We were promised a January launch, we are at the end of July and we don't know what is going on

I know. I already wanted to react on OP, but decided to let it go. And now even an opposite opinion is doing the same. Undercutting his just frustration on the perceived promise the OP apparently experiences. The use of ‘we’ is obscuring the argument. Please understand the difference. Nothing personal.

2 Likes

Thanks for summing it up.

2 Likes

@Slava: you won’t get more than Xunshu’s updates from Pimax here, so no point for you to keep hanging around the forum then if you don’t care about those updates. Not meaning to be dismissive but your’s is not the first and will not be the last post to demand indepth updates which we will not receive. If you want to have reliable updates only, I seriously suggest to wait for all or the majority of the beta testers say that that they believe it is good to go. Indeed Pimax themselves seem to have believed occasionally in the last couple of months that the 8K is ready while it transpired that it was not there yet, so you should not be waiting for them to announce it but for the beta testers to say it’s good enough. That will be the day when you can start hoping for production & delivery to really kick off, not any day earlier.

1 Like

Yes, we as “the backers”. I do represent all backers when I say we because that’s what it means.

Thanks for clarifying.

Indeed. We were not promised a January launch. We were promised a December (2017) launch. During the Kickstarter campaign they were saying there is no risk involving the 8K headset because it is already functional. They said they started the Kickstarter campaign just to see how much interest there is for the 8K. Maybe you forgot all these details of their campaign but I didn’t.

2 Likes

I remember the kickstarter, and they never gave anything but estimations, and yes, there is no risk still, the headset is produced.

Also this is what the kickstarter page said the 21st of september

No promise of delivery anywhere.

2 Likes

negative. When the Kickstarter went live it said January when you chose your pledge amount.

The confusion was caused by a graphic that was not updated(missed) (pic below - Source KS)

There was NO PROMISE not to be condescending ESTIMATED is not promise.

Pledges page. As you csn clearly see when you chose a package it says Estimated Jan 2018

As you can clearly see no Promise or wording indicated.

1 Like

I’ve stayed away from thinking about the Pimax for quite some time, and only just thought to check in on how things are going. Funnily enough at the start of the KS campaign I remember people were wanting massive design change implementations as if Pimax were on track to meet targets and be able to incorporate user wishlists.

I used basic intuition to assume that it would take about a year to get the Pimax 8k and possibly 1.5-2yrs for the 8KX.The truth is for me anything earlier was pure hope. This is why I decided to order both the 8k and 8KX.
I figure that by the time the 8KX comes out we may have reached a graphics card 2 generations away from a 1080ti…which to me works out pretty well.

That being said, where I agree that Pimax made no promises… I do think that had Pimax been more generous with their target date allocations, a lot of the angst and expectation might have been avoided. However, knowing that they are behind schedule, probably also pushes them to work harder to achieve their goal. I personally am not overly worried about this I’ve kickstarted plenty and probably 90% of the things I’ve backed have been grossly late…My expectations were well tamed before I gave away my money. For those that feel otherwise, it might be a learning lesson in patience and funding kickstarter campaigns in general.

5 Likes

They mentioned a possible December 2017 launch in videos and interviews. I know what I’m talking about.

At least now you are starting to.

Possible is not a promise. It is a possibility not a guarantee.

Ks Page under pledge amount Estimsted, Possible, etc. What 1 of these words was confused with promise? None of the above words means anything even remotely close to promise.

in terms “estimation” is more stronger as “promise”, so far as I know. and estimation on main project page (dec 2017) has primary priority for the product described on that page in that context.
but in fact, people just want to know current state and real plans(with dates) for near future. for me personally would be also interested what Pimax doing to prevent known issues in future.

Well. Airplanes have all schedules to arrive. It is called ETA: Estimated time of arrival. Of course those estimated times are just a guideline as everything can happen that prevents the ETA to materialize.

The Pimax 8K is not on time. The ETA has been delayed. Just like an airplane.

1 Like

well, when where the new estimation like for an airplane?

It may be a language thing but I can assure that “estimation” in no shape or form has anything to do with “promise”. An estimation is just a best guess based on information known at the time the “estimation” is given. It is subject to change. A promise is a guarantee which you will never get from any company developing a new product.

1 Like

TBD: To be determined. Yet.
It looks like there is going to be an announcement they cannot yet reveal.

1 Like

I suspect that an announcement would be like “…we had shipped the next final product candidate to beta tester, stay tuned”

Are you clairvoyant?

will see some in some days :wink: I would very happy if they will provide any date for something real…

1 Like

You’re welcome. This is something I do, for walls of text that I actually want to understand. I break it up and summarize it for myself and then post it as a service to others.

3 Likes