Who has stable LH 2.0 tracking on 8Kx šŸ˜€

@Chumet @DirtyCes
The SteamVR room setup (or standing position) does not really mean a calibration in a true sense. It just sets the coordinate origin in the tracking space for the HMD (at which it will reappear next time you start a VR app).

The actual tracking space (geometry) is re-calibrated in the run time, every time when the ā€œsolverā€ figures out that the projected positions no longer fits in a defined margin. You can see it in a SteamVR Web console from time to time it says something like ā€œrepositioning base XY because ZWā€.

The problem is when the tracked object (geometry) is not precise, i.e. the physical sensor positions do not correspond to the ones given in the configuration file. Then there is a discrepancy between the projected position (by the solver) and as the system tries to autocorrect, it leads to the jitter.

The other problem which may cause the jitter is the sensor placement and how good it is to calculate a pose (even if they are super precise), there is an inherent jitter in the system corresponding to the size of the sensors the way they are lit by the lasers etc.

You can improve (fix) the first part of it by getting the sensor positions as good as it gets, you cannot fix the second part without redesigning the headset.

Since the HMD seems to have a bigger weight in determining the tracking space, if you see the jittering controllers in VR, it could as well mean that the HMD pose is jittering and the controllers are just the victims. (It really depends on the two factors I mentioned above and how they are implemented in both the HMD and the controllers.)

4 Likes

Ok, let me see what I can do. Iā€™m going to find my wall mounts and figure things out. Honestly this is becoming one of my worst purchases and Iā€™m getting really upset about it.

Why does this thread got 500 messages oO ? xD

2 Likes

Well if you own either one of the new Pimax Vision series HMDā€™s and Lighthouse 2.0ā€™s then there is a very big chance you would know :wink:

5 Likes

In summery donā€™t get light house 2.0 with 8k X . Get 8k X with lighthouse 1.0 . Thatā€™s it :slightly_smiling_face:

Really ? Well I have two 2.0ā€™s. I see in Microcenter there is an open box one for $120. Should I get it ? Will it help if I ran all 3 ?

Update , I just looked and they donā€™t work together

Yeah LH v1.0 is not compatible with v2.0 Lighthouses.

Version 1 LH had a few differences including needing to be able to see other Lighthouses in use either by Line of Sight to each other or vis a sync cable.

It seems maybe that Pimax will need to adjust there implementstion of Lighthouse tracking since they had to make Lighthouse tracking available outside of SteamVR for use with Oculus titles.

Due to how long it was before Valve released LH v2.0. Pimax likely did there development with LH v1.0 standards and will need to upgrade there implementation.

1 Like

I havenā€™t had a lot time to play with 8kx lately, I still need to do the other recommend jitter test and post the results, but today I had a little time. I received a 3rd base station 2.0. I use the base station view software to see where they are tracking. I have them set up like a triangle and Iā€™m in the center. On the simple jitter test Iā€™m still getting 1.2 to 1.5, no change with 3 base stations from 2. I did the whole room setup again in pitool and steamvr. Iā€™m completely lost here. In the Pavlov shooting range itā€™s like impossible to snipe the jitter is just bad. I have an airsoft sniper and I picked it up and looked down the scope to make sure it wasnā€™t me with the jitter and it not me. Itā€™s just bad. I also have a stock for my index controllers. Can pimax fix this problem?

Considering how long this issue has been reported and the plethora of tickets opened via support with no viable feedback, Iā€™d wager that no, Pimax cannot fix this problem.

Using more basestations 2.0 than two doesnā€™t fix the issue; I have 4 of them and the jitter was not acceptable.

Something about the Vision series or at least the 8KX is different from previous Pimax HMDs when it comes to lighthouse tracking.

It appears from anecdotal evidence that using 1.0 basestations will improve the situation.

1 Like

ageed.

The 8KX can be recalibrated, but this requires access to a 1.0 basestation and Valve HDK + the knowhow.

This can be done with a 2.0 basestation as well if we could just get the updated version of the calibration tool, that supports 2.0 basestation.
We have inquired Pimax for this, but no answers, no nothing unfortunately.
Personally I would love to get hold of that updated file !

3 Likes

Iā€™m thinking about buying LH1.0 - but is the know-how described somewhere already? (if I will want to recalibrate it)

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing, Instead I bought another 2.0. Iā€™m thinking now I should have bought a 1.0 to do the calibration. I spent so much whatā€™s another $100 buck right.hahaha

I have to say that I really do like the picture on the 8kx, Iā€™m coming from a quest 2 that I played with for about 2 weeks and my 5yr old decided itā€™s his now and spur of the moment I was in microcenter and saw the pimax 8kx and bought it. I did the vive strap mod and the counterweights, shimmed the left and right side of the face pad so itā€™s on my face and blocks light from coming through. I have a 60 ipd so I have issues with the dead center being a little blurry fuzzy. It really got me upset at first, but Iā€™m used to it. I actually donā€™t mind it now because my eyes adjusted to it and when I glance right or left with my eyes the picture is clear which i like and also for some reason the dead center seems to clear up as iā€™m playing that i find myself saying why is it clear now. Then I start closing one eye at a time then itā€™s blurry and fuzzy again, lol, but clears up again.

The point is that little problems the 8kx has I managed to fix with mods or the ipd thing that upset me earlier ended up not being so bad for me but this jitter crap is really a bad thing. Itā€™s like I drank 10 cups of coffee, 5 g fuels, 4 redbulls, and a preworkout all at once and I have the jitters. This for me is a deal breaker. Once this is resolved I think and hope I can finally enjoy this device or Iā€™m going to tie it behind my car doing 70mph on the highway. JK

4 Likes

@Chumet Will have to organise a teamviewer sessions with you to calibrate the 2.0 BS, as I still have undesirable jitter while sitting in car as still as possible.

Let me know a date and time when you can?

Iā€™m thinking of buying BS 1.0 and trying that out to mitigate jitter. I sim race and my rig is very close to the wall. No controllers and donā€™t playing standing games atm.

How many BS 1.0s should I get? I use One Valve BS 2.0 atm but it has the jitters.

How far is your headset from the bases?

1 Like

@risa2000 Hereā€™s a couple of pics to show where the 2.0 is currently marked by the ā€œxā€ and shown in the first pic. Driver sits around 120cm from the wall.

1 Like

So my rough estimate is that the headset is ~ 2,5 m from the base (sqrt(125**2 + 180**2 + 120**2)). This should not be a problem. Being too close can make the position solving difficult especially if the sensors are not correctly placed (or their position calibrated).

1 Like

Hi, is there anyone who is willing to share instructions, how to calibrate sensors on my 8kx using the LH1 ?

Try to follow these steps, if you need help I can help you privately.

2 Likes

Distance to your headset must be not close than 1.5m. 160 cm is enough i think. 1 LH is must be enough too. Just mount it near your ceiling at the wall.

1 Like