Confirmed 10m extension

so 10 m on top of the 5 m from pimax’s own cable, 15m all?

I wish they’d just had two standard plugs instead of their own proprietary plug on the headset.

5 Likes

Yes 15m total including the supplied 3-in-1 in cable.

3 Likes

I saw that there is also 20m for almost the same price. Do you think it can work? Because both have the same specifications

I think a 20m extension would be pushing your luck. I surprised that the 10m extension is working, but that is good news.

2 Likes

It’s an optical cable so I’d say the length shouldn’t really matter.

5 Likes

The 10 meter is working because it’s fiber optic, the 5 meter copper in the original pimax cable is probably introducing more noise. maybe when pimax finishes their optical cable version we’ll finally be entirely sparkle free?

2 Likes

Ah, I missed that. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I actually think I have those cables still in their packaging in my home for the past several months. I think I bought them when they were recommended for the Index but never bothered to use them. Probably works for Pimax too.

2 Likes

Just to mention it, these extension cables (fiber optics) should be tucked statically to the wall right? No bending and flexing, and especially no rotation. So we can use them from PC to the top of the ceiling, fixed and static. And from there onwards use the usual cable on a pully system?

2 Likes

You should generally avoid too much bending with fiber optics, yes.

If I need to go that route I’ll definitely mount it.

I’d say You should at least fixate the point where it connects to the headset cable… :wink:

I tried it with the CabelDeconn model and received no signal on my 8KX, yet it worked on my Index.

I will be getting an RTX3090 by the end of the week to see if signal strength on the GPU side is the culprit.

3 Likes

Yup I just tried that same cable, (had already bought it before you commented) and sure enough no go. I even have the powered cable matters repeater and no dice, 10600 error.

The most progress I have made was with a female to male extension cord, it got me to the pimax home screen with some minor snow flakes, but going to steamvr was very glitchy. If only there were a reasonably length female to male fiber optic extension I am fairly confident it would work.

1 Like

Yeah. I really don’t understand why that’s not available either… :lying_face::thinking:

These are 1 way transmission cables, did you try swapping the adapters the other way around?

1 Like

Yeah, they are correctly setup for source and signal. No go.

1 Like

Just added at Lindy 38415 DP repeater to the end of my CableDeconn 15m(!) and it works flawlessly.

Absolutely no snow are image deterioration.

I purchased the repeater from csv-direct.de and it cost a total of €67,92 including shipping via DHL.

Safe to say I’m extremely chuffed.

2 Likes

Tried with the following setup with no success:

Repeater:

Cable:

Also tried other cables to no avail.

So, do I try another cable (fiber optic 5m if that’s available as I don’t need 10m) or the Lindy repeater… :thinking:

EDIT:
I could try with this one as there’s a 5m option:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/YIWENTEC-DisplayPort-32-4Gbps-Optical-Flexible

EDIT2: I’ve ordered it. Fingers crossed… :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I think the gist is, anything beyond 1m to maybe 2m via copper is already a gamble. Fiber optics does work but might need an active repeater, depending on the signal strength of the GPU used.

I will test if I still need the repeater on my RTX3090 tomorrow but will most likely hold on to it in any event as I’m sure the G2 will be just as finicky.

1 Like

You’re probably right… :wink:

Ordered the 5m fiber optical cable linked above… :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.