Wow! Pimax 5K Super, new model with 180hz

IPS panels are prone to backlight bleed if not carefully handled by the assembly at manufacturing. Yes G2G times are not perfect on the panel, but it sounds like you have set OD to Extreme setting ?

I’ve only ever owned 1 IPS screen with allmot no backlight bleed, and this one is Not it :smile: don’t really care, it’s a trade-off I’m willing to make, but not in a VR HMD

2 Likes

Yes I have the OC on and 100Hz in Desktop mode - but it is the same (at least to my naked eye) if i turn OC off and use the max 60hz then.

1 Like

I think you misunderstood me, you can set the Panel Overdrive manually :slightly_smiling_face: in the screen settings on the monitor

Selecting Normal makes minimal ghosting, Extreme setting gives bad ghosting. But you cannot make it perfect

thread highjack sorry :smile:

2 Likes

Totally forgot about that setting point! Damn I am getting old - or to little sleep- or both - thanks!

2 Likes

Your screenshot is interesting looking at the res as I recall one of the monitor manufacturers calling that a 4k monitor. :wink:

2 Likes

Lol not 4K
ASUS calls it Ultra WQHD

2 Likes

its not the fact that they have many hmds that is bothering people. its the fact that the backers are still waiting for MAS and conteollers.

I guarantee if the backers got all of their stuff already you would hear 0 complaints.

Not only that but why have 10 headsets but not 1 complete offering?

5 Likes

This is exactly my consternation. If I could just use my headset I wouldn’t care what Pimax were up to.

2 Likes

Man HTC is prime for overtaking right now. To put it in racing terms.

HTC used to be the chisen one, and they fell worse than the Star Wars movies.

Pimax beats htc in terms of product offering, specs, even customer support. (I know some people think Pimax support is bad, but it really isn’t when you compare it to HTC actively screwing over their customers)

I dont know how HTC is still in business after the failure of the Cosmos.

3 Likes

Well… I think the problem is that they have very good professionals in the technical part, but doesn’t have people with an expertise in things like materials/comfort/etc… that’s the reason why first models have problems. Because it’s not only the cracks, it’s because if they had a good expert in design, that created a good comfort kit long time ago (it takes a little of effort is you have knowledge, because I created mine) then they didn’t have problems like distortion, etc…

1 Like

Yen as I recall you had a 3dprintable? If so can you point me to it?

Last from CES 2020

Pimax Headsets for 2020 are 6

3 Likes

Upload Vr already has a HIT piece on it.

man i don’t know what @SweViver did to piss these guys off [David Heaney] (https://uploadvr.com/author/dheaney/)) but he seems to take every chance they get to say bad things. (Not that it’s untrue)

5K SUPER adds to a long list of headsets available from Pimax. We should note though that Pimax has a long history of shipping delays with its new products and repeatedly failing to hit its own self-imposed deadlines. As such, we recommend caution when ordering. To avoid disappointment, we recommend treating it more like backing a Kickstarter than ordering a product.

3 Likes

well i know what sweviver did. He basically calls them out publicly and calls them vive and oculus fan boys every time Pimax is criticised fairly.

5 Likes

Yes!! I will post it tomorrow hehe I made the final version finally and it works for all faces haha

3 Likes

Heaney is an Oculus shill that has been trash talking everything not Oculus since the beginning. His word should not even be considered when discussing the tech. His hiring at uploadvr has cemented them as bottom of the barrel trash as far as I’m concerned and I wont award them with a click to any of their articles and neither should any of you.

6 Likes

It appears from reading biased reports of Pimax, that this seems to come from some of the biggest North American based VR websites. Sometimes, the reviewers lie outright or just conceal information. E.g. they say the headstrap is terrible and painful (true), but ‘accidentally’ forget to mention the new headstrap is superb (not fair to conceal this information). Or they say the FOV is nothing special, and ‘forget’ to put it in 170 FOV wide mode (again, concealing).

I honestly don’t know? It’s so odd, they won’t let Pimax make mistakes and grow better, as they finally are. Finally, Pimax have better quality now- real competition (forcing HTC/Oculus/HP/Valve to produce better headsets in the future), but still the negative reviews remain, which is so weird, as if you watch the CES 2020 streams, people clearly love the new Pimax Vision headsets.

One explanation might be the doomsayers maybe have financial shares in American tech VR companies and are thus desperate for Pimax to fail. Maybe to help this, they produce negative press reports? You’ll see this even in published medical research, where researchers with vested interests produce a ‘fail’ for a new finding in medicine and dismiss a new treatment option for patients, but then you find out they’re on the board of a vaccine company, or are linked to psychiatry. E.g. the researchers would lose financially, to find a better medical solution from what they offer for a chronic illness.

I don’t see the same prejudice online from European reviews of Pimax though, and of note, Europeans don’t make VR headsets like the big boys in the US, so there must be some fear coming due to real competition in the VR industry? I have no idea obviously, just guess work.

At the end of the day, as long as there are some intelligent, non biased and honest reviewers like Sebastian from MRTV, then eventually the truth will get out.

6 Likes

Yes DAVID HEANEY is a 100% oculus fanboy and is very bias. At the same time, the quote you posted is 100% true, and until pimax proves this wrong potential buyers need to know this.

5 Likes

Vive released: preordered and started roomscale gaming
Heaney: who’s gonna game in roomscale? No one turns 360degrees anyway?! And who game standing up? Only safe way is seated gaming. Oculus got all things right. Who uses wands? All should game with a xbox controller.

Kickstarter pimax: reduced SDE
Heaney: I dont see SDE in rift.

Oculus: bans revive and reversed
Heaney: They didnt pay for development so they shouldn’t enter our walled garden. But we can rightfully use steamvr.

Pimax: wide fov
Heaney: 90degrees all you need, sides are blurry anyway no human has clear peripheral vison.

Conclusion: heaney is insufferable oculus shill.
Since 2016

To this day I still remember the bull he talks, the worst was when vive beat rift to the roomscale game.
He was such a bitter boy.

11 Likes

I’m starting to see that. Harry Baker is on the list as well.

in this article covering the headsets Tested tried with HL:Alyx the Pimax was curiously omitted from the summary.

But im sure this is not the place for this discussion. So I’ll end it here

As regardless most of the VR news today , (and i’m sure they hate it) was from Pimax and no matter how hard they try as long as Pimax releases quality products they have to cover it. Pimax doesn’t need to stoop to their level, just release quality product’s and let them speak for themselves.

Most of the upload VR page is plastered with Pimax articles it’s probably the most screen space Pimax has ever gotten on that site.

4 Likes