USB 3.0 Eye Tracking Module Setup

I can’t remember :crazy_face: Probably that’s the case.

1 Like

i don’t have an rtx card yet, but as i understood it there’s an ffr setting somewhere in the pitool that activates dfr for games that supports it, when you have the eyetracker.
Other than dfr games will have to support eyetracking for more functionality and there’s not a lot of those out there.

1 Like

ok kind of makes a little sense. Wikl this work in PE as well?

1 Like

As PE is just an VR-“Overlay” for Pitools, yes. I mean the settings. DFR in PE probably makes no sense. But @SweViver could answer that.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Hand Tracking Module progress

Seemed like a good time to split into a new topic.

I got them also a couple days ago. Never filled out the survey as I did not install the ET yet after reading about it here.

2 Likes

I am still using ET on my 5K+ at just 30hz. A good way to test it is SteamVR Home.
If you have Foveated Rendering set to agressive this leads to a pretty small area that is actually sharp (works perfectly fine for Half Life Alyx but definatly not for SteamVR Home).
When you look outside to the trees you can see where the sharp part stops easily because the renderer does remove some of the leafs of the tree.

This is useful for two things:

1. you can check if eye tracking actually works.
  2. you can see the speed it works at.

My conclusion is that it tracks my eyes very well. It does not lag behind a second like some people wrote here. It follows my eyes in realtime. Yes it may run at 30hz but I bought ET for DFR and that it does. I wont buy a USB 3.0 cable. I have no need.

You may keep your pitchforks in hand because we got been lied to once again but DFR works to my satisfaction. Just so you know.

7 Likes

I think a lot can depend upon the usb 3 socket used on the motherboard by the pimax , other peripherals plugged in etc

Sorry to interrupt.

RE: Rotating USB-C at headset end to switch USB speeds.

I wonder if you might know if this means 8K-X owners with Eyetracking module who don’t have/want the hand tracking module, no longer need to buy a 5m USB 3.0 extension cable (pictured at the start of this thread by Pimax Quorra) to directly connect to the PC when using Eyetracking?

Instead, 8K-X owners using Eyetracking with lag issues simply rotate the USB-C short cable connector 180 degrees (the link provided in the Eyetracking box reaching down to the bottom USB-C socket), but only if our reported Hz speed is shown to be too slow and the Eyetracking is performing badly?

I ask because in the Oculus link 5m cable advertised, it mentions a ‘reversible connector’ at the USB-C end also.

Thanks.

My understanding after reading the several threads on this is that the ET should work in optimal way when connected to the USB port of the 8kX. As long as Pimax ships with the bad cable people will need to experiment which way is USB3.

From what I can understand at the moment there is a problem with the drivers for the 8kX, so the ET doesn’t really work in optimal way, but this is been worked on.

In short - you don’t need an extension cable with the X, the port should be good enough.

2 Likes

SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!! But I think a bad one.
I asked 7invensun about the 120hz in the 8kx and this is the answer:

Because the 8KX interface is not a standard 3.0 interface, when eye tracking is connected to the headset with 3.0, it may cause the headset to crash. But it can run stably at 30Hz (2.0)

It is not a standard 3.0 interface!! So if we don’t connect to the pc with a usb3 cable we don’t get the 120hz.

Again bad policy from Pimax. Give all the information you have about this product in relation to 5k+, 8k+, 8kx. We don’t need to become private investigators to find out what’s happening with our eyetracking and how to use it best as it should from factory.

We are still waiting for an apology from Pimax about this issue.

More:
5K+ can be connected to the computer from the side interface through a standard 3.0 cable. But make sure that the interface on the front of Pi1 is not fully inserted. Because we set the front interface as the highest priority according to Pimax’s needs.

So we need to pull out a little the eyetracking to be able to use the side interface. Amazing!!!

4 Likes

Well, we the original backers of the 8K and 5K(+) don’t even have USB3 to begin with. So you have it better than us. :stuck_out_tongue:
You also missed the 8K in your listing. :stuck_out_tongue:

And we don’t need an apology, we need a working solution free of charge, to get to the standard that was advertised.

5 Likes

This seems to match, PimaxUSA is talking about “driver problems”.
Did you ask them why are they using non-standard cables?

Thank you for the information, it makes sense now :smile:

i got a ground loop that way and had a pretty loud humming noise in the sound system of the hmd that way, i needed to isolate the usb-c front and used the plastic cap that came within the package with the eye tracking module

2 Likes

If it is not a standard usb 3 then Driver fixes might not be able to resolve pimax not following the standard when implemented using a usb 3 controller. These issues would have been worked out if the KS 8k and 5k+ had been built to advertised specifications.

Driver fixes is unlikely to fix it if it is hardwired issue.

4 Likes

How do I get the eye tracking to work in game? I connected it to my pc with 3.0 usb cable. I calibrated it and that seems to be working. But It doesn’t seem to work in game. Does it only work with certain games? If so how do I know which ones?

You can from my understanding only get some dfr working if the game supports certain rtx features.

How do I know which games support this?

1 Like

If you have an RTX 20series card and FFR works then DFR should also work.

2 Likes