Who has stable LH 2.0 tracking on 8Kx 😀

It must work well without calibration

1 Like

Yes it should out of the box. Though it seems pimax has some units out there with tracking issues related to manufacturing issues.

Thank you. I did the calibration + uploaded the new auto*.json but the jitter is still there. It is less jittery when using the lighhouse V1 instead of V2.

After calibrating and sending .json again, have you completely removed the Pimax from the PC? and deleted the old config.json from these routes?

C: \ ProgramData \ pimax \ runtime \ config \ lighthouse
C: \ ProgramData \ pimax \ runtime \ backup \ lighthouse
X: \ Steam \ config \ lighthouse \ lhr-xxxxxxxx

Have you re-calibrated the room in Pitool and SteamVR (standing or sitting mode) keeping the same position of the HMD without touching it at all in both calibrations? and it is good to use a position that is well visible by the lighthouses where you know that it has very little jitter.

By the way can you do a jitter test with this utility also putting the controllers and letting 10000 frames pass?

I recalibrated mine with vrtrackingcalib about 10 times, using in each new calibration the .json generated in the previous calibration. Don’t settle for just one calibration.

3 Likes

I have done all this - and I have posted results to the drive sheet - HTC Vive Tracking Data - Google Sheets

under nick festr - would you please check/comment my values? Its after 7x calibrations. I can still see annoying jitter - I’m not sure if it gets better or not, but the jitter is definitively there like the static picture is not super steady like on oculus for example.

1 Like

I use 2 v1.0, 2x is better

Oculus (apart from Rift CV1) uses an inside out tracking which is not jittering. It is not comparable to the lighthouse. Concerning your particular situation the jitter could be caused by other factors. Do you have a shiny surfaces nearby your head? Could you try to turn the monitors off (or turn them to face the other direction)?

Besides the values you posted in the spreadsheet, if they are coming from 8k-X they do not look bad, so something else might be in play, which is not exactly characterized by the tool.

1 Like

I just did 2 tests with “tracking stats” and I have uploaded the results to the same document. The first is just my 8KX in the position where I have the least jitter that is hanging from the wall. The second test is in the normal playing position and with the index controller next to it.
In the 1st I have very good jitter values
In the 2nd I have mediocre Average Rotational Deviation values, even worse than @festr, but I can assure you that I do not detect any jitter while I am playing, either Hlaf Life Alyx or Dirt Rally 2.0, that is, both in room scale games as sitting in driving simulators, I have no visible jitter. I think @festr you have good jitter values, more like NO jitter, and it can all depend on the position of both LH 2.0 in your game room or other factors as Risa2000 comments.

1 Like

can you please make one more test - simply put your headset on some steady surface and enable screen on your monitor so you can see on PC monitor what you see - do you see any jittering move ? (the jitter is more visilble on the edges of the screen) I’m super sensitive to this jitter and I cannot stand it. If I turn off the positioning having only 9axes (builtin gyros in the HMD) its super steady obviously.

1 Like

I just recorded a video with what you ask, the first impression is that there is no jitter but if you look at the upper right corner of the SteamVR status window for reference, which almost touches the tree branch, you will see a small tremor, but that when you have the HMD is not noticeable. When I know that the tracking is stable without jitter is when it goes into standby mode, in this case it was 30 seconds and it has done it perfectly.

2 Likes

Hi Jaime

I think it’s the internal gyro that’s is used for the standby mode activation.

1 Like

This is my game room, as you can see it is small and complex, susceptible to interference of all kinds with so many things involved:

2 Likes

Ahh, it could be, although depending on the more or less stable follow-up it does not go into standby mode. But I couldn’t be sure.
Then the IMU was well calibrated, do you remember that we also gave a lot of thought to the subject to do a calibration of the IMU. :rofl:

EDIT: Confirmed, it is the IMU that is in charge of entering standby mode, in the same position as before, I have covered the HMD medium to cause jitter and even an LH2.0 has disappeared for not detecting any sensor, the image showed jitter but still at 30 sec. It has entered standby mode, although it must be said that the IMU (gyroscope) is super sensitive, the slightest touch already activates the HMD again.

2 Likes

Mine is a bit odd. Got 2x LH v1
Tracking is about 500 better with just one and sitting down the tracking is good from the back, bad from the front. about 200 less than both. In other words its quite bad and causes a lot of jitter and shimmering.

I can calibrate and upload run room setups etc and it can hover around 0.000500 for Average rotation. But as soon as i move it once and test again it will just be at 0.002200 giving off a ton of jitter.

Dont get what its problem is really.

1 Like

I cant get a rid of the slight jitter - why pimax does not implement some algorithm which smooths out this little jitter? They can inspire from opentrack software where there are like 4 algorithms which allows to get rid of the jitter (even with parameters) - this would be completely enough to suppress this annoying shimmering.

4 Likes

I was actually just about to write the same thing!

I know Pimax are not afraid to shy away from pushing boundaries and try new things so i really wish we could have a smoothing slider so we could get rid of these micro jitters. Different people can tolerate different levels of course and you would need it less for room scale games. For seated gaming like flight sims however this would be a god send. It really feels like a lot of shimmer is coming from micro jitter too.

Ill make that into its own post. feel free to chime in
https://community.openmr.ai/t/feature-request-vr-smoothing-slider-to-combat-micro-jitter-and-unnecessary-shimmering-seated-gaming-flight-racing/36392

1 Like

this is exactly what it needs to be done. I do not have problems with the tracking at all except this micro jittering.

1 Like

I think thats a question for @Alex.liu

2 Likes

So I just ordered an 8kx, and this thread has me extremely worried. Is the only “solution” right now to get 1.0 base stations and try the calibration that uploads the .json and hope for the best? :x

in my case I have the same jitter on base 1.0 and 2.0 - you will be maybe sattisfied with it but I’m not.