Woohoo! Pimax 8KX is happening!

@Heliosurge

Sometimes, I really wish this forum supported something like signatures. Precisely to include updated links to such things in all my posts…

4 Likes

I haven’t seen an addon for it. But that was an old school thing. If your on mobile or linux though could likely add it to the clipboard as perm.

1 Like

I guess, we may just agree to disagree on that. I would have exactly the same comment as @jojon made already above.

The 1.4 factor @jojon mentioned is something Valve set up for the OG Vive originally and is just a value which can be characterized as “we believe it is a good tradeoff between the quality and the performance hit (of SS)”. If they had more powerful GPUs (as we have today, it might have been higher).

What is however much more important is that this “trade-off” is only true for the lenses in OG Vive! If you got different lenses (e.g. ones from Pimax) with different warping function, then the same visual quality cannot be expressed by the same factor, but has to actually include the lens characteristics, for which, the PPD is basically all is needed.

Technically, if you would want to draw any conclusion from Valve’s number (1.4), you should factor that into render density (of OG Vive), then compare it with PPD (of OG Vive), eventually incorporating the subpixel matrix, and then do the same on Pimax. Only then you get the proverbial apples to compare.

There is nothing wrong if you feel that 1.4 is the number which suits you (in your own metric), but the resemblance to the 1.4 in Valve’s setup is purely coincidental.

3 Likes

I’m hoping they are ignoring the question on purpose and it will be part on the “Now” announcement. They have produced enough to cover all upgrades and preorders. Ambitious I know. :crossed_fingers:

Why not just call it “rendered resolution” (and then use the actual resolution)? Isn’t that what it is?

1 Like

Basically. But rendered resolution can mean different things at different layers in the pipeline, actual resolution itself could refer to some different things, and sometimes there isn’t always even consensus on what the native resolution is (some arguments due to distortion correction).

TotalSR, is the maximum number of rendered vertical pixels in the pipeline, divided by, advertised native resolution in vertical pixels.

Rendered Resolution = Native Resolution * PiTool Render Quality * Some SteamVR Weirdness * Sometimes Ambiguous Application Weirdness
Actual Resolution = Native Resolution.

3 Likes

So has a single X been produced yet?

Yes. PimaxUSA confirmed that they are being produced at the moment. We don’t know how many have been produced so far, but I think thats something they intended to cover during Pimax Now(?). I can’t quite remember.

We really do need a date for Pimax Now.

4 Likes

I know it’s in production I just want to know if they made the significant milestone of producing one in the factory for X backers.

4 Likes

True. I think one of the reasons I don’t see any distortions is that my eyes are very close to the lenses.

I meant rendered resolution (per eye) is what’s shown in SteamVR already and by “actual resolution” I meant the presentation of it as horizontal * vertical pixels (like 3244*2036 or something like that) instead of saying “1.25 TotalSR” as that’s what’s actually rendered, right?

My understanding is that they have produced some for the backers and those units are probably now in QA.

5 Likes

Hopefully they QA the HELL out of it. It would really suck to see the first reviews of the 8KX be negative after 3 years.

4 Likes

I don’t think so. The point of TotalSR is readability, not performance. A 4k per-eye headset at 1x TotalSR, or a 1440v headset (5k+) at 2.2x TotalSR, says something about how readable things will be. Whereas if someone just quotes me 3244*2036, I am going to be ignoring the horizontal number (which changes a lot with FOV and display aspect ratio), as well as wondering with what headset, and what this person may have set the VR app resolution to.

2 Likes

Oh, delaying shipping the 8kX to avoid delays then?

You mean reducing the number of shipments by half?.. yes.

11 Likes

Hopefully you haven’t just jinxed it.

2 Likes

I’m not 100% sure what you mean about this statement? could you elaborate?

That HP G2 is looking so much better than index right now

2 Likes

In theory, if everything in the rendering pipeline was lined up, and any graphics were written to the framebuffers the way HUDs for traditional desktop gaming were (ie. text exactly aligned to the display like what you are probably reading on a monitor right here), then rendering at exactly native resolution, would not be improved upon by higher-resolution displays.

In practice, distortion correction is another reason that alignment is not achieved. Thus, 1440v rendered pixels, looks better in the 8kX, than the 5k+.

2 Likes