Wow! Pimax 5K Super, new model with 180hz

I guess 8KX will have 110Hz with the upscaler

2 Likes

A 2080ti wouldn’t likely be able to push actual 180hz as it is having trouble with Index’s 144hz.

And really shouldn’t need application direct support for BW as the delay is more more likely in the headset running the screens slightly out of sync.

4 Likes

I hope. It would be perfect…

2 Likes

I really hope so! Otherwise I’d probably be better switching from the 8KX to the 8K+. Hz matter to me a lot.

1 Like

This is all really interesting news anyway.

I find it good, nice to have variety, as long as they don’t push that more than that now.

Support is ramping up - I got my tickets solved… the last 2 weeks there was a great improvement…
but well, I guess it might not have reached every single one as of now … and they are communicating a lot more even though the swap of forum and maintenance could have been introduced a bit more before it happens.

5 Likes

Hello Hoshi,

We understand your anger for the mean time, about the ticket support issues, our team is forming a group of support team specially deal with these. If your ticket still remain unsolved, please kindly slide a DM/ mail us at quorra@pimax.com
We will assign our team to solve your issue.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
Quorra.Pimax

3 Likes

oh there is a genius there alright, a genius at deceptive marketing. And we all bought it.

dont forget the 8kx can work as a 8k+ at 90hz upscale mode.

@mixedrealityTV asked why not just have the 8kx instead of both 8kx and 8k+ to @PimaxUSA and my interpretation of the answer was, the 8kx has more expensive electronics to make the native-ness happen and cannot work with a longer cable.

But then MRTV said “who cares just get rid of the 8k because its $300 difference and 1 less SKU to confuse people,” and Kevin wouldn’t budge.

I agree that it looks bad that Pimax has so many skus, but from what I understand the Chinese government is heavily supporting the VR industry(based on Nathies visit to Pimax and the FReality podcast discussion about it …look it up)
So I think Pimax feels like they just think of something new and constantly want to make it available. They are like a giant R&D company.

Every year they release HMDs like Nvidia releases video cards.

Or like samsung releases Phones.

I mean looking how fast phone tech has developed over a very short time, I can see the advantage. In the 13 years since the iphone 1 was released mobile tech has managed to squeeze ps4-like power into your pocket and still maintain the same battery life , pretty cool.

When Microsoft first announced Mixed Reality I though this was the approach that they were pushing for actually. But all of the manufacturers release at most 1 headset every 1-1.5 years.

Maybe pimax should change to a lincencing model and sell reference designs to other companies or create different brands to split the headsets up based on target. I mean part of the confusion is that they all look the same.

Imagine the artisan had a different look. Like white and was less wide and looked like a storm trooper. Nobody would confuse that as the same product.

Thinking about it more, I think what Pimax Needs is less of a chinese Carmack and more of a Tom Kalinske.

If is still possible for Pimax to gain respect if they can just push out quality products and software.

Winning mike over from VR Oasis is possible but his main issue with the Pimax he backed was that apparently it doesn’t work at all for his tiny IPD. If the artisan works at a lower IPD and was pure quality and they send him one to review with a MAS he might very well start to realize its better than his precious index.

If you look at the P1:Series they had many models as well.
P1:4k
P1:B1 (Qhd oled)
P1:Pimax Pro (Vive res with baton psmove like controllers looks like Burbur s1 controllers)

There was even a phoneVR using the P1: Shell.

P2 until the Atrisan really only 4 models base.
5k+
5kXR
8k(+)
8kX

And now Artisan.

I wouldn’t count the business editions.

2 Likes

Well, I guess these new (hopefully succeeding older models, rather than selling alongside), supposedly high refresh rate (…and not just left-right interleaved) headsets will be using the newer, higher grade cable commissioned for the the 8kX, then, to survive the traffic - especially if superfluous data is still transferred (the borders outside the FOV – and still no foveated transport either, presumably)…

(EDIT: …and hello again, forum. When the browser suddenly began to throw me security warnings at the old address, and refused passage, I thought Pimax had forgotten to renew their certificates again. :P)

1 Like

If the headset does the job the signal is still remain the same, so it could works. Just wondering how the panels can handle this.

Well, I can believe it, I was a solid supporter for long also, since the 4k so even before getting my 8k, and been severly flammed for this as you probably did also, but believing and knowing are not the same. And same to me, nobody reply to any messages. 2020 and even postal mail is faster.

Did you contact asales and quora? I had tickets and after some PM after Matthew left they got handled very fast.
I urge you to drop them a PM, it’s worked for a whole bunch of us …
I know it’s frustrating that all of this is not happening on it’s own, but at least they are at it if you give them a pm…

1 Like

I have a opened ticket which I get reply every month or so.
And I Pm’ed several people here who actually did read my messages but not replying.
Yeah I am not turning bad just like that, there is a difference between not getting reply and being ignored.

2 Likes

Oculus released two headsets in 2019 (Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift S), HTC released three headsets in 2019 (Vive Pro Eye, Vive Focus Plus, Vive Cosmos). Pimax announced what, three? 8k+, Artisan, and now 5k Super. And they are all very much evolutions of what Pimax was already doing, so not devices that would take a lot of engineering or design.

5 Likes

@PimaxUSA if you guys have brainwarp 2.0 alternate eye rendering working, I’m wondering if this would allow you to try something like alternate frame rendering SLI passively without per app support?

5 Likes

Check out our press release on Tuesday. I can answer more questions after some reveals.

12 Likes

This is a bit disingenuous. Oculus also received flak for releasing two headsets where one more-thoughtfully considered headset would have sufficed. Less than a year later it seems the Rift S and the older Go are about to be put out to pasture - reps said Quest would be the platform they evolve from going forward and that one headset can now serve both standalone and tethered use cases.

HTC released Pro Eye strictly for developers - a minor feature addon to the already-existing developer-targeted Pro. Vive Focus was a completely different product for a very different market. Finally, Cosmos, the first consumer VR headset to be released by HTC in years. Each headset uses different core technologies and targets a different market. Despite all this differentation, HTC still received criticism for having too many products in their wheelhouse.

Cut to Pimax - we have something like 10 headsets announced in 3 years - all targeting the consumer market, all using the same form factors, same software ecosystem, and save for one, similar displays, lenses, controllers, et al. For a market this small, from a company this small, this is just pure madness. I’m a pretty hardcore enthusiast and I struggle to differentiate which Pimax headset offers which value proposition. Pimax needs to do one, maybe two, HMDs, but do them well.

Current Consumer VR HMDs
(excluding old stock some retailers may still be offering)
HTC: 2
Valve: 1
Sony: 1
Oculus: 3 (likely to be 1 in a year’s time)
HP: 1
Samsung: 1
Pimax: 4 plus Deluxe variants for two of them plus the just-announced $449 Artisan and three “SUPER” headsets being revealed at CES and the two different audio strap options

…this is a crap ton to keep track of as a consumer! So we can probably expect 5 HMD skus concurrently offered by Pimax and possibly more than that. Pimax truly is unique in this regard. They’re the smallest of the aforementioned companies (like, a tiny drop in the bucket compared to the other players) yet they’re offering the widest product range. SMDH

2 Likes

As a consumer you only need to keep track of 4 + now 1 headset of pimax. The Business variants need not really be considered.

8kX
8k(+)
5k+
5kXR
Artisan

And I guess possibly this 5k Super if is a different model.

Now what do you have? Low Med High & Ultra offerings

Which can align with Cpu & Gpu ranges.

The problem is unlike other Hardware folks are not used to having variety of choices.

Besides it’s not as bad as when Intel had cpu model hell with 3 different Sockets plus mobile cpu.

4 Likes