Yet another 8K vs 5K+ question

Haha, we are on the same boat…

At the end I think i will trust my guts on this one and go with the 5K+. Based on the reviews of @mixedrealityTV and @SweViver (thanks for those guys), the 5K+ seems more appealing to me.

For example on this video from seb (Pimax 8K vs Pimax 5k Plus: SDE & Quality Comparison At Maximum Quality Settings & Supersampling On - YouTube) I keep on preferring the image from the 5K+ (by a lot).

It will be impossible for me to be 100% sure of my decision and will continue on doubting it. To make a clear decision, i would need to test both… But i can’t.

I do am annoyed sometimes by the SDE but it will be better than what we are used to with the Vive or even (maybe) the vive pro.

I feel like the 8K may have some potential to distance itself from the 5K+ due to the lens resolution, but is limited by its input signal. So all can be done is to improve the upscaler and this comes at a cost in my opinion (GPU Consumption). (and i dont plan on upgrading my 1080TI anytime soon)

Stay tune for my next change of opinion :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yes but you can’t unblurr the 8K, but for must people if SDE is your main concern take the 8K, if it’s sharpness take the 5K+

If it’s both and you can’t try it, roll a dice :wink:

1 Like

Depends on Rendering. The 4k is not bad in sharpness. & the 8k is not as blurred as ppl seem to think.

Crank the Sharpness on your TV & you get 5k.

Too sharp unreal too soft unreal. Needs to be balanced & atm neither are. But the 8k can be sharpened & the 5k can be softened.

3 Likes

Yes and the 8K used this same input low vertical resolution so only benefit would be less SDE which is achievable with a diffusion filter.

Like I said you’d need to see it. 5k+ Stacked Vertical lines. The filter won’t fix that. Upscaling works quite well on rgst detail.

I found Pimax Dev realy quiet, any news of a new Pitool with brightness and color adjustment?

1 Like

Nothing I have heard. & if tge firmware poke is true the 5k+ color cannot be fixed up to the 8k level.

There are a few options that eould improve both if can be implemented. Like brightness & Sharp slider.

Yes, it will be more challenging the diagonal pattern of OLED pentil display is more adapted. But you can still see SDE on the 8K… so their a room in between

Meant horizontal lines.

But the point is you can see SDE on the pimax 4k as well & it uses a different panel rainbow RGB. The 8k is considerably less than the 5k+. If your vision is good enough to see.

Now if you want something neat for sde checkout Allegiant(sp?) Media headset with limited FoV using Dlp with no SDE reports say. But not made for vr.

2 Likes

1 month now with my Pimax 8k and have never noticed this so called wobble effect. I’m guessing it is hardware problem with particular hmd.

6 Likes

Never been a fan of cervical implants for VR nor lasers in my eyes :wink:

1 Like

I hear you the idea seems wonky like usung lasers to fix one’s sight.

I just gave it a try and normal FOV looks as good as small FOV, it performs a bit worse but i find it playable, just for the brief moment I tried it.

I have currently beaten the first two gods so about half way into the game afaik, no issues whatsoever and having a blast.

Also took a pic with my Galaxy S7, have in mind that it’s terrible quality compared to real ingame image quality:

8 Likes

Thanks for the picture. I think you gave me the motivation to try and capture a through the lens picure of SkyrimVR in my 8k with HD texture mods. If I succeed I’ll post here or somewhere as well.

3 Likes

Hi! I took that big screen picture.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment.

1 Like

Really interested on those and any comments on how well Skyrim performs with mods on the 8K, how far have you pushed modding the game with the 8K?

@anon74848233 Hi Dallas. Is there any news on brightness control for the 5k+? Is it possible?
Thanks

1 Like

though thing to swallow? we couldn;t care less wat is the number is on the headset. I liked the 8k much more! and so do many others. The latest Seoul meetup 45 % chooses 8k vs 35% 5k+ That’s because they have an onbiased opinion they are not talked into something
Not everybody has the same perception and preference as you, just respect that. You are loosing credibility this way

1 Like

At my backer meetup, I can tell you that when different scenes were viewed on each headset with a lot of down time between, people waffled and had a hard time choosing or even chose the 8K until the same scenes were viewed on each with minimal downtime between, then everyone chose the 5k+, now if they just fixed the colors on the 5k+ to make them warmer! All this ‘some prefer the 8K’ ‘some prefer the 5K+’ at the meetups, I can tell you what happens, there are certain members who show up and know the 8K is more expensive and has more res, so they go into it trying to like the 8K and discredit the 5k+, we had people openly giving the 8K multiple chances and saying explicitly they WANTED to like it more but when the same scene was put on and minimized the time between putting each headset on, they all preferred the 5K. Oftentimes guys would walk away liking the 8K more because they played elite on it last for twenty minutes and never tried the same on the 5K. All this confusion on the forums is funny to read because most of the time it’s people who stick to the 8K that have only seen videos and photos but have never actually looked through the headsets. You have to trust sweviver and mrtv, as a backer that has looked through both back to back on the same scene, they were correct in choosing the 5k+ and have spent many hours in both. The 8K is just not as good, especially considering it is more $. We really need either a upscaled 8K with RGB stripe oled or even a native 8K with RGB stripe oled to be a step above the 5k+ or just a 5k+ with odyssey+ like anti-sde filter! There is a big reason the Playstation VR headset uses RGB stripe and gets away or competes with other headsets at such a low resolution, the pixel layout is no laughing matter! Even the starvr uses RGB stripe oled with less resolution than you would expect and everyone says it looks great! All future headsets with pentile panels should be trashed in my opinion in favor of RGB stripe patterns unless they all make use of the anti-sde filter that Samsung has employed than they can get away with it but even so, increasing the res on a pentile panel will still pale to a RGB stripe panel at a lower res with lower hardware requirements.

2 Likes

I feel people are putting too much hope on SDE filters for 5k+, they never happened for Oculus, Vive, WMR, since usually results were no good, and people dismantled Vive just for the Gear VR mod for example sor it’s not for a lack of technical knowledge, maybe it can be done but I wonder if no one ever found working filters for those HMDs, why would it be any different with 5k, and the SDE filter thing has been around since DK2 with very poor results.

Also your reasoning is solid, but there’re also people in the forum that have both HMDs for quite a few weeks already and prefer the 8k, at least they think it’s better in some ways, so it’s not so clear cut and may be a matter of personal preference, and most people I know say PSVR sucks compared to Vive or Oculus.