Swapped Vive for Pimax 8k, headset tracking works but not controllers

I just got my brand new Pimax 8k a week early! Woo

I installed Pitool off the website, then unplugged the Vive’s HDMI, power, and USB cable, then plugged in the Pimax headset. Pitool detects the headset, but it doesn’t show blue icons for the basestations or controllers

If I click “Start SteamVR”, the display works, and 6 DOF tracking on the headset works. I can look around my SteamVR menu using the headset

The SteamVR popup only shows the Pi headset icon, and doesn’t show the basestations or controllers

I tried the workaround of rebooting the Pi service/apps and SteamVR in the order posted on the forums as well as a few other random configurations of that and rebooting my desktop/headset, but haven’t had any luck getting the controllers or basestations to show up in Pitool or SteamVR

2 Likes

Make sure the base stations are MORE than 2 m away from the headset (only necessary for first-time use).

You might want to try swapping USB ports for the connections; that seems to be the source of some issues. I’ve seen recommendations to use the direct motherboard ports or 3rd party adapter board and suggestions to NOT use the USB connecters on the front of your case.

1 Like

Congrats! Bumped your user level up 1.

@anon74848233 @Sean.Huang can you add him to early backers.

@EarlyBackers will get others attention whom may have vive LHes & controllers.

1 Like

I just received mine in the USA just about an hour ago. I have a similar issue. The controllers do not connect in PiTool but the base stations and headset do. Steam VR shows the headset and the base stations and i can use the pairing to pair them to SteamVR. Even after pairing SteamVR does not show them. I changed to a different usb port and that fixed it. now works perfectly. Joy, Joy.

1 Like

Jim which headset did you receive?

@anon74848233 @Sean.Huang can you add to early backers group?

Did you go through pimax home setup where it pairs the controllers to the headset and setups standing or area experience?

Edit: just saw that it works now. Great!

I found this issue with all device although they show blue icon, I have to delete all file in lighthouse folder and restart piservice. Although I can solved the fisrt problem of disconnect, when I swap to vive and back to pimax, I need to do some old step.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-solve-disconnect-or-not-tracking-of-headset-base-station-controller-randomly-image-follow-head-although-not-use-base-station-pitool-91/11776?u=bubbleball

1 Like

5K+ 20 characterSSSSSSSsss

1 Like

Does anyone else have only one earphone in the vive DAS headset working on pimax? I put the DAS on and it is great except I can’t get both headphones working. it seems like the plug does not go in far enough. your thoughts?

1 Like

Have you tried tapping the plug? I tried a basic dollar store set & found only one ear till i tapped the plug in.

@Davebobman suggested might not be a standard 3.5mm jack aa there is something likev3 versions.

I haven’t received a response yet from @NickDBaker but I figured that the issue was probably this:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimaxs-updates-solutions-to-feedback-and-special-customer-service-for-backers/11534/41?u=davebobman

EDIT: Just received a response.

1 Like

My DAS audio cable just clicks in and works.

Seems that your audio connection in the hmd is loose/bad connected. Be careful to not loose it completely. Maybe you can somehow equalize the force when you push the plug in. Sounds as if the plug of the DAS does not fully go in…

3 Likes

Sometimes the order you turn the wands on matters, try to turn them on even before booting the Pimax and with pitool closed, or before booting SteamVR, or turn them on the last thing after booting steamvr, it has happened to me a few times that they are not detected even though LH and Pimax are detected and Pimax software is not too stable with wands and LHs detection.

3 Likes