Woohoo! Pimax 8KX is happening!

If the base station approach of Pimax is considered, the total number of daily successful output and the number of deliveries to backers are unrelated; only that the former forms the theoretical maximum of the latter, but it will never be even faintly reached. So if they produce 100 units per day, you might see between 2-20 being allocated to backers & backer pre-orders, while the rest goes to fresh money customers who only pay after receipt of the goods. With the base stations the ratio is even much much worse.

Not so sure yet; clarity should be a win for the G2, but package-wise I would prefer the lighthouse tracking, Index controllers & not having to bother about WMR environments. And I have to say that when I tried the Index vs. the Reverb (Mk I) and 8K+ I was impressed how well it was able to keep up with the two other headsets which should have blown it out of the water resolution-wise. The details may not be there at very close scrutiny but the race was much tighter than I would have thought looking at the bare numbers.

3 Likes

I don’t think the reverb 2 has index support. Wish it did

1 Like

Hi. I hope Pimax supply at least the backers before anyone else. I completely get where your coming from but I hope your wrong. We will find out very soon. :0)

1 Like

Previously, iirc they can produce ~200 headsets per day, but I’m sure that fewer will be produced at first, to allow for additional QA.

2 Likes

The 8k+ and 8kX use the same panels, the same lenses and should therefore be using the same distortion correction. Thus what you are saying makes no sense.

I think what he is trying to say is that 1440v rendered pixels will look better in native mode on an 8KX. If not, then you’re right, it doesn’t seem to make any sense.

1 Like

You’re both right. It was an error on my part, I habitually think of the 8k+ as a 5k+ even though the 8k+ does not have 1440v native pixels or an even multiple thereof. Edited!

Though, if you think about it, the 8k+ really should not work as much better than the 5k+ as it does if there was any possibility of aligning pixels as I was describing.

2 Likes

If any consumer gets their hands on the final X release before backers I can assure you I’ll never buy another Pimax product again. 3 YEARS.

3 Likes

Hehe keep your eyes on AliExpress :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

5 Likes

I can assure You that some consumers will get their hands on an 8KX before all backers receive theirs.

Is Pimax supposed to wait until all backers have confirmed that they have received their units before shipping to consumers? :face_with_monocle::flushed:

Delivery times are all over the place currently.

I buy lots of stuff from China and some of it follows the “normal” delivery schedules and other stuff takes two or three times as long.

I understand You’ve waited a long time, but why should I (as a pre-order customer) wait an extra long time?

Can’t we just agree that they should ship in the correct order (backers first)?

9 Likes

Let‘s wait & see.

The question of ever buying another Pimax product will likely be a matter of value proposition first: let‘s see if this headset really is so much better than an Index, Reverb G2 etc. to justify costing approx. 250% of their respective prices. Perfomance-wise it will have to be really spectacular for that price-tag, and flawless in terms of build quality.

Only if they justify their extraordinary pricing with the same value proposition would we arrive at that second layer of „do I want to buy from Pimax again“…

5 Likes

There’s 400 headsets. If they are any competent it should take them maximum 1 month to fulfil those orders. Once they shipped the 400 they can do whatever they want and no one will care.

@Axacuatl I’m actually not even going to be hyperbolic by saying that the 8KX is what will determine the future of Pimax. If it’s as good as Pimax seems to think it is, it’ll be able to shift some public perception to being positive.

Pimax’s greatest weakness is it’s terrible brand image. Not that they do much to help it.

The ‘midrange’ market is already dominated by the Index. The low end by the Quest. If Pimax can’t secure the spot as being the go to headset for enthuasiast they’ll just putter out dying trying to compete with Valve.

8 Likes

Not so sure about that. Last time people (backers) got angry because pre-order customers received their headsets before they did.

I’m just saying that I see no reason for them to wait with shipping to consumers if they’ve already shipped to backers… :wink:

8 Likes

I don’t either. But from my memory they took a LOOOOOOOOOONGGGG time to ship. I got mine in late December. If it’s just 400 units it should arrive pretty quick for all the backers.

4 Likes

I remember having a childish rant about my friend receiving his 5k a few weeks before me. Pimax assured me it was completely down to the forwarding company and I believe them. My 5K turned and I loved it. Hopefully everyone will receive their 8kx reasonably quickly. :blush:

3 Likes

Considering that Pimax and I live in the same continent I’m sure they can get it here if they tried.

3 Likes

I sure hope so too… :+1:

I’m thinking they’re probably waiting with the Pimax NOW event until all backers (and maybe pre-order) units are ready to be sent (from “local” warehouses world be awesome)… :wink:

Or maybe I have too much faith in humanity…? :nerd_face:

That would be a nice surprise, wouldn’t it? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I keep thinking they want tried to livestream but the feed cut off. They are uploading the video but it’s still processing and when it’s done they will realise they uploaded the wrong one.

4 Likes

I didn’t get angry because of the order things were received in, I got angry because pre-order customers were receiving theirs and Pimax had not even shipped mine yet saying that they needed confirmation of my address, when I had infact filled in every survey monkey link they sent out and my address had not changed (was the same as on my kickstarter info) and had no special characters or any other weirdness to explain why they had not shipped to me. I only changed to the 5K+ because they’d said I would receive it quicker that way and yet 8K’s were shipping before I even got my 5K+.

I can see it happening all over again because Pimax keep flip flopping on whether they will require loaners shipping back before they’ll ship out 8KX’s. This week they say loaner labels will not prevent 8KX’s shipping to backers, but I have no faith left in statements like this and I bet they change their minds at the last minute and it will be months till I actually get my 8KX.

4 Likes

I have to agree with @geoffvader

@PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra can we get a straight answer about when the emails for the loaner unit labels will be sent. If you send them mid June, by the time the back and forth shipping and all the other potential errors we’d be getting headsets in August.

4 Likes