Who has stable LH 2.0 tracking on 8Kx šŸ˜€

Hi everyone, I finally have the time to retrace my tests here. After fighting with jitter for a while, I know have stable tracking with my 5K+ and two BS2.0.

For information, I first performed the recalibration of my 5K+ using a BS1.0. I think that I did it approximatively 8 times, to no avail. The jitter was still the same. Honestly I was a bit annoyed that I was not able to get anything decentā€¦ At this point in the story it is important to confirm that whenever I recalibrated and sent the json file to the HMD, I was also deleting the backup files and config files in C:\ProgramData\pimax\runtime

I donā€™t know why but I decided to make an experimentation with the Steam VR room setup as well. I first recorded a few videos of the Jitter with the Pitool room setup and the new config.json that I obtained after 10 recalibrations. Then I did the room setup in Steam VR, launched the applications, and the jitter was almost entirely goneā€¦ Hourray! But as that surprised me, I reverted to the original config.json, and found that the jitter was still gone while using the room setup calibrated using Steam VRā€¦ So I decided to try to revert even further and did a new room setup in Pitool (hoping that it would overwritte the steam VR config) and still no jitterā€¦ Here is a link to the video of the different steps if you are interested : https://youtu.be/AzrsEmQ5xsk

However, that mihght not be the most interesting part of the story. Because when I tested my HMD again a few days later I was back to step 1: annoying jitter. At that point I knew that the room was calibrated with steam VR, but that I was using the original json file. So I started by uploading the recalibrated json file. Jitter was still there. I calibrated the room with steam VR, and it was still the same. I could not manage to reproduce the previous jitter-free conditions.

So I did a last test and rebooted my computer. And now on testing my HMD the jitter was gone.

As @chumet was asking me to share my story, I was thinking that it might show a few lights on how things work. I have the impression that uploading the calibrated json file and deleting backups is not enough, but I am not sure why a full reboot would be necessary (I have not tried rebooting only Steam VR, or individual processes). I also have not had the time to test my HMD further recently, but at least I know that it is possible to get jitter-free conditionsā€¦

I hope that it can help some people as well.

2 Likes

Hi, is it possible to do calibration on my own with LH 2.0? Or I will have to own someone with steam vr?

Hi lhoyet

What you are describing, is that with your 5K+ and an 8Kx as well ?

anywho, when you uplaodanother config.json to your HMD you need to redo the SteamVR room setup, same goes for first time use.
Or else SteamVR will not know what the ā€œuniverseā€ is and where the HMD is in that.

Thanks for posting :slight_smile:

That would be something to ask Valve as they are the ones that made them. As you said the v1 was fine; the v2 should have in theory by Valveā€™s press a simple swap and should have had no difference in use.

It was only for the 5K+ (with the blue coating), as I do not have a 8Kx.

What I really learned on my side was that

1. doing the Pitool calibration only might is not enough, I also need the Steam VR Room setup to be performed
  2. That when uploading the new json file even though I did a room calibration afterwards, it was only when I restarted my computer that I the new json file was fully taken into account (not sure why though).
3 Likes

If you talk about uploading the JSON config into the headset by using lighthouse_console.exe uploadconfig, then you need to power off and power on again the headset afterwards in order for the new JSON taking effect. ā€œUploadingā€ the file is just writing it into a flash memory in the lighthouse controller (which is in the headset) but the actual values are used when the chip (with the headset, which is powering the chip) starts.

4 Likes

That would explain why I could not see differences then ^^

Thanks for the feedback

1 Like

Wierd sh** seems to happen like that with me when i am running 75hz instead of 60hz.
everything seems fine at 4k native 60.

I personally dont care about 60 to 75 frames - thats me, I guess my eyes arent picky.
I hear others get motion illness issues without high frames, i dont.
/shrug.

still I think the cause is the refresh.
NVTL im convinced this issue has to do with the USB Bus.
(in the sharing bandwidth on the root hub)
But thats [just] my [guess].

Heyo, I just spent an hour or so reading this entire thread. I come from this reddit post. While I did indeed read everything my head started to hit max capacity about halfway through. Would anyone be willing to tell me if there is anything I can personally do to reduce this jitter or will I have to get on teamviewer with a support agent? Here are my jittertest numbers

With both 1.0 Lighthouses Running im getting an average result of this:

With a single 2.0 index Lighthouse Running im getting an average result of this

With both 2.0 index Lighthouses Running im getting an average result of this:

While the jitter is a bit lower with the 1.0 lighthouses its nowhere near low enough.
Here is the Valve Index with both 2.0 index lighthouses

2 Likes

Due to the positioning system of the lighthouse 2.0, the positioning may be more unstable than with the v1.0, but they always position themselves without losing the positioning, although with jitter, on the other hand, the v1.0 either correctly detect the position of the HMD or you lose monitoring. So the jitter tests are better with v1.0 than with 2.0.
Since you have both versions of lighthouse, with v1.0 you could calibrate the earpiece sensors yourself. In this huge thread we will explain it, but it can be complicated if you start from 0. Since you need SteamVR tracking HDK and its utility vrtrackingcalib.exe.
Before getting involved with calibrations, position the lighthouse 2.0 in your play space as recommended at about 2m high at 45Āŗ incline and as far apart as possible on the diagonals of the room.
It is always important to recalibrate the playing area both in steamVR and in pitool and better if you do it with the exact same position of the headset, without moving it at all between both calibrations. If your jitter with the lighthouse 2.0 is not better than the data you show (which is not good), you can move on to calibrating the sensors. Then they could help you from the Pimax support, since I see that now they offer to do it. It took me weeks to discover the problem of miscalibration of my Pimax 8KX and to be able to calibrate it myself.
Take heart because your Pimax 8KX can give better results.

3 Likes

I have 5K Super, just buy it.

So, where is the problem? I spend 1k$ to find this problem? WTF?
I have identical the same problem like in video. ā€‹can they solve it?

And thatā€™s mine situation

Problem solved. Do you want stable tracking? Buy two base stations 1.0 or minimum three 2.0. Solved, close the thread. I have no idea what are you talking here 492 replays lol. I just test my helmet in VR Club with different type of base stations. The problem is in base stations. 1.0 is better tracking.

Like, subscribe :wink:

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ This improved tracking of V1 Lighthouses maybe due to v1s need to see each other vs v2 which do not. V1 creates a triangle

V1 Below
:eyes:Lighthouse1 ----:eyes:---- Lighthouse2 :eyes:
-----------------\:eyes:Headset :eyes:/---------------

Vs V2
Lighthouse1 ------------- Lighthouse2
-----------------\:eyes:Headset :eyes:/------------

3rd Lighthouse might improve the triangulation.

1 Like

As we have commented in the thread, the jitter problem is not always, it is caused by a bad calibration of the Pimax optical sensors, many times it is due to the position of the base stations, and it was known and confirmed that v1.0 They had a much more stable following as @heliosurgo explains. I actually bought 2x V1.0 to fix the jitter I had with v2.0. But I was also able to calibrate my Pimax thanks to having the 1.0 base stations and when I tried it together with the v2.0, I verified that the jitter had also disappeared. So I have stayed with the V2.0 that are much better in many aspects.
The ā€œpatchā€ may be to jump to an old but reliable technology, however that is not the solution.

Anyway Iā€™m glad you fixed your problem and are happy with your v1.0 base stations.

3 Likes

I suspect part of the problem is pimax has used v1 valve info for setting up there implementation of SteamVR tracking. So at a guess since pimax needed to implement there own version of Lighthouse tracking in part so it can be used in Oculus mode. It needs an update in pimaxā€™s flavour to properly support Lighthouse v2.0 tracking.

1 Like

Ohhh boy, I came across this post and did the jitter test. It was 1.4 or 1.6. I thought the jitter was me. But the controllers on the floor with the headset big time jitter. 8kx with 2 base stations 2.0. one is mounted on a shelf with a clip and doesnā€™t move and the other is on a tripod but it tied for now to a heat pipe so itā€™s pretty stable. I started to look into it because on Pavlov my gun was shaking like Iā€™m an old man and I thought it was me.

I have no idea what to do but I think Iā€™m going to wall mount them but to be honest I think it is going to be the same. No reflective surfaces or windows. No Asus aura, tower does have RGB but I turned them off in the bios and it the same outcome

Any ideas I can try out software wise

Try trackingstats: Tracking Stats.zip - Google Drive with HMD and controllers, post results. Surely the controllers have a stable tracking but since the view is from the HMDā€™s point of view, if the HMD shakes the controllers will also see them shake. Try to reposition the base stations until you optimize the jitter to values ā€‹ā€‹close to those of the controllers. And try to recalibrate the room from Pitool and Steamvr with a position on the HMD where you have less jitter, and when calibrating the room, do not move it until you have done it in both places. It is always good to close pitool and steamVR or restart the PC when making any changes to confirm that there really are variations. You have to discard all these points before thinking that you may have a bad calibration of the optical sensors of your Pimax, since that is a difficult task to solve. Although now pimax technical support offers to collaborate via Teamviewer.

Good luck and waiting for results.

2 Likes

Will do, but one thing. Your talking about the room setup on pitool and steamvr right, if so, on the pitool it tells me to hold the headset standing position with the headset off which I thought was weird because I have to hit the button then step over to the center room. Should I just leave it on the floor ? Also on steamvr it shows the animation guy putting the unit on a stool , should I also just put it on the floor.

As far as I remember You can just press and hold the trigger button on the (VR) controller for a few seconds.