Yet another 8K vs 5K+ question

The 5k+ is too sharp. Plus going by my experience with the 4k. Thr 8k has better resolution as demonstrated with farther details vs the 5k+.

Plus the 8k is not the same panel using a dispersion filter.

2 Likes

So since you have both which would you prefer for casual gaming, like Skyrim or budget cuts

1 Like

So some programs are forced to support normal and large FOV even if they were not designed for it, and this makes them less sharp. Did I got it right ?

This leaves some other programs that are not forced, and those should look as sharp on normal FOV as on the small FOV ? Is this correct ? Can you give some examples of such programs ?

1 Like

I don’t doubt you prefer the 8K, but it simply not possible to have more real definition with the same input size or some stacking algorithm. It’s the same when you use driver yellow lens you see more of some details but resolution is the same. Not to confound pixel resolution with real resolution wich is the ability to resolved details or informations.

The point is the 8k while upscaled does have the physical benefit of more resolution. As some are seeing what I have said about the 5k+ lacking vertical resolution causing a stacked horizintal lines & noticeable pixels.

The 8k has even improved that Sweviver has said the gap between them is smaller now in terms of picture & perf. It can’t create definition but it can improve the quality & possibly match being over sharpened as the 5k+(better to not match & be balanced).

This has been proven by the fact that a 980ti can run the 8k now where before it completely tanked & that a 1060 6g can run on the 8k as well. Both with decent results.

4 Likes

For me, I try and relate the 8k Vs 5k+ to how I use my current headsets(rife/vive.)

An example would be - In Elite, I don’t use anti-aliasing, which I’m likening to the 5k+. I can use it, and have a profile that does, which I’m likening to the 8k, but overall I keep it turned off. I like the sharpness and put up with some aliasing, more than I like the softness that comes with turning anti-aliasing on to remove those things. Higher supersampling with no anti-aliasing is my preference, with current headsets, when deciding where to spend my GPU resources.

It almost seem like, to me, that in this sort of example the 8k is essentially hardware anti-aliasing, which given my example above may be a negative because I cannot turn it off, even if I wanted.

To people with both headsets/Used both… does this comparison correlate? This impression In my mind

1 Like

Like Voodoodx having acess to both. I generally stick to the 8k. The 5k+ is just too sharp like a tv with the Sharpness cranked.

Both headsets could use a sharpness slider so you can soften the 5k+ & sharpen the 8k.

5k+ too sharp
8k slightly too soft.

7 Likes

Bigscreen Beta is a good example. @Skyrimer stated text looks really good in small FoV.

EthanCarter menu text is wavy on anything but small FoV.

BalisticNG not overly fussy on it even in small it curves things.

Plus in Small FoV you are using less Resolution.

Pimax said they would make the FoV work and it appears this is the cass.

2 Likes

Yeah it is likely going to vary from one title to the next.

I just told them I wanted to keep the 8K. The 5K+ is tempting but those colors really kill me and I am not sure that can be fixed and they told me they couldn’t give me confirmation if the hand motion module would be just a trade for the $100 coupon at KS price or not. I know I will still like it as it is still better than what I currently have

1 Like

Bloody hell , this 5k 8k choice is harder than ever :face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

I think I will go for the 8k but will wait just a bit longer to read some more impressions from the batch 2 deliveries.

4 Likes

One of the reasons while was very nice of them to do. Giving the choice hss complicated things.

Most will be happy with either of the 2 headsets. If I had only received 1 headset i would generally be happy with Either. Though my initial pledge was just for the 8k full; after consideration decided I wanted a full set of both. Why full sets? 4 LH & having both controller sets.

But like others if I only had one coming it would be difficult & TBH i would have simply stuck with my first pledged headset being the 8k. Of Which is the only headset prior to receiving was tgr only one I had hands on at Immersed 2017.

3 Likes

I see a lot more detail in the 8K shot. I wouldn’t bother about the jaggies too much because it would be the other way round if the lines are at a different angle - this is due to the pix layout.

If you have a look at the surface of that table though: I see a detailed surface on the 8K and a blur on the 5k+.
This is a bit strange considering the clarity discussion. We loose clarity on fonts and straight lines with the 8K because of the pixel layout. It looks like you are loosing detail in general on textures with the 5k+ though - at least according to this shots.

I do believe that these shots aren’T really great to judge them. The 5K+ looks pretty blurry on these wich is contradictory to everything we heard from everyone.

1 Like

Thanks for taking those images but tbh i think its a little unfair comparison because the 5k shot isn’t in focus as well as the 8k one.

1 Like

How long can we wait with sending the survey? I would like to wait as long as possible to hear more impressions too.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. I think i take the 8K!

1 Like

I guess it depends on what backer no you are. I am in the 5000s so I don’t think another week will matter.

Not only perspective but the shoot is much closer for the 8K so it’s normal to see more details but in fact the 5K+ has more detail even if father away the pillar shadow is more a black blob on the 8K brightness is to low.

The shot is also out of focus for the 5K

1 Like

Most people talk about the “big” games like Skyrimm, I am more interested in playing simple games like Lucky’s tale. @Heliosurge do you also prefer the 8K for those games?
It almost feels like a rope playing game @mixedrealityTV pulls us to the 5K+ and you pull us towards the 8K :slight_smile:

1 Like