Wow! Pimax 5K Super, new model with 180hz

Now I want to know moreee!!

Update: Finally the name of the 180hz version is “5K Super”. A new HMD different to 5K+. Isn’t a new firmware, is a new HMD.

4 Likes

I guess that’s one of the headset(s) Kevin Henderson was teasing in the mrtv interview. Very interesting stuff pimax is teasing there. I hope the “Dual 4K 110Hz” is a firmware update for the 8k+ and 8kx as well in up scaled mode, that would be a nice bonus.

4 Likes

I will laugh my arse off if they havent even shipped 8k+/X to people and they are already announcing they are obsolete.

4 Likes

Sorry @geoffvader - first off I guess not that they are obsolete, Kevin stated they have some firm aware specials up there sleeve.
On the other hand it would be very bad for an IT Company to not have the next step in Planning and upgrading actually a good thing.
I mean I got the 8K X and hope it will last long - but not because nothing new is to come. I surly hope they keep making progress.
No company is n this business does not do that - Intels tic toc as just one example…

1 Like

It sounds like 110hz for large FOV full 8K upscaled mode for 8K+ and 8Kx, and 180hz for small FOV.

3 Likes

Maybe. I doubt there’s any new models coming up. Though you never know…

5 Likes

The 180Hz might also “just” be the BrainWarp (2.0) feature originally announced for 90Hz headsets:

9 Likes

I think it’s more like @DrWilken is saying - guess firm and software are now Brainwarp 2.0 ready :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Realistically (haven’t been updated) but more than likely something to do with the BW 2.0 alternate eye rendering.

5 Likes

Atleast with the 180hz part.

3 Likes

wait just a damned minute. This alternate eye rendering? I hope they contact this guy soon.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/gta5-real-mod-dev-calling-for-pimax-support/24850

2 Likes

For real? How many hmds did Pimax announce thits year? Oculus, HTC, ect. take a year or more before considering a new hmd. Sorry but I can’t take Pimax serious anymore. The throwing hmds left and right like shovelware instead of F**** answering the god damn support tickets! The should get the stretchgoals ready for bakers and answer support tikets. And its not just a little technical issue it’s a about a good amount of money! Got I hate this company more and more with every announcement they make. Can’t believe I defended them back when I first got the hmd…

1 Like

I might be calling it wrong. But BW was described as Rendering with a delay between screens to simulate more frames.

2 Likes

Yes, I thought it is the method… but I think that there might be some secret or something to surpass… because it sounds too easy to do, and why oculus don’t replicate that or valve investigate it?

I suppose there is something difficult in this method.

1 Like

I imagine why it’s been delayed. Might be similar to early issues with smart smoothing. Potential artifacts & such.

Nvidia on some level explored something similar in Cascaded displays to double refresh rate & increase pixel density. But of course doubles the costs as you need 2 panels vs 1 layered on top of each other & likely stronger back lighting. Read up was quite good though.

3 Likes

Pimax has support problems, and a weird marketing… but I want to know the person who has this “vision” to create new methods and technologies in advance of other big companies.

I don’t know why, but I have the sensation that there is a “Carmack” from China around all this magic technological tricks, and the rest of the company sometimes doesn’t know how to work with it :rofl: like the first Problems with distortion in FOV.

2 Likes

It is more likely that there is no Chinese “Carmack” behind anything and no one in Pimax has a clue how things work, yet they eventually make them work.

Brain warp is an example of such a thing (some idea not thought through). If they did think it through they would realize that (at least the way it is presented on the KS page):

1. either It would not bring any advantage (i.e. is useless).
  2. or it would need a support in an application and tax the GPU more, by basically prohibiting any stereo rendering optimization

The diagram looks cool though.

2 Likes

Well finally Pimax said that it’s a new HMD called 5K Super, with 180hz. I suppose that are 144hz displays forced to 180hz.

As I can see in the information Pimax gives, they found the way to force Hz in the displays, and it isn’t brainwarp.

They will have 4 new HMDs.
-8Kx with native dual 4K resolution (75hz)
-8K+ with upscale and forced 110hz
-5K Super, with forced 180hz
-Artisan with Nolo controllers and 449$

What do you prefer guys?

I will love if they can force 8Kx to 90hz, but as I know… they have this panels, but the problem is the cable.

1 Like

I would wait for Pimax 8k X with Display Port 2.0

3 Likes

If it’s not brainwarp then we will need 2080ti to get the the potato resolution at 180Hz with any supersampling , , my 1080ti struggles enough with small at 120hz if i want to supersample for a crisp image

2 Likes