Yet another 8K vs 5K+ question

@Heliosurge Is Ethan Carter payable in small FOV?

1 Like

pff i made my choice for the 5kplus,but now i have the feeling that i need to contact support and switch back to the 8K…this is very confusing

Hi @Arno, honestly speaking I am not really active here on the forum anymore. Just follow the MANY hands-on accounts from people who have tried both devices at the meetups. The huge majority chooses the 5k Plus, and that’s for a reason. That reason being the 5k Plus simply being better. (yes, even though 8 is bigger then 5,it’s s tough thing to swallow, I get it :wink:

6 Likes

Honnestly, if headset are not correctly set up, those tests are pointless, Pitool, SteamSS and Games need to be adjusted.
Plus you did talk about the phenomenon “world moving with you” I absolutely dont have and nobody that tried it have seen this, so its not something I am not sensitive with, there is just NO “world moving with you” stuff.

I surely understand why and how 5k+ can be better for reading text and “clarity” (again, you can have a good clarity on a gameboy color since there are bigger pixels) but for the most important things that are immersion and pixel killing, 8K is better, there is just no way the 5k+ can display what the 8k give me in the headset.
Wanted to buy a 5k+ just for science actually but in the end, no point, 8k is better for gaming.
Desktop use is a pure joke.

8 Likes

Thanks, that’s so true.
Btw. Did people at the meetups REALLY prefer the 5K? My impression of the first Berlin meetup has been, that people loved both devices and had a hard time seeing the differences. Especially there was NO world moving business going on, except for mrtv??

2 Likes

I can answer this one, after succesfully getting a few games to look better on small FOV I gave it a try, and it looks absolutely awful even on small FOV, a total pixelated mess.

This thread got me thinking that maybe the surprisingly sharp image on the 8k on low FOV may not be a matter of Steam giving better performance and more SS, but rather that some form of reescaling is happening on bigger FOVs that introduces a less sharp image, and the 8k by using a reescaler suffers the most.

I was really surprised that Hellblade looks really sharp on the 8k, even far distance objects, where other games look way less sharp for some reason, so maybe there are engines that reescale better than others.

4 Likes

Very interesting observations, thank you! I’m sure there’s a lot of truth to it!

2 Likes

I guess I should give it a try but I dont like third person in VR ^^
If you like archery game, try (Its not the cheapest game, got mine during sales) In Death. Its the most beautiful and sharp game, couldnt believe it the first time, purely amazing to see what the 8k can display.

1 Like

I would give it a try but still don’t have it, I’ll wait for a sale since I have a pretty big backlog, and I stopped playing Vive altogether so now the amount of games waiting is pretty big, but it sure sounds good.

I have always considered 3rd person games in VR pointless, I’ve played Edge of Nowhere, Chronos and Lucky’s Tale and felt they were OK at best, they seemed like vr didn’t add much to the game, but Hellblade really surprised me how amazing the how game looks in VR and how good it is, finally a full AAA games with amazing story, production values, graphics etc, and since Senua is showing at human scale, it really feels like you’re there with her. If you have to play only a 3rd person game in VR, this is it.

I’m using small fov, PiTools 1.0, SteamVR SS 125%,ingame SS at 100% on a 1080ti, just for reference.

1 Like

Now that I’ve the Samsung OD+ I can tell you that sharpness and resolution is also killing immersion it not just one or the other but SDE is the first one. Now I want more sharpness and no SDE, so neither 5k+ or 8K seems to fit the bill now.

Part for amusement Desktop use is limited and maybe it’s not so healthy to add to VR hours.

1 Like

If you use normal FOV in Hellblade will it be as clear as low FOV ?

You have to increase the SuperSampling in SteamVR for Samsung Odyssey+.

In theory, 8K should like you.
8K, though not as clear as 5K +, but it should be clearer than the Odyssey, while having a minimum and close SDE to Odyssey +.

1 Like

i made the switch too the 5kplus,but i think i maybe most contact support and get the 8k…
or leave it this way??

Look through the lens on the 8K in this nice @Ludiks video.
Maybe this will help you decide.

1 Like

Lucky’s tale looks & plays well. Keep in mind Seb sees a wobble on the 8k that no one else seems to see.

2 Likes

Yes & no. Text in the tunnel & full screen letters & the reconstruction portal is not in convergence. You’d need to close one eye …

Parallel Projection needs to be on & doesn’t fix that. But otherwise looks ok. Need Astronaut to fix.

1 Like

Some programs the FoV is being forced. Ethan Carter demonstrates this on both. You can run it on the bigger FoV but the menu text bevomes wavy & the in gsme textures look terrible.

2 Likes

Not convinced by screen shots, I can see scan doubling artifact, only 80hz, 8K not fixable, 5k+ could maybe improved with DIY diffusion filter. With the large FOV real resolution 5K+/8K=2560/170=15 OD+=1600/100 = 16 will be about the same better for Pimax because we loose resolution because of the filter on the OD+

On OD+ the screens shot I saw are in direct relation with what I see in the headset and what I want, so yes screen shots are usefully but you must interpret them

1 Like

Diy filter will require a teardown not just popping the lense out & could be performed on both.

And you can’t fix the low vertical res on the 5k+

2 Likes