Wow! Pimax 5K Super, new model with 180hz

How is it disingenuous? Oculus released two entirely different VR headsets in 2019, HTC released three entirely different VR headsets in 2019, doesn’t matter how they were “received” or are how different they are from each other. And where are you getting that about Rift S and the Go? It’s actually kinda backward, Oculus specifically said that the Quest is based on older hardware and designs, the Rift S changes are what they are going forward with, especially for their dedicated PC-based VR. For example, the Quest has a pentile OLED screen, Oculus wants to use RGB-Stripe LCD from now on, but the Quest was too far along in development to make the change. And Oculus has also made it clear that they are working on both a next-generation PC VR headset, and will eventually release a Quest 2, and a Go 2 as well, because they want to cover the primarily media-only low-end, the standalone midrange, and high end PCVR. They don’t want to force PCVR users to have the quality drop of streaming VR at low refresh rates like they do with the Quest.

It’s true the Vive Pro Eye and the Vive Focus Plus are primarily intended for businesses, but you are including Pimax’s business-based variants too.

3 Likes

Hello Ludx,

You should drop us a PM/ quorra@pimax.com.
We are here to schedule the ticket support problem.

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

3 Likes

For me they do not have 5 headsets in 2020

but 4 musketeers you see in the homepage

@mixedrealityTV will be glad

3 Likes

The 5k+ and the 8k both came out in 2019 as well.

1 Like

No, they are 2018 headsets

2 Likes

I don’t understand the problem with the number of HMDs that Pimax release.

I think that the more the better. Because you can select the perfect that suit you.

I know that somebody will think… ow! I bought my new hmd and in one month it’s not the best! Yeah… Do you know Nvidia? The same.

I hope Pimax can bring us 4 HMDs at least every year hahah

PD: If somebody want to think that if they release a lot of HMDs then they have less time for support… well I don’t think they have theirs engineers replying customers emails. It has no sense. Then I prefer the engineers works a lot and focus in theirs real jobs.

6 Likes

And variations will let more people buy a PiMax, reduce price and allow larger quantities of shared parts ( as Kevin stated in the video)

It’s better to focus on 1 product without defects than on 4 products that you’ll need to have replaced every 3 months

2 Likes

The question is who’s focus you are talking about?

Sure support will need to get the quirks of 4 or 5 HMDs but that’s it - don’t see a big issue there.

And It’s not like the only 12 Engineers each sit there soldering on a single device and now need to make 4 different ones in the same time which are thrown to them at random. The basic tech stays the same and gets better utilization

5 Likes

Given how often we are seeing new models, it appears to be a fairly simple process to develop a new unit, with the exception of the 8KX which needs special electronics.

2 Likes

Agree with most part you wrote but also belive that Pimax in 2020 need to prepare 5 different firmwares. When they had only 2 models at beginig 2019 we have received more frequent PT updates like every 2~3 weeks. Now periods between updates is 2 x longer.

4 Likes

Or in one product with defects that you have to sell for years, like Vive Cosmos

2 Likes

Yep but it takes ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ months for Pimax to correct defects, Htc fixed most of problems after few weeks.

@MReis I know that’s the same base for every headset. But let’s pick some examples. Black dots depends on screens (supposed to be different depending on models). And what can we say about cracking that mainly appear on 5k+, 8k were less affected by this despite housing was supposed to be the same.
Let’s talk about firmware and Pitool, will Pimax be able to unify (with 5 headsets to deal with) when they failed to bring 120Hz to some 5k+ versions?

1 Like

Not quite what I would consider comparable- it’s just that the first batch 5k screens don’t do much more then promised - there is info that they might reach 110hz posted that was a on top thing - the black dots where sh1ty …

Parts of hardware always change - even if it is just that the process somewhere is adjusted or updated.
You are right that it will be an extra to adjust 5 HMDs but I guess they do have a few things in common they got figured out now, like distortion Profil for the lenses and stuff like that.

But in the modern economy you are dead if you don’t have a special niche then you have to grow at least to a certain size and market share.

1 Like

I just started to think that true 180hz for 5K Super could be possible :thinking:

2 Likes

360hz panels would be impossible to run in VR (stereo 3D) IE 720hz 2D equivalent. $1200 GPUs can hit 360hz in titles like CSGO, but that’s a very expensive GPU, and I think this monitor is probably going to be very pricey.

1 Like

A higher refresh rate also inherently means that when a frame render overshoots its deadline, it’s less time until the next V-blank to slot it into, and less time since the previous frame, from which you might synthesize a fake one.

I am seriously wondering whether with 180Hz, it might be viable to do a pseudo-GSync/Freesync thing, as an alternative to motion smoothing; Leave missed refresh cycles black, and scale the backlight duty cycle per-frame, for frames that do display, to maintain consistent light output over time…

4 Likes

Also what I have noticed at least with my older 100Hz Asus ROG is that they are pushing Hz but imho the Picture Quality is not very improved (Color, backlight bleed, etc.).

1 Like

Aaah a panel discussion, I can be a part of that but have held back as panel tech has not been discussed.
like PLS, M-PLS, IPS, TN and so on. people only seem to care if it’s RGB Stripe matrix and I can fully understand that, as each subpixel is within the same “pixel”
But there is a lot of difference in panel technology and what would be most interesting to use in a HMD.

I have an Asus ROG 34" ultrawide with IPS panel and g-sync @100hz and it’s gorgeous color reproduction.

3 Likes

Same Monitor! I like it, but…

I dislike the backlight bleed and also it has ghosting or maybe gray 2 gray latency’s - easily seen if you pull a window with some Speed over a light Surface - the edges become thicker - very interesting is also if you look at the Icons in the top left (i have dark mode activated). The white squares shown in the window of edge as an example will get “black” ghosting lines.

It is of course not noticeable in the Picture but if you take that and move it left to Right, you can see what I mean. (or one of those typical sides that bring it out even more).

Just took a shot with my Phone, it Shows it quite nice as soon as you have a certain Speed you can see at on the monitor and on the Picture the phone made

1 Like