USB 3.0 Eye Tracking Module Setup

They should stop sending blasphemous cables like this. This is the way - follow the standards, don’t try to undermine them. * shame, shame gif here *

2 Likes

I did not know it is a proprietary cable. That sucks and makes it impractical. I don’t want to butcher the original cable witout having one spare.

Yeah, even better. 2020

Really hard to say at this point.

Indeed the biggest clear advert that isn’t so.

5 Likes

Recent tests and info on 8kX and Droolon Pi from @chuan_l on r/reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/io4uwu/backer_1815_pimax_8k_x_usb_controller_breakdown/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

4 Likes

Luckily even tho I was within the 2nd batch of people to purchase the eye tracking they never actually shipped it out to me. Just got the refund accepted for the eye-tracking unit. I have a 5k+ and running that 5m cable isn’t really an option for my setup so I guess I’ll just live without eye-tracking.

It’s a huge shame that all this information about the USB connectors in the headsets didn’t come to light until after everyone had already ordered the units. Seems pretty scummy if you ask me.

Anyway, just glad I could get the refund.

7 Likes

shame, im not even sure if refunding would be worth it for me now because i’m betting Pimax won’t pay the shipping and would add a bogus restocking fee

1 Like

USB 3 requires new connectors which include two extra pairs of data lines in order to achieve a higher bandwidth.

No Pimax headset can achieve USB 3 with the current cables. Also, if the connector on the HMD end does not include the extra data lines, there will never be a USB 3 cable upgrade. Would be interesting to disassemble a 8kX to see if there are any USB 3 data lines from the hub to unused pins on the connector.

The 8kX does have the proper connector for usb 3. The 8kX internal hub has been verified to have usb 3.

The earlier headsets only have usb connector cable on the pc connection side.

1 Like

Oh, that’s cool. I thought there was only one cable that was used for all the Pimax HMDs, at least there’s only one you can buy at the store, and it says its compatible with the 8kX. I hope I get a USB 3 compatible cable when I get my 8kX.

2 Likes

Sounds like yet another website mistake. The 8kX uses a usb cable for power. Where as the earlier models requires a 12v wall adapter.

3 Likes

Hi, PimaxUSA. You don’t understand that 30 hz is not enough for many of us. I don’t move a lot my eyes and it is annoying that kind of delay. You can talk about all degrees you want. We should have a good solution from Pimax and, at least, a cable for this.
And if we are going to connect our eye tracking to the computer it would have been nice to be the conector on the left so we don’t have to bend the cable a lot of degrees.

3 Likes

So i wasn’t Sure whether to post this in a face padding topic.
Last night I set up the eye tracking for the 1st time on my 5K plus and I had to cut the Piece from the gasket as we all know.
I have a 70 mm IPD so I had to cut the hole wider, so that The cable would stretch far enough

Anyway I got that installed I can see 2 problems…

1. As someone mentioned elsewhere the magnetic rings are not very strong I can easily see that if I have to connector USB C cable to the right side and I Tug it the eyepiece will probably pop up during gameplay, Because at 17 mm it’s already being stretched to its maximum and seems to want to raise.

2. The 2nd problem is the face Foam. I’ve been following other threads about this topic, but the face foam that comes with The 5K plus has the eye glasses cut out, normally I don’t have a problem with this at all, However the eye tracking module has extremly glossy surface and When I put it on to my face its like seenimg a reflection of an open window on one of those super glossy samsung tv screens. Its basically ususable.

I put my fingers over the slots in the foam and everything became pitch black again.

I think i can cut out some foam from another package and glue it in there or use a piece of velcro or I can try another face mask from one of my other headsets.

I have not yet actually done anything other than install it into the hmd. Truth is I didnt evem want to install this into the 5k because I can already tell that the USBGATE is an real problem for standup games

Even now im not entjusiastic about having to complete the installation knowing the experience will be subpar.

But i figured it was good prep, for when the 8kX eventually arrives,(who knows when)

P.S. A proper guide on how to install to the 5k+ would be nice, also I had the idea of wishing for extra metal frames so I could install it to both headsets.

It isn’t as easy as would hope though since it has to go under the gasket for some reason.

4 Likes

Today an extra pair of metal/sponge frames for eye-tracker installation arrived at my home from pimax.

Seems that the sponge is thicker than on the ones I received with the eye-tracker package.

Anyone else received another pair?
As I have not demanded them by support, maybe it should have gone to someone else?
Maybe the fixation is better with these. But I doubt because it depends on the strength of the magnets in the modules, not necessarily on the different thickness of the sponge beneath the metal… or do I miss something here?

6 Likes

if you have the metal hinges you can get a set of the original plastic hinges for free, they allow the strap to come down further on the back and should let the headset rest more comfortable on your face.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/we-can-replace-the-metal-hinge-for-free-if-you-have-the-needs/30680

4 Likes

How did you get those i’ve been asking for a while but nobody said anything about them sending out any.

Also I finally tried eye tracking today. i did not install any firmware because mine was showing up as Drrolon in device manager already

I have it plugged into the top 5k+ slot and the eyetracking calibration detected my eyes pretty much perfectly

but now that i’ve done that, how do i activate it per game?

does it do it automatically? if so that seems like a bad idea if i dont want to use it for a particular game because of bugs.

2 Likes

Same, I need a pair for the X whenever it arrives.

Hmm, I mentioned I wanted a replacement pair in the survey, maybe you did too? But I haven’t received any extra frames yet for my eye-tracking (and haven’t asked for it either other than the survey)

I hope I get them too :slight_smile:

1 Like

AFAIK if you activate FFR with an active eye-tracker it uses DFR. If you turn FFR in pitools off eye-tracking is also off

3 Likes