Pimax 8kx 3m Club 3D Extension Cable problem snow and picture flikering

Based on their track record, I wouldn’t hold my breath. It might be a long wait. When they start to mention testing progress in their weekly updates, add 3 months and you’ll get the “product-in-hand” date. That’s my empirical Pimax formula at least :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@SweViver

I know you’ve been non stop working on PVRE, (and it’s awesome, thanks very much!)

If you do get a breath, please test out your 3m cable again and let us know if it still works for you on your 8KX. I as well bought the 3m club 3d cable recommended (verified model # before buying), and unfortunately it is not working on my new 8KX either. Snow and flickering. Hoping there’s still a chance that it may work with an update!

6 Likes

I too am having the same issues with the Club3D cable extension.

1 Like

Hello all, hello @SweViver

I have just received my cable club 3d 2M, it works perfectly with 8KX =). i will now buy the usb extension cables.
I hope it helps some people !

3 Likes

I’m ready for the X which should arrive on Monday… :+1::upside_down_face:

It seems 3m extensions are just enough (tested using my 5K+)… Phew… :grin:

I can reach every corner of my play space… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I wish you luck with your 8KX and the 3m cable :pray: My 5K+ worked great, but the 8KX is just too much for my 3m cable and my 1080. :cry:

2 Likes

Thanks… I had similar issues with my ASUS ROG Strix 1080 Ti and a 5m DP extension cable, but no issues on my ASUS ROG Strix 2080 Ti (on one of the ports) so it seems like it’s down to signal strength at board (and even port) level to me.

Fingers crossed! 2m isn’t going to cut it and would mean I can’t use the 8KX for room-scale (seated is fine as it’s in the room to the left) without moving stuff around (already planned moving the PC 1-1,5m closer though it’s not an “ideal” placement to me)… :wink:

1 Like

I totally agree port signal strength is the limiting factor here, the 3m cable only displays at all from 1 of the 3 DP ports on my 1080.
At Least you have the option to move your PC, Mine is built into an entertainment center cabinet.
I still have hope that a new 30 series card may be my savior :pray: I’m eagerly awaiting reports of the 3m cable on 30 series cards. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Yeah, me too as I’m upgrading when all the unofficial beta testing is done (next wave)… :smiley:

Who knows, maybe it’ll work perfectly fine on my 2080 Ti but not at all on my upcoming 3090…

1 Like

Argh… The 3M Club3D 8K60Hz HBR3 extension cable doesn’t work for me either on my ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti OC. It seems to me it’s not supplying quite enough power (tried on both DP ports).

A bit (to say the least) bummed about it as that means I can’t play room-scale games as it is right now.

If I switch to a 2 m extension cable (I’m tempted to try that out), I’ll have to re-arrange my desk/office and I’m not too keen on that.

I’m looking into other solutions (like an active 8K60Hz HBR3) repeater and I’ll report back if I find something else that works.

EDIT: Ordered these:

6 Likes

Hey @SweViver, do you have an update on this?

Just received my 8KX, loving it but the 3m Club3D cable you recommended causes a snowy image.

I also tried optical cables with the correct spec, they don’t work at all, the HMD isn’t recognized in the first place.

Same here, it really sucks that it’s not working :pleading_face:

Let us know how you get on. In a similar boat.

1 Like

@DrWilken
I have the club3d 3m extension cable suggested, also getting snowy flickering display on the 8KX.

I also bought the same Cable Matters active booster and 3m extension cable in your post post, and had it express shipped from
Amazon. Arrived yesterday, and… nothing. No display connection registered at all in the headset or pitool status. Bummer. Just wanted to give you the heads up.

4 Likes

It comes down to the baseline signal strength produced by your video card. A decent cable can help with the SNR but the signal itself is going to vary between brands and even lot numbers produced of your video card.

In some of these cases our upcoming optical version of the cable will help but not all because in some cases the signal itself is just not strong enough to extend the distance very far.

PS: In some cases the cards have more than 1 DP 1.4 interface and you can increase your signal by trying different interfaces.

4 Likes

I had the suggested club3d 3m extension cable, and it produced mild snow with my 8KX. I decided to try the 2m version of the same club3d cable and it works perfectly. That extra meter was what was preventing this extension solution from working.

4 Likes

Thanks SSKPA. I suspected that might be the case. Thanks for confirming.

To PimaxUSA’s point on varying from card to card (and port to port) - I have experienced this too. I have found 1 port to clearly have the strongest signal, but still snowy (but not brutally so).

So the 2m may or may not work depending on the video card (I have a gigabyte gaming 1080ti, waiting on a backorder for the Asus tuf 3080), but nice to have one more path to explore!

I think I’ll wait a few more weeks, and see if I get lucky and the new Asus tuf 3080 has enough juice to the ports for the 3m club3d cable to work. If not, I’ll try the 2m. Too bad though, 2m will be awkward for my room layout. Really need that extra 1m.

@PimaxUSA: it sure would be great if there were any small improvements that could be made (to 8KX firmware possibly?) to get that little tiny bit of extra leeway needed to get over the hump and have the 3m work for lots of cards. Seems like it’s oooooh sooo close.

with my 1080ti only one port worked at all, the other 2 just a red light and connect dp error. 3090 fe had no issues with any port

1 Like

Do you mean only 1 port worked with 8KX directly connected, or only 1 worked with an extension?

Hi samyrden - we spent months on trying to optimize for cards that exhibit weaker signals. I think just about all that can be done was already done as far as minimizing the signal strength required.

FYI: We included signal strength measurements in Pitool so you can measure the signal from each port on your graphics adapter to find the best.

4 Likes