[Pimax's updates] Solutions to feedback and Special customer service for backers

Would you say that it looks like this?

ctia_compatibility

If that is the case it could mean that your socket’s left audio has issues.

• If you plug it in all the way, then the connections are LS-LP (left socket - left plug) and RS-RP. The audio only plays out of the right ear because the LS isn’t working.

• If you plug it in as shown above, then the connections are LS-nothing, RS-LP, and GS-RP. The audio only plays out of the left ear because RP is grounded (no signal). However, if you pay attention you will notice that the signal coming to left ear is actually the right side audio (RS).

4 Likes

Pimax’s statement here does not fall in line with my experience, not even close.
They are saying one thing out in the open but in practice…

My Pimax 8K has been down since 11-27-18.
Physically turned it off 11-20-18, left for a week, came back to unresponsive device.
No lights when power button is pressed.
Swapped power adapter, verified connections to no avail.
What has Pimax done to help after contact till now?

“Paraphrased”

Me: 12-6-18, Been away for a while but recently returned.
The 8K was working when I left but now when the power button is pressed, nothing happens, no lights, no detection, nothing.

Response: 12-7-18: Restart Piservicelauncher, what color are the lights & what is the PiTool status indicating?

Me: 12-9-18, The headset does not appear to be receiving any power whatsoever.
Recently tried a new universal power adapter but it still does not work.
My Vive controllers & lighthouses are also not detected anymore. (PiTool screenshot included)

Response: 12-11-18, Picture code(10500)indicates something wrong with the USB interface. Swap USB ports and check the DP interface on the HMD.

Me: 12-11-18, I’ve given it a look and everything looks good since the day received.
The USB and Displayport cable are snug on videocard and cable on HMD is also snug.
HMD is not receiving any power but the wall socket and the ports work with other devices

Response: 12-11-18, Offers remote assistance.
Response: 12-12-18, Warns of the system closing Ticket if no response from me within 1 day.

Me: 12-12-18, Could not access website yesterday and Remote assistance would need to be scheduled between 9am EST-5pm EST.
Response: 12-13-18, PC specs requested and is there something wrong with USB Driver?

Me: 12-13-18, Everything appears good on my side and my Rift CV1 along with Pimax 4K still works from the same ports which the 8K no longer behaves.
The 8K has barely been in use from when received because time is not on my side.
PC Specs supplied, If we are to schedule an Remote assistance session, TeamViewer alternative will be needed because my Win 10 Enterprise edition will not allow anymore connections.

Response: 12-14-18, Photo of DP port on the headset and the PC requested, can the adapter be checked with multimeter?
No lights indicate problem with DP port & adapter.

Me: 12-14-18, Do not have multi-meter but my universal Power Adapter also did not work.
(PC DP ports, HMD cable photos supplied)

Response: 12-17-18, Has the power adapter been connected, the photo does not show the power adapter.

Me: 12-18-18, The adapter still works with some of my other supported devices like media players. (Power adapter photo supplied)

Response: 12-18-18, Can you please plug the power adapter after pressing three button(volume and power)?and tell me what happened?

Me: 12-18-18, Nothing happens when pressing the volume buttons+power button not even when keeping them held in & plugging in the adapter.
PC undetection remains as well as no signs of life from the HMD like lights.

3 Likes

@anon74848233. can you look into cmm’s ticket plz?

Sorry to hear. If you have another pc available try seeing if it gets a response. I will stop being lazy & dig mine out & try some dry testing (ie no pc)

OK, if I push the jack in really slowly and carefully first there is sound in the left ear but not the right, if I continue to push the jack in intil it clicks the sound moves to the right ear and the left goes dead. It is impossible to get both working at once.

1 Like

Well, that seems to confirm my previous theory.

To verify that is the case you could try listening to some in-game audio (ie person talking, loud noises, etc) and see if the sound coming through the left ear is actually right side audio.

2 Likes

Tried second PC but no power getting to the HMD stops progress.
I’m out of ideas.
Would the HMD auto-update firmware without any prompts from an idle PC user?

1 Like

Not that I am aware of. Not being used though would think should have been fine. Was it plugged in the whole time? (Should have been fine if it was) Though I always unhook & store due to :cat: & potential wire snacking.

Maybe they got a batch of mono connectors cheap and soldered them in and thought “well, most of those backers are on half-deaf anyway”

But seriously I can think of:

1. Plug doesnt go deep enough. Reason: socket too deep in the headset, plug cant reach the bottom.
  2. Plug doesnt go deep enough. Reason: plug cant reach the bottom because the socket gives away because of a badly secured PCB
  3. Socket not properly soldered (not all pins soldered)
  4. Other fuckery happened.

Is the plug with 3 or 4 connector surfaces? Should be 3 probably like @Davebobman is saying

4 Likes

HMD was connected the entire time but the HMD was physically turned off.
Come to think of it when the PC is rebooted which likely happened for Win updates, the HMD turns back on.
These HMD’s go through rigorous testing & power failure seems ridiculous but alas.

1 Like

Or socket like the 3.5" disk fiasco with IBM ps2 all in one drives. The socket is not matching connection points either by depth or thickness.

If had my vernier could measure plug diameters.

Any of the above are all possible & needs to b3 evaluated.

@anon74848233 can your team release plug specification of manufacturer?

Ie type of 3.5mm socket & diameter connection tolerances.

If any backer has a vernier or micrometer maybe we could measure plug diameters.

2 Likes

That sucks for sure. Hopefully @anon74848233 @Sean.Huang can expedite this apparent hmd failure issue.

Okay performed only wall adapter plugged in. Hmd status light Red. Blue chevron blinks(likely due to storing parallel projection setting in hmd.

If headset not doing anything then it would seem to have become defective(maybe a power fuse/resister in hmd burnt out).

@anon74848233 & @Sean.Huang reccommend helping get this expedited for rma process.

I’m sorry Helio, I was still playing with C64 that time.

2 Likes

Tape drives & 5.25" external drives the size of a large itx pc. :beers::smirk::+1::sparkles::joy:

1 Like

Just tested it how you said and only have the right channel working in either left of right ear…well spotted.

3 Likes

Yea I forgot to unplug the power adapter thus the next day the Pimax was on. So for everyone don’t have Pitool launch on startup as it will display a static image which can cause burn in.

2 Likes

Request for ticket number from Dallas occurred weeks ago.
After it was supplied, there has been no further contact.

2 Likes

@anon74848233 @Sean.Huang @Pimax-Support can you assist helping Cmm get this issue resolved. I can imagine things have been pretty busy, but as @neal_white_iii has said your customer support is very critical with being an emerging company.

3 Likes

whut? the pimax has an off button. use it.

1 Like

If pc reboots or something it will turn on again.

1 Like