Why does the Pimax 8KX: Review

Let’s avoid presumptions. It is bad enough we have someone not enlightened enough to know “Jesus” is a fairly normal name in some countries and is not linked to religion.

For example I do have a friend named Thor whom is not a Norse Thunder god and was not named after one.

9 Likes

Gotcha

What I said was a joke and aimed to lighten the serious atmosphere around here.

Pls no one takes it too serious :slightly_smiling_face: it meant no disrespect

2 Likes

Hopefully no harm done.

Folks like @mirage335 have the right idea. Instead of making unreasonable presumptions. Find out what problems he is having and give suggestions/advice on how to improve his experience.

Instead due to the Op’s perceived upset some felt the need to call his position in question to whether he had a headset. Due to posting as was said known issues. Then another felt the need to instead of helping pointed out his profile entered name.

We need to as a community try to help new members instead of pushing them away.

6 Likes

@Heliosurge, as a relative newcomer I find this community generally fairly welcoming.

But I would like to second the request for a guide that assumes no prior experience of VR.

I’m a tinkerer - I’ve built my own PCs, and I’m not afraid to change BIOS settings or edit the Windows Registry. So I’m not asking for something dumbed-down, just something that will accelerate the learning process.

Given what I have seen of communications from Pimax itself (no offence, but sometimes the meaning is not clear in English), and noting the existing demands on @PimaxUSA and @SweViver, perhaps such a document would be best attempted by a forum user?

7 Likes

Hi @Bananenbieger
Would you mind posting some photos of your 8kX unit, as now I wonder if it is some different unit than other got? it’s a pitty you can’t enjoy your 8kX like other do (yet?). :confused: but maybe we can get you there. New Pitool version (called pimax experience) is close to the release and will make the use (at least software part) even more user friendly. thx!

4 Likes

There is a getting started faq that can be made more visible(it is in the table of content wiki organized by @Davebobman) But needs updating as it is getting old now now.

@SweViver and other yoytubers like @Ludiks do have some helpful videos.

But to update the getting started wiki needs more community involvement. I had did a lot of work after it was suggested. However it needs more people choosing to be involved.

Pimax Experience project Marcin is heavily working on will make things easier for folks for sure.

Here is link that has some of the links mentioned. I think the pitool links are outdated though.

5 Likes

Can you post pictures of your useless toy for us to see?

We’d love to see it.

3 Likes

As a community, all we can do in such cases is to provide a little technical support for the most productive comments. All we can hope to gain is to slightly improve the public perception of the VR community as a whole (note, not Pimax specifically).

There is only a little that can or should be done.

@Bananenbieger
I wish you luck for what it’s worth. Tens to thousands of hours tinkering is fairly normal from PC gamers, to PC flight sim, to PC software developers. PCs allow all kinds of hardware to be mixed and matched - vendors just cannot set a default resolution that works for all. It gets a lot easier to deal with PCs after achieving a high degree of competence. However, gaming consoles really are a good approach if you want something that just works, since the entire console is a package deal that the vendor can make consistent.

_
_

@PimaxUSA
Your assessment is 100% correct. In precise terms, extremely impatient personalities bring out too much destruction from productive communities of less impatient persons doing constructive work in a universe that itself trends to maximum entropy. Fact. This community must minimize contact with this person. Facetiousness can be avoided by consistently taking that position.

@geoffvader
I could tell stories from serving on HacDC (501c3) BoD, and having hardware projects I was deeply involved with severely deranged. Stirring the pot like you did was outrageous and blatantly disingenuous. Stop.

@Axacuatl @geoffvader
Please do not pretend this can be generalized to any significant part of the PC VR headset userbase. Only way a PC works ‘out-of-the-box’ without even changing resolution is pure coincidence between defaults and installed hardware. Like Valve Index and top GPU. A gaming console is the right suggestion here, not Pimax Experience, not a user guide.

@SweViver
Sorry you were @ mentioned here. TLDR, even Valve couldn’t make the Index reliably support such casual use of PC hardware. Pimax is not PSVR, nothing to see here, move along.

4 Likes

Nice to see people here offering help but also notice he did not ask for help, only to express his dislike for the headset, it’s quality, lack of plug n play and disappointment for the company and to suggest medical help for calling him out

If he actually wants to get his 8kx working he can put in the effort to do so, we don’t need to pander to him

Maybe his healthy herbs can enlighten him yes? Let’s see

3 Likes

@Mikenz666
All true, but as I said, there is zero benefit to us by pointing these things out.

1 Like

Not completely true. Often if users used prescribed suggested settings often games will run reasonably well without the need to tweak things. It is usually when things run poorly or tries boost settings too high that things get trickier.

Sure there are games out there that have poor autodect best settings out there.

Don’t dismiss others views either that do not match your perception.

No need to minimize interactions with a user just choose the right kind of interaction to help rather than poke and belittle.

Marcin’s project is in line with Pimax’s original Aim of Piplay during the 4k days. Make VR easier for folks.

4 Likes

People expect plug & play to be exactly that. A big misnomer advertising speil of PCs. Angry customers rarely ask for help when something is said to be easy to use and is not.

There is a lot of things I can do easy. That some would find very difficult.

3 Likes

Pure coincidence between defaults and installed hardware.

often games will run reasonably well without the need to tweak things

Splitting hairs.

Yes, on a hit-or-miss basis, sometimes things will just work. Pimax Experience will help make things easier. Is it feasible to guarantee this with the industry in its current state? No, and there are better things to do.

Nope good programming shouldn’t be pushed aside due to many poorly coded aps.

Really, in computer terminology, ‘plug & play’ means something very different than what it means to consumers. IIRC, at the time that term started being used, it was a wonder the OS could recognize what device had just been connected and use the correct drivers at all. Instead of like, loading the matching program, to talk to the matching serial port device, as is still done to this day with more industrial equipment such as 3D printers.

1 Like

Plug & play as marketed vs how it often isn’t.

If you look at it that way, SteamVR and Oculus runtime support should not be advertised at all. Instead, Pimax should create their own VR games to play for their headsets.

Such walled gardens are of course rightly the domain of gaming consoles.

Well in that regard I have often had not too much issues using defaults.

As for oculus I am sure like a console if your only using their hardware and platform likely works quite reasonably well. Remember you can’t blame the OS if an ap is not made well to work on it.

Pimax has enough problems creating a stable driver and interface. You want them to honestly struggle more by spreading themselves thinner?

However let’s not derail this topic further with perspective philosophies.

1 Like

Ding ding! That’s precisely my point, win a prize!

1 Like

… Are You absolutely sure? Never wondered about the hammer he always brings? :thinking::flushed:

5 Likes