Pimax 8kx 3m Club 3D Extension Cable problem snow and picture flikering

Will do… :+1::upside_down_face:

Judging by what @samyrden said I better not get my hope up too high… :woozy_face:

directly, not using an extension. i would even prefer a 2-3m cable

Where can we find that signal data? I tried to find it and couldn’t locate it. Cheers.

2 Likes

I haven’t found it. Figured it’s in the next pitool, omitted from current by mistake. I’d like to be wrong.

I bet @neal_white_iii has the same question… I remember a thread where he was asking where it could be found. I don’t recall a resolution.

There was. It’s not a control in PiTool. Instead, if you have an 8KX, PiTool will display a popup warning box, if the signal is low.

1 Like

I was able to get the 3m Club 3D extension working with my 8KX with no snow or picture issues. I have a 1080 (not Ti) Strix. Both of the display ports worked with the extension. Interestingly I also have the cable matters repeater and when I put it in the chain, nothing works at all no mater the length of the extension that I use (tried a 1m club 3D cable and a 0.5m monoprice cable, both rated for 1.4 speeds). My 5K plus works with the repeater, but the 8KX does not work with the repeater in the chain, so all of this seems to depend on several variables, cable length, resolution, cable quality/rating, and video card output.

2 Likes

Update…I just played a bit of beatsaber and noticed a tiny bit of sparkling on the screen before the game fully loads. I don’t notice it when I am actually playing games so far.

PimaxUSA says they include signal strength measurements though. I’m wondering if there is a misscommunication between the teams.

You can see it under “help” -> “diagnose” but only when connected obviously… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Awesome, thankyou. …

1 Like

Just posting to confirm another case of the club 3D 3m cable not fully working with the 8KX. I get snow from all my display ports with it. Some are worse but all show the issue.

Also, for info : my much cheaper 1.8m Rankie one, that works perfectly with my 5K+, is not perfect but works much better than the club 3m one. I still have the snow, but a lot less of it.

1 Like

For me the cable doesnt work at all,i get no connection… I realy need a longer cable…
So this was a wasted off money

1 Like

UPDATE: Linked repeater + cable didn’t work either so I’ve ordered a 5m fiber optic cable to go with the repeater:

When I’m done, I’ll try to compile a Wiki post with working solutions… :wink:

7 Likes

By the way, I would really like to know if Type-C with Intel Thunderbolt 3, as provided by a ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen3 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650Ti 4GB MaxQ, will work, even if I have to design custom PCBs to do it. If I go that route, it will be an expensive investment specifically to make the 8kX portable.

My alternative plan is to cram all top-end VR workstation hardware into a custom laptop enclosure, with external DC PSU and sub-zero water/gas/LN2 chilling ports.

Woah, wow that is amazing, I can’t wait to play with that!

Do you know where there’s a list of extension cables that work for the 8k x. I just tried the Club3d DP 1.4 2m 8k60hz cable and it didnt work. I saw a bunch of snow and flickering.

1 Like

Your best avenue after that is to use the signal booster.

Also, try each display port on your graphics card, and make sure enough power is going to your usb.

1 Like

Its an Nvidia 3090 FE… Sucks for me i guess. Are you talking about the Lindy Repeater i saw in another thread?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the one.

1 Like

Lol - it’s $115 euros. Thats alot for a DP Repeater. I’ll just wait until pimax makes an extension i guess. Theres nothing else thats cheaper?

1 Like