Who has stable LH 2.0 tracking on 8Kx 😀

Hey everyone, sorry for not testing this numerically, but my LH 2.0 units are not in a convenient place to be doing much more than ‘run PE and launch PavlovVR’. On top of that, I have found myself occupied with multiple projects simultaneously, about half of them VR related, and most of them far more important.

All I can say is, both my LH 1.0 and LH 2.0 units are stable enough to aim precisely and steadily through the high-zoom scopes in both PavlovVR and Onward at ranges of 350m (approximately one end of the map to the other), and tracking does not drift during Virtual Desktop use.

Also, I have well developed plans to supplement and not rely on LH tracking in the future.

Sorry folks, it will be a while (months) before I get around to this, if ever.

1 Like

I finally got around to doing a recalibration of my 8K-X with Chumet’s method.
The result is pretty good!
Attaching some pictures:

BEFORE (this was a best case, sometimes it would go above 1.0 max deviation):

AFTER:
8kxtracking_AFTER_3lh_jitter

BEFORE:
Screenshot was not saved properly but positional average was 104 (vs 70 after, see below)

AFTER:

Did a quick test with the HMD, things look much more stable, will do some more testing and report back with subjective results.

4 Likes

@Milopapa So you’ve managed to get vrtrackingcalib to work together with a 1.0 base station I guess. I’m glad the positioning stability has improved. You still have something high in rotation 0.002400, it was fine but values ​​close to 0.001000 are possible. I have done about 10 calibrations, and what I did was repeat the calibration with the previous generated file, so you recalibrate and get even closer to the real positions of your sensors. During the calibration they indicate in the guides that are attached in “DOCS” within SteamVR tracking HDK, that the HMD must be moved around the room, not just rotated in front of the lighthouse. And another piece of information is that when the calibration ends, it tells you which values ​​have obtained the greatest difference, I wrote it down and repeated it to see if that difference was repeated in the same sensor, then you use that json data that there are still sensors with different positions from the previous json to the last generated. Then you use that json data that there are still sensors with different positions from the previous json to the last generated.

A short video of how the calibration progresses for those who are trying:

These are my current data, the initial ones are much higher than this thread, but the improvement is spectacular in my case.

4 Likes

Is this calibration still only possible with v1 lighthouses? Do we know why that is?

1 Like

I don’t know yet, I have written to valve and asked in the forum: SteamVR Tracking HDK General Discussions :: Steam Community, but there is no information on a solution. It seems to me that they only support developers who use their kit, and I don’t think I have enough technical knowledge to ask a question that they want to answer. It makes me angry not to get it, because it would be very beneficial for all of us, and for me, since I no longer have a 1.0 base station in my possession.

4 Likes

Damn, that is sad to hear. Looks like selling it is going to be the better option then, and hope they don’t make such a braindead stupid decision on their next generation of headsets with such a ridiculous and pointless physical limitation of IPD. Glad yours is working though, enjoy!

Knuckles work with Base Stations 1.0

There appears to be a newer version of the HDK than is available on Steam.

It is mentioned in this thread: Optical Calibration Stuck :: SteamVR Tracking HDK General Discussions

That thread would suggest I have ‘Asian’ lighthouse v2 units. Which is odd, seeing as I bought them from Scan computers in the the UK.

There is an alpha branch of the HDK Steam application, but it is in-line with the public branch according to steamdb (although, the branch is behind a password, so I am not sure if that is accurate)
https://steamdb.info/app/507090/depots/

1 Like

Hi Chumet
Apparently we need vrtrackingcalib.exe v5.3.17.82 for it to work with all Basestation 2.0
The one we have is v4.55.21.43 :thinking:

@PimaxQuorra @Alex.liu could you please ask your developers for this file, seeing that Pimax have a license signed for it, you must posesses it.

2 Likes

I have tried to request that version of vrtrackingcalib 5.3.17.82, that steam thread I had already read, and I got in touch with Ben Jackson from valve software, he answered me but with more questions, I explained something better why I wanted to try that version of vrtrackingcalib, but no response anymore.

If we could find a way to get it, that would be great. I have the one that installs the SetamVR tracking HDK package, which is version 4.55.21.43. I have even tried to download everything through Japan’s VPN, to see if the location offered me another version from Asia, as indicated in the Steam HDK forum. But I got the same version. I have also tried to download from the Depot: https://steamdb.info/depot/507091/history/?changeid=M:1929760962115402869, with the Steam console commands, but it gives manifest error:

Write this directly in the browser bar:
steam: // open / console
And from the steam download console:
download_depot 507091 2855979 1929760962115402869

But no luck. I’m not sure what I’m doing either, maybe someone around here can get it.

2 Likes

https://steamdb.info/app/507090/depots/
I have not setup a partnership with Valve, thus not able to add it to my Steam inventory.

Someone in the forum that may have access to it might be @mmorselli & @knob2001

I signed up: Steamworks
It’s free, just a few steps.
And then I could download SteamTraking HDK: steam:/ install/507090/

1 Like

I have tried the other manifests to see if the older versions of the HDK are different, but unfortunately it does not look like they are available, steamcmd will not download them complaining about a missing manifest

Checking the manifest installed on my PC inside Steam / Steamapps (appmanifest_507090.acf)

It seems to me that I already have everything we are trying to achieve installed,
This is the inside of the appmanifest_507090.acf:

"AppState"
{
	"appid"		"507090"
	"Universe"		"1"
	"LauncherPath"		"D:\\Steam\\steam.exe"
	"name"		"SteamVR Tracking HDK"
	"StateFlags"		"4"
	"installdir"		"SteamVR Tracking HDK"
	"LastUpdated"		"1616451661"
	"UpdateResult"		"0"
	"SizeOnDisk"		"1594732516"
	"buildid"		"2855979"
	"LastOwner"		"76561198273685899"
	"BytesToDownload"		"709090064"
	"BytesDownloaded"		"709090064"
	"BytesToStage"		"1594732516"
	"BytesStaged"		"1594732516"
	"AutoUpdateBehavior"		"0"
	"AllowOtherDownloadsWhileRunning"		"0"
	"ScheduledAutoUpdate"		"0"
	"InstalledDepots"
	{
		"507091"
		{
			"manifest"		"1929760962115402869"
			"size"		"1594732516"
		}
	}
	"SharedDepots"
	{
		"228985"		"228980"
	}
	"UserConfig"
	{
		"language"		"english"
	}
}

It seems to me that the version vrtrackingcalib 5.3.17.82 will have to be obtained in another way.

2 Likes

I have severe tracking jitter while in SteamVR home and car cockpit in iracing. I’ll check that the BS is secured firmly as it’s attached to a plank of wood which is clamped to a bookcase.

I’m thinking of uninstalling and deleting everything related to pitool and SteamVR and starting again to see how that goes.

If no improvement, might ask @Chumet to do a teamview session if that’s okay with them to calibrate my tracking.

2 Likes

Ok, no problem, I can help you see if you can improve it. I always had a lot of jitter, although in normal games (not simulators) it did not bother me to have my head in constant movement, it does not affect much. But if it is true that in driving simulators in my case, rFactor 2, iRacing or Dirt Rally 2.0, the cockpit view seems to have the car shaking (engine vibration), it is very annoying. And it also deviated upward when turning the head, it did not follow the natural movement. It was all the fault of a poor calibration of the Pimax’s optical sensors.
Teamview does it, it’s a good idea, I don’t have it but I can install it. Although I don’t speak English. All this is with the google translator. But we can try, it will be faster than a private chat, with countless messages. You tell me by MP how we do it.

Tell me what Pimax you have and what base stations. Reinstalling everything, I don’t think it will help you. But if you are willing to start from scratch, the ideal is to do it after the new calibration, so all the configurations will start on a good basis.

2 Likes

@Chumet

I own a 8K X and 1 Valve 2.0 BS. I’m going to make a wall mount bracket out of mdf so hopefully BS is more securely placed.

I have uninstalled Pitool and SteamVR and anything registry related. I’ll start installing everything again.

When I first received the 8K X, installed everything and got the tracking to work, there was No jitters.

I’ll let you know how I go. I’m in Australia, so there will be a time difference to where your located.

1 Like

@thenic123 Try using two seperate externally powered 5v USB hubs to power the 8KX, also try testing tracking using all the different display ports (some display ports have reduced bandwidth capacity), and remove all unused USB devices and all unneeded PCI extensions such as sound cards before testing.

Failing that, your tracking may need to be recalibrated, with SteamVR tracking HDK package “vrtrackingcalib.exe” version 4.55.21.43 if you use basestations 1.0s, or with
“vrtrackingcalib.exe” v5.3.17.82 if you have basestation 2.0s

If recalibrating tracking doesn’t work, then it’s likely you have faulty watchmen dongles inside the headset, but I would be less inclined to think that’s the case for you, considering you said at one point in the past you were able to use the 8KX with flawless tracking.
Whilst it’s possible for those things to eventually go faulty, it’s a lot more likely a faulty watchman dongle or dongles would be faulty out of the box.

I’d also say it’s possible that your motherboard isn’t good enough to deliver the bandwidth requirements of the 8KX and tracking without tracking jitters, as not all motherboards are created equal, but since it was working for you without problems when you started using it I would discount that possibility entirely when it comes to your circumstances.

There’s not much else I can think of besides maybe removing any Bluetooth or wireless devices that are causing interference such as phones or any devices which are wifi capable from the room, or try a clean windows reinstall if that doesn’t work.

@thenic123 Also comment that with a single base station 2.0, it is normal that it can have jitter if it is not well oriented to your HMD. Don’t put it right in front of or at the same height as your face. That makes it detect few sensors and the positioning becomes unstable. I deactivate the rear base station and leave only the one in front of me, I have a very good positioning while there is no occlusion. But I have it at 2.3 meters high, with an inclination of 45º and displaced to one side 1 meter from the center of your play area (cockpit) and that the distance between the base station and your HMD is greater than 2 meters, from this So the base station will see more sensors from the HMD when you’re sitting behind the wheel, which I think is your biggest hobby. Regarding the support. I tried many fixing methods, and what gives me more stability is to make it as simple and rigid as possible, avoiding joints. This is how I have them.
If you finally need help for TeamViewer, I already have it installed, and the time difference between Australia and Spain is 11 hours. I am available at night Spanish time 10pm Australian time 9am. , I don’t know if you can sit at the PC at that approximate time.

4 Likes