that rather than combative posturing, whether it’s deemed warranted or justified or not.

:popcorn: :wink:

3 Likes

It indeed is - it’s also difficult when you can’t put the finger on the issue. During the road show event at MRTV’s I discussed my feeling of a convergence issue with Sebastian and when he reported his finding, that he was better off not using his spectacles, we agreed that something was off and I felt that there was confirmation that I was on to something there. Yet admittedly I didn’t grab any of the Pimax employees to tell them about it. This kind of confrontational message in their face just is awkward enough but when you have read reports of the occasional “if you have an issue, it’s because you are doing something wrong” responses it made me even wish less to enter such a discussion. And I would be reporting it on this forum anyhow so they’d read it eventually.

Sigh
To me this has grown to be the hardware equivalent to the successor of Skyrim - you expect it to be right around the corner by now, because boy have we been waiting for a long time now, but it just won’t materialize…

2 Likes

Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if it would be another year without a new Index. Really really too bad because Valve has shown how to make good hardware.

1 Like

It’s just a grand total of 3 people here who are bias to a point where objective discussions aren’t really possible. Defensive vs. that, sure.

As a general rule with just those few exceptions the conversation here is critical but objective. All but a few users here are here to be informative or learn.

There’s no avoiding that bad actors will be a part of this sort of thing.

2 Likes