USB 3.0 Eye Tracking Module Setup

btw if someone wants to restart calibration, just press the “S” key
that way you can place or move the headset and start over without removing it

maybe space or return might be better a better choice, easier to find with the headset in use

4 Likes

has anyone but @SweViver confirmed any positive results?

Will the fiber optic cable planned by Pimax help anything here?

3 Likes

haha can you repeat this over in the 3080 discussion thread . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you are only answering one of all statements and questions in this thread, did you really have to pick this one? There is a lot of inclarity about K5+ and USB2/3, eye tracking without and with hand tracking, even K5+ end of life speculations because of it. Could you or anyone else in Pimax make things clear please? We’re struggling with this.

2 Likes

maybe he is a very busy coo and can therefore not answer every question, but only the most important ones that the wheel keep running.

Just an update. my cable arrived, connected it up went from literally 0 hz to 120 hz

Completed calibration fine , with one small note that the angle that the headset needs to sit on on your face for it to centre correctly is set up for someone who has either cheeks way further forward than me, because getting it to correctly calibrate means angling the headset in such a way that a large light gap is produced at bottom. will plug this by cannibalising a spare foam when my backer box arrives.

2 Likes

Did anyone try this with success so far? Seems much more elegant than using a second cable if a very small and light weight USB 3.0 Hub can be found.

I’ll give it a go with this one:

I’ll strip the case away if it works. Shouldn’t be much more than 20 grams then.

2 Likes

Oooo Oh do let us know how it works out ^-^

Is this possible?
To use, peel off the original wire from the headset side,
Find the wire corresponding to USB 3.0 cut it, and connect it with the input wire of the hub, Should I connect the cut wire from the headset side to the output terminal of the hub?
(Can Google Translator translate well…)

It is expected that 3.0 will not work even if you connect the hub directly to the main body without modifying the wire.

I don’t understand the idea. Is it about the 8kX? Because for the other headsets where do you get the USB3 on the headset side? Because the cable is proprietary the idea was that Pimax can integrate a small hub in the strap so the cable from the PC can be plugged there.

So after contacting support and being busy with life for a couple of weeks i checked this forum to find that Pimax knew that the USB hub inside the 8kX is the problem? Is Pimax kidding me?

Support even contacted 7veninsun support and someone from them contacted me directly. What a mess!

Today i connected different usc-c cables i had laying around (quest cable also) to try and check the throughput.

The original quest cable (seems to be USB 2.0 only) has similar bandwidth/ same problem than with the hmd connection. Calibrating simply does not work.

Also a charging cable of the index controllers seems to be USB 2.0 only.

But after connecting the (very) short cable that comes with the eye-tracker directly to my USB-C port of my 2080ti, the eye-tracker worked and i saw the red spots in the calibration software.

Pimax must really solve that USB mess asap. Either with an free USB cable for every buyer of the eye-tracking module, or by giving us a new HMD cable with integrated new flawless usb connection.

I just do not want to spend more money in buying a link cable from amazon. i am really dissapointed by that chaos company.

5 Likes

Ask the coo, he is responsible for ensuring that everyone does their job properly. This is what coo means for me!

2 Likes

I do not wish to have sent a 5meter USB-C cable as a workaround.
I fully expect the Eye Tracking module to work as advertised when I connect it to my 8Kx when it arrives and firmwares have been updated, bumps have been ironed out.

5 Likes

link cable works well , but nearly as thick as the pimax cable , and will maybe need a small hub on the end if we want to run hand tracking ( without compromise ) simultaneously

1 Like

tried again, and yes, it works. Did try first on the mainboard usb-c and that didn´t work. But connected with the usb-c on my 2080ti i could start the calibration. Seems to be not really precise. The green dot is never directly on the red/white circles. Just in that area. Even aften four times calibration…

2 Likes

I don’t think the current position of Pimax is that the USB hub in the X can create problems.
But it turned out they ship the ET with a non-standard cable that only supports USB3 when plugged in on way and limits things to USB2 when plugged the other way. Speaking of the connectors, not the cable itself. This was confirmed by other users also - rotating the connectors of the cable will switch between USB 2 and 3.

Pimax at least should put a marker on the connectors of the cable to visuialize correct orientation and include that in the setup guide.

1 Like

so if i rotate the short cable on the HMD it works?

This is my understanding.