Woohoo! Pimax 8KX is happening!

Look like we can expect shipping from June onward. Been a long wait.

17 Likes

I upgraded in November but I’m still not expecting mine until late July or August at the earliest.

3 Likes

Do you know anything about how to return the units on loan?

2 Likes

Pimax has not posted anything on returning loan units lately, as far as I know.

3 Likes

I hope whoever has a 202 model can just keep theirs, why would they even want those back? I would have kept mine and paid the $200 or whatever if the model was the same as the newer units.

2 Likes

Just this:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/loaner-warranty/28221/2?u=trevorvr

Other than that, :man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

We will handle the loaner returns during the following week as far as I know. June is not far away now :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Looks like the projected 8kX ship date was announced in the weekly update released today.

“Second Production Kickoff”
“8th June 2020”
“Deliveries”
“June 2020”

9 Likes

In the May 14th weekly update they wrote that Backer Shipping kickoff was May 2020. Now it’s actually June 2020.

1 Like

We’ve been producing customer 8kX since May 25th, the MAS was close to production so they will merely be shipped together. We’re trying to avoid multiple shipments as that would actually cause delays.

20 Likes

Absolutely stoked :smiley:

5 Likes

Let’s wait and see. Have heard of delivery just being a few weeks or days away too often in relation with Pimax deliverables to get all too excited.

And I received a full Index kit today… still wondering if I should unpack it or sell it off, now that I finally got my base stations from Pimax. I bought Index controllers last year (because I was so stoked about woohoo ! the imminent delivery of the base stations by Pimax in late summer 2019…). I’ve got another order with Valve for only the headset, but that’ll surely take another 4-5 weeks so I could sell this package and wait for the other one… hmmm, should I open the package or not…

Any of you guys have more than 2 base stations 2.0 ? Does it add anything ?

2 Likes

3 or 4 basestations are only necessary if your playspace is, lets say, 10x10meters or so. And especially if you use more than 1 headset simultaneously. For any room up to maybe 6x6meters or even larger, and one headset, two 2.0 base stations are more than enough.

10 Likes

Yeah I have 3. It improves tracking for me, even though my playspace isnt that big, probably 4x4. Not sure why though, in theory 2 should be enough indeed. But with that 3rd I don’t get any lost tracking anymore (like when you see your controller fly away sometimes). Maybe one of my BS’s is just a bit ‘off’, not sure … Or maybe it’s because of reflections in my room? But again, for me it makes things better.

3 Likes

Sounds indeed like one of your basestations are off or have some issues? BS2.0 are by the way not so sensitive to reflections as 1.0 are.

Many times when Im working in the living room, I only turn on one 2.0 base station and it works perfectly fine, except for when my body hides the controllers of course.

5 Likes

I honestly haven’t given it much thought or paid close attention when and why it happens. But it could be very well those cases where your body indeed blocks vision to both of the BS’s. Due to circumstances I had an extra BS laying around, I connected it and ever since it’s rock stable.

2 Likes

Hmm… My order-finger is itching! What kind of delivery date is expected for new deliveries if ordered now? How big is the manufacturing volume currently?

Is September possible? Any ETA for HMDs going to stock to Amazon, etc? Good to hear from you again SweViver.

3 Likes

Hi Sweviver. Do you think it will take long to build the units needed for kickstarter and move on to the backer upgrades and preorders? I’m really looking forward to trying the 8kx. :0)

6 Likes

Pimax, will you please warn us before you discontinue the Backer Upgrade Plans that are here: https://backer.pimaxvr.com/

I’ve been waiting for reviews of the 8KX and more information in general before making my decision. I’m interested, but not at all sure yet. I’ve been waiting and hoping for more perks to make the decision easier.

4 Likes

It also depends on how the basestations are placed.

I love under a sloped roof and two of my basestations are at a height of only 1.7 meters.

So adding two more basestations actually improved tracking for me, and noticeably so. My playspace is about 4x5 meters.

3 Likes