We were promised a January launch, we are at the end of July and we don't know what is going on

You even provide a TL;DR as well, and we all thank you for doing this. Well… I thank you, I don’t speak for anyone else.

2 Likes

Pimax cannot give you any “release date” as long as we are not finished with the beta phase. Work is in progress and no more info can be shared by testers. I admit Pimax could have been more specific and maybe share the current state of progress a bit more in-deep with the backers, but its not my company and we all need to respect that the Pimax team is making all big decisions and announcements upon their business model.

In the end, the Kickstarter pledge money is just a small portion of the total money invested by investors into this project, and there are probably strict rules coming “from the top” about the public announcements. Probably. Im just guessing here. And we just need to accept that fact.

I assume this product would have been released sooner or later even if no Kickstarter campaign was created. They already had investors, and a company long before with a previous product already in mass production. Kickstarter was there to see the potential of the market. And it clearly showed that a wide FOV headset has a huge amount of interested people. And that probably helped them to get some more publicity. Its simple business. So I would not call this “the typical KS campaign made by 2 guys in a garage with a 50/50 chance to fail or be 2 years delayed”. Its definitely not.

If I wasnt a tester, I would have just waited for a release date or a big announcement. Just like I did since october last year. There is no point creating daily new posts about your anger and disappointment caused by the delays, and include assumptions in the posts that creates even more drama and worries than needed. This clearly WON’T help or speed up anything, it will NOT make Pimax to rush things more - and it will definitely not give us a better product in the end.

Pimax will release this product once we have all agreed its fully ready for a consumer release, which of course includes the release to all of us backers. 5000 backers didnt pay for an “almost ready” beta product. People expect it to work in every single way from day 1. Otherwise it will fail. You know that already. There are thousands of people out there waiting to give this device a very bad review, for obvious reasons.

I think personally Pimax is doing everything they can to avoid releasing “another Pimax 4K” which was - and still today is - in kind of a “early access” stage. And while the 8K will for sure get loads of updates after the release, at least they are aiming to give us a ready-to-use unit from start. And we hope thats possible.

I know we all hate waiting. I personally hate waiting. Life is not about waiting. And despite the fact I’m sitting here with the m1, my biggest wish is that the 8K was released today. Or yesterday. Because the sooner its released the faster we will see wireless adapters, better head straps, controllers etc.

All Im saying is that nobody is keeping this beta phase on-hold for no reason. The reason is simple. Its not fully ready yet, even if we are getting closer and closer for every update. As simple as that…

21 Likes

It’s Kickstarter. Not Amazon.

What is the different is Kickstarter sell dreams striding on a horse named hope.

Not actually a product.

Yes i really want my 8k. But I also suspect theyvjave been low balling performance requirements.
I honestly don’t believe we would have a home computer capable of driving the 8kx at high fps and moderate settings for <$6000 in the next five years.

To run the 8k in serious games at high settings I suspect we are still two generations out.
So 10 series Intel with 1280ti type gpu.
That saying if they can squeeze the performance put of these.
We are approaching a point in chip design already that we would need to go bigger rather than smaller.

I’m not entertaining comments about foveated rendering will help or not, fact of the matter is. Foveated rendering doesn’t exist in the world yet and a lot of games doesn’t support variable resolution even.

Yes maybe in a year or two it will. And I would welcome it.

But we aren’t really in any rush here.
Sure I want it tomorrow if they are ready bit I need them to be ready.

Pimax is the ones under pressure.
They need to push their sets and build a good reputation preferably six months before Oculus is ready with gen 2.
But by all guesses, even if they don’t launch until Christmas that would be in hand.

3 Likes

Thanks for believing in this product. Keeps up my spirit :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We are not five years away, but to even run today’s simple VR games on a NATIVE 2x4K future headset without downsampling (Im not talking about the 8K here), we need way more gpu power than we have today, indeed.

Also, every single VR headset currently on the market runs a much higher resolution than its native panels has, for many technical reasons (asynch reprojection, corrections etc) . So running native 4K is definitely higher than 3840x2160 per eye. I think some people may forget that part.

4 Likes

Give me 8k and a wireless adapter now and five years can take all the time it needs. This is why I’m so content on waiting. I’d be more concerned if this was rushed out the door. Once ready, I believe we’ll have a sufficient headset(dying for wireless though) that will keep us occupied for quite a long time.

3 Likes

so, a company which is not “2 guys in a garage” and “had investors, and a company long before” delegate QA pipeline and decision to start production to youtubers (nothing personal) randomly piked from forum.
Company which is " is doing everything they can to avoid releasing “another Pimax 4K” " had started close beta with product quality far beyond any worse expectation just because they do not applied any simply test prior shipping, and three weeks late reporting that no obstacles to start production.
that sounds really scary.

@SweViver
I thing questions below not affected your agreement with Pimax, would you please clarify;

• do you have issues tracking system ?
  • do Pimax performs engineering analysis for each issue you found?
  • do Pimax created test suite to cover all issues you found?

I wouldn’t expect much of an answer from SweViver. Those questions are the sort which are probably covered by NDA.

5 Likes

It is at this point not the testing that are getting people in a knot. At the point when time is slipping, the company has gone mute about the progress.

Also, how long has it been since we were told the 8k was in the production phase ?

You’ll have to wait & see what Pimax’s update entails this week.

The only amswer we could give is that issues found by testers are being addressed. And I know that’s not the answer you would like.

The founder’s update has been clarified a few times now. It simply meant all componets are in place to start once tge green light is given.

Since Pimax stated Testers have a say as to when it’s green lit. A date would only be a best guess like the kickstarter possible ship date.

I get all that, and I’m fine with the waiting, I just think the info blackout was a bad move. I think most people would be fine with waiting if they have at least some sense of progress. Thankfully we’re getting an update this week.

1 Like

OK, I can provide some updates then… :laughing:

Recent issues found by testers have been addressed.
More issues found by testers have been addressed.
Even more issues found by testers have been addressed.
Some more issues found by testers have been addressed.
Lots more issues found by testers are being addressed.

Next week: A few more issues found by testers have been addressed.

4 Likes

Thanks Xunshu… oh it’s you, sneaky neal_white_iii you sound just like Xunshu!

(no offense @deletedpimaxrep1, just having a bit of fun)

1 Like

There has been updates just not what you want to hear.

3 Likes

Well, this is your way of seeing things. Im sorry, Im not interested in speculating about how Pimax is running their business, thats totally up to Pimax and not my problem, neither yours. As long as they eventually provide a working product then Im a happy man.

I cannot tell you any thing about details of the testing, but one thing is for sure, and that is my tracking has been flawless since day one, which it MUST be, as it is (in my opinion) a mandatory feature that needs to work 100% and a base requirement for a new VR headset running with current gen Lighthouse. Anything else would have been a fail. Its common sense.
Of course Pimax has engineers who analyses, improves and fixes issues. The development of this headset is way more complex than you may think, and again, an engineer degree and proper laboratory equipment is a base requirement for this task. Again, this is not a garage project.
All issues we are pointing out and all suggestions we are giving, are being covered and addressed one by one. Thats quite obvious. Thats the main purpose of this beta phase, or have I missed something?

13 Likes

Considering the community hasn’t been able to handle even the slightest negative news I don’t understand how Pimax are supposed to give us anything other than very short and relatively useless updates. At this point all we can do is wait and I don’t see the value of complaining about it.

2 Likes

That is excellent news. :+1: I’m relieved that tracking is “flawless”, given that there were previous complaints about it.

5 Likes

Yeah sure. But have the latest tester issues been addressed yet?
And I already heard there were some tester issues that were not addressed! Shame on you testers!
We’ll address those lack of addressing soon enough. Just after addressing the newly addressed issues issued by the testers. Except for @SweViver of course. Because he is to busy testing all the addressed addressings on his testingresults being addressed. Well? What has mister @Heliosurge has to say about that?

1 Like

Well life would have been so much easier if every problem would go away by just addressing the base issues. Unfortunately, there’s more into life…

1 Like