We were promised a January launch, we are at the end of July and we don't know what is going on

We were promised a January launch and we are at the end of July. We need to know the real reason why it is not launched yet. If nobody would have discovered the 80 Hz issue, I think we wouldn’t have never been informed by Pimax about it. I think Pimax has more serious issues that keeps them from launching the 8K. I think the new lens introduced more issues than it fixed. They tried to use more then 80% of the screen with the new lens, but it introduces significant distortions and warping, at least according to the leak. This new lens is a merge between two lenses and I can’t imagine that there is no discontinuity of the image where these two lenses meet. When you think that during the Kickstarter they were optimistic that it might be possible to start delivering in December 2017, well, we are now virtually in august and we are being asked about what scent we want, what color is good for the business version, what games we play. All these questions would make sense if we already had a headset in our hands. I think they are just trying to divert the attention from the fact that it’s almost august and we still don’t know when we will see it in our hands. If I remember well it was planned to have the NDA for 2 weeks, but it’s now more than a month already and we have no information about any progress/regress in this time. MRTV and SweViver clearly stated that they will be very critic with their evaluation and will not give their green light until they are satisfied with the quality of the headset. On the other hand SweViver (and also VoodooDee I believe) said that the leak was old and those issues are mostly fixed. If this is the case, then what keeps them from giving the green light ? The fact that they have to test hundreds of VR games ? Seriously ? If some games need software tweaking why not do it through software updates. Maybe some of us only want to use the headset for VR180 videos, or for VR cinema. Why should we wait until hundreds of games are optimized if most of us won’t even touch those games ? There will be plenty of time for optimizations in the coming weeks/months and prepare some software updates for them. It is impossible to release a perfect software product at launch, otherwise there would be no software updates, but it is indeed impossible to launch a buggy hardware product which cannot be improved/corrected after launch. So I think the real reason why we don’t see any serious update is because there are serious hardware/optics issues. Remember when the 80 Hz refresh rate issue was first discovered by a guy testing the headset. They knew that the refresh rate was not 90 Hz and they kept it a secret until someone discovered it. Now I think the testers discovered serious issues and they will not give the green light anytime soon, which is fair enough. But Pimax can take advantage of having testers by saying to us that they are very busy optimizing hundreds of games for testers, or that some testers did not gave the green light yet etc. It is becoming more and more frustrating to see no real progress updates. If this new lens introduces image warping across the entire FOV it is crap. I remember that this warping was the most immersion breaker factor in Oculus Rift, until we were told to adjust the headset in the right position. So I think that what they did since SveViver and MRTV went to Amsterdam to test the Pimax 8K was to introduce this new lens, and I think this is the reason we have these delays. In the Kickstarter campaign they said the headset is ready and that they only launched the campaign to see how many people would be interested. It’s clear now that the headset is not ready and I’m afraid we were told lies just like hundreds of other Kickstarter campaigns did. Even if they eventually launch it until the end of the year, by that time other headsets (CV2) will probably be announced and will likely dwarf Pimax 8K specs (refresh rate, screen type, lenses etc.). So disappointed…

Edit: TL;DR: We need to know why the Pimax 8K hasn’t launched yet. The new lenses must have introduced more issues than it fixed. I think there are serious hardware/optics issues. It is becoming more and more frustrating to see no real progress updates. By the time it’s launched, other headsets (CV2) will probably be announced and will likely dwarf Pimax 8K specs.

So disappointed…

12 Likes

Holy wall of text batman. Can we get some new lines, they don’t cost extra?

19 Likes

Wowsers. The boy can type. TL;DR

4 Likes

Componet shortages as was said. As for Oculus & such don’t be worried. They are targeting tge larger market. Not the high end (see vive pro).

Estimated does not equal promise.

5 Likes

@flobv
I’m sorry … but I have a tired sight.
My eye doctor does not recommend me to read so much.

4 Likes

Here, I’ve dewallified it…

[quote=“flobv, post:1, topic:7205, full:true”]
We were promised a January launch and we are at the end of July. We need to know the real reason why it is not launched yet.

If nobody would have discovered the 80 Hz issue, I think we wouldn’t have never been informed by Pimax about it. I think Pimax has more serious issues that keeps them from launching the 8K.

I think the new lens introduced more issues than it fixed. They tried to use more then 80% of the screen with the new lens, but it introduces significant distortions and warping, at least according to the leak. This new lens is a merge between two lenses and I can’t imagine that there is no discontinuity of the image where these two lenses meet.

When you think that during the Kickstarter they were optimistic that it might be possible to start delivering in December 2017, well, we are now virtually in august and we are being asked about what scent we want, what color is good for the business version, what games we play. All these questions would make sense if we already had a headset in our hands.

I think they are just trying to divert the attention from the fact that it’s almost august and we still don’t know when we will see it in our hands. If I remember well it was planned to have the NDA for 2 weeks, but it’s now more than a month already and we have no information about any progress/regress in this time.

MRTV and SweViver clearly stated that they will be very critic with their evaluation and will not give their green light until they are satisfied with the quality of the headset. On the other hand SweViver (and also VoodooDee I believe) said that the leak was old and those issues are mostly fixed. If this is the case, then what keeps them from giving the green light ? The fact that they have to test hundreds of VR games ? Seriously ? If some games need software tweaking why not do it through software updates.

Maybe some of us only want to use the headset for VR180 videos, or for VR cinema. Why should we wait until hundreds of games are optimized if most of us won’t even touch those games ? There will be plenty of time for optimizations in the coming weeks/months and prepare some software updates for them.

It is impossible to release a perfect software product at launch, otherwise there would be no software updates, but it is indeed impossible to launch a buggy hardware product which cannot be improved/corrected after launch.

So I think the real reason why we don’t see any serious update is because there are serious hardware/optics issues. Remember when the 80 Hz refresh rate issue was first discovered by a guy testing the headset. They knew that the refresh rate was not 90 Hz and they kept it a secret until someone discovered it. Now I think the testers discovered serious issues and they will not give the green light anytime soon, which is fair enough. But Pimax can take advantage of having testers by saying to us that they are very busy optimizing hundreds of games for testers, or that some testers did not gave the green light yet etc.

It is becoming more and more frustrating to see no real progress updates. If this new lens introduces image warping across the entire FOV it is crap. I remember that this warping was the most immersion breaker factor in Oculus Rift, until we were told to adjust the headset in the right position. So I think that what they did since SveViver and MRTV went to Amsterdam to test the Pimax 8K was to introduce this new lens, and I think this is the reason we have these delays.

In the Kickstarter campaign they said the headset is ready and that they only launched the campaign to see how many people would be interested. It’s clear now that the headset is not ready and I’m afraid we were told lies just like hundreds of other Kickstarter campaigns did.

Even if they eventually launch it until the end of the year, by that time other headsets (CV2) will probably be announced and will likely dwarf Pimax 8K specs (refresh rate, screen type, lenses etc.). So disappointed…[/quote]

TL;DR: We need to know why the Pimax 8K hasn’t launched yet. The new lenses must have introduced more issues than it fixed. I think there are serious hardware/optics issues. It is becoming more and more frustrating to see no real progress updates. By the time it’s launched, other headsets (CV2) will probably be announced and will likely dwarf Pimax 8K specs.

So disappointed…

15 Likes

I long ago gave up hope that the main VR manufacturers will introduce a product like the 8K on their own. They are trying to get VR out to the masses, which means cheap headsets with lousy specs. I think it will be over a year before anyone else has a consumer headset with similar specs to the 8K.

Yes, the wait is frustrating. Welcome to Kickstarter… At least it does look like we will get a product (that’s never guaranteed) and it’s looking likely that it will even be a good headset.

7 Likes

I’m not reading all that, but I feel you.

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

MY EYES AHHHHH (Please press enter once in a while ffs)

2 Likes

Can you point out where in the Kickstarter Pimax said the HMD was ready please…

3 Likes

The savage critiques of post length. You just turned this guy from fuming to limit break.

1 Like

It’s society’s fault.

1 Like

Well actually the CEO told tested last October the hardware was locked down and ready to manufacture so it has dragged out a while

October? Link please & name of the tester.

3 Likes

Sorry *tested. Norm from tested

1 Like

Ah will have to rewatch the video. But Norm or his partner didn’t seem all that invested from what I recall.

I think it’s possible that was Pimax’s thinking at the time. Then they got a massive infusion of cash and decided that the headset could be a lot better (than they were initially planning).

1 Like

Hope your right and it’s not been about cost cutting

@flobv: Things surely didn‘t pan out as they (and we) exactly expected. Indeed, in case you missed it, they are in delay. Working to fix issues with a pre-production unit dubbed M1 they had allegedly hoped to be the gold master, but a group of 10 backers/Youtubers/a tech journalist were given the device to test it and found a number of issues to address prior to launch.
So yes, expect further delays before we eventually will see delivery.

And no, don‘t expect the competition to announce a better gen 2 headset by the time the 8K is delivered, it seems everybody is taking their time to solve issues and probably wait until the available GPUs can handle such next gen headset. Given the latter possibly foveated rendering is a must for a next gen headset (beyond 8K) in order to allow it to run well on a 1180 or its successor generation of GPU.

2 Likes

Finally just realised where you got your avatar from. Watching pixels with my 6 year old :smile:

1 Like