We can replace the metal hinge in 8KX for free if you have the needs!

This thread has at least 2 (I think) 3D printing files, as well as a lot of discussion about the hinges:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/8k-x-modular-audio-strap-mas-is-ergonomically-horrible-can-we-diy-fix-it/30609?u=neal_white_iii

Here’s a link to the post with the most recent file…
https://community.openmr.ai/t/8k-x-modular-audio-strap-mas-is-ergonomically-horrible-can-we-diy-fix-it/30609/321?u=neal_white_iii

1 Like

Order: SO4834
Thanks.

I got the 8KX today, just started playing around it.

I am a little disappointed, as I feared it is far more comfortable to swivel the rear clamp further down than the metal bracket allows and the face foam provided is not thick enough.

Not sure which face foam I got, it is around 10mm thick and it was the only one (came attached to the HMD). I am assuming it is the thinner one.

My ipd is around 67mm, my face is narrow as is the back of my skull.

The optimal positioning (given the swivel’s limited traverse angle) for the best clarity I could get with minimal distortion (at least to a point where it was not very distracting) was to loosen the head strap as much as possible then set the rear clamp to the top of my skull such that the front of the HMD angles downwards resting on my nose and I would have the rear ratchet very loosely tightened. (tightening it increases the concentric ring distortion as I move my head to a very distracting level)

IPD range of 64~68 was fine in that position when looking at distant objects. (I am content with setting it to my IPD of 67mm as I don’t notice any difference within that range) One eye one would be slightly blurred due to the canting but my brain filters it out in that IPD range and position when looking with both eyes.

However this is not comfortable as the nose gasket puts pressure on my nose. The HMD is a little wobbly as well since there is not enough pressure from the face foam on the sides to hold it nice and steady to maintain the optimal position.

It is far more comfortable and sturdy for me to lower the rear clamp further down against the stem of my skull which would provide better pressure distribution, however doing so tilts the front of the HMD upwards significantly and since it is limited by the swivel’s metal bracket design I cannot depress it further.

Please send me a thicker face foam and the plastic brackets with my DAS accessory order SO5113.

2 Likes

SO 4757 thick foam and plastic hinges please

SO10248
Plastic hinge pre-installed and metal hinge included too please

SO6341

plastic hinge and foam for me too, maybe you can ship it together with my replacement cable

Could you please send me the plastic hinges and the thick face foam (that should have been in the box)
Upgrade Order # SO5046

Please send the thick foam and plastic hinges with my DMAS - SO5216.

Please include both plastic and metal in my order please and make sure both thicknesses of foam are included too… order# SO10540 thank you

I’d like to have both the plastic and metal hinge, please. SO10519

Is there any plans of updating the metal hinge so it works correctly and sending those out instead? I’m assuming you guys switched to the metal one because the plastic hinge had some flaws with it.

If not, my order number is SO10056. I’d like to get both the plastic and metal hinges just in case the plastic one breaks. Also I would like the thick foam.

2 Likes

so 4685 plastic hingle please…

PimaxUSA mentioned somewhere else that the hinges were supposed to be plastic because the stiffer metal hinges were stressing other parts of the strap. No idea why people are getting metal hinges

1 Like

Seems to be another mis-communication. Guess the message didn’t quite make it to the production/assembly lines? I.e. somebody forgot to swap the box of metal hinges out with the one with plastic hinges?

EDIT: It’s probably the same guy/gal that was supposed to put another box of foam pieces there? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

plastic and metal hinge, please. SO10255

My 8KX order KS_1426 has already arrived. My strap is not flexible and I only got one 12 mm foam.
Please send the plastic hinge and the other foam together with my eye tracking order that has yet to be shipped: SO18568

My 8KX order-# is KS_3074 and I need the plastic hinges and the thick face foam. Possibly ship with SO6532. Since I requested the thick face foam already before and even payed extra for it and they still couldn´t manage to send it to me, I really wonder if this is going to work out…

Order: SO5038 send me plastic hingle please. THX

1 Like

Pimax, ffs, I flagged this 8 months ago! :confounded:

So, yeah, you’ll have to send extra hinges to me too. SO4681

https://community.openmr.ai/t/nyc-meetup-venue-and-gaming-pcs-for-sunday/25239/48?u=staffanstuff

edit: Holla, @DrWilken, you were the only one liking my post back then.

4 Likes

[P127123] could you please add the plastic hinge to my eyetracker order. I have an 8KX.