USB 3.0 Eye Tracking Module Setup

**USB 3.0 Eye Tracking Module Setup **
For All Pimax Headsets

Special Note: We are developing a comprehensive eye tracking module guide that answers ALL known questions and should have that ready for download within a few days. We also have new versions of the software as a high priority for the two teams who are working on this.

Installation Steps:
1.Use a USB 3.0 compatible data cable and insert it into the USB-C port located on the side port of your Eye Tracking Module and the USB port into a USB 3.0 or better port on your PC as shown below.

Follow these steps to TEST your Eye Tracking Module:

To test if the Eye Tracking module is operating in USB 3.0 mode just follow these steps:
(please exit all eye tracking software like Pitool before performing this test)

1.Please download and install the Eye Tracking Measurement Tool (AMCAP) here: https://amcap.en.softonic.com/

2.Open AMCAP and select the drop-down menu called “Options” as shown in the photo below.
3.Select 120 frame rate and 640*480 resolution.
4.If 118 FPS appears in the lower left corner this means that the eye tracking is working in USB3.0 mode.
Troubleshooting: If 118 FPS does not appear please make certain you are connected to a USB 3.0 compatible port on your PC and using a high quality USB 3.0 cable.

Additional Notes:

Here are some cables that can be used for the Eye Tracking module
(preliminary list)
Currently Tested Cables:

Sincerely,
Your Pimax Team.

9 Likes

Any projection when the module will become available again? I reallaly would like to add and see it included with my pending order(s) :wink:

So, the Eye Tracking doesn’t work without a PC at 120Hz?

31 more dollars to have a decent eye tracking with less delay!!! Why do we have to pay for this? I think this is not fair.
Pimax should have given more information about this issue before people bought the eye tracker.
How do we know this is going to work better? Is there any people who have tried?

9 Likes

from numbers 30Hz might be good enough when the software (rendering pipeline) can translate that refresh rate and all works as “planned”
reference would be a nvidia pdf file about eye tracking that assumes 30-70ms latency as ok

it might be also advisable to use a blurring filter for the rendered picture when rendering in lower resolution to minimize distracting effects (pimax dev’s ?) - default steam home environment look horrible because of missing blurring filter when using FFR/DFR and it did not seem to work properly with the new (higher) rate - all the picture was low res with some flickering (with my 5k+)

the method above is ok to check for proper usb3 connection and could also be checked when running the calibration and checking the UserSDK.log for
EyeTracking camera = 0, rate = 118
slow eyeType = 1, idx = 1, rate = 118, average time = 1599, has fd = 0, no fd = 118

latest amcap-9-23-build-300-6 did not work on my win10 system (1909) but a older exe file provided by 7invensun worked flawless (测帧Amcap_.exe - Google Drive), when in shows 120Hz when choosing 640x480 then its in optimal configuration

it seems to be sensitive to what port and cable is used, a “normal” 3m usb-c cable only reached 30Hz @640x480 but a high quality (usb 3.1 gen2, 1.5m) cable did it on my system, 120Hz (or 118Hz in UserSDK.log) @640x480

i was not able to use this “external” connected configuration in steamvr (with pitools) yet but i will try if it does after a reboot

edit: on 5k+ the eye tracking module uses the “forward” facing usb connector (upper usb port on 5k+) when connected, i had to add a mechanical “spacer” between headset and module to prevent that and to use the side usb port with usb3

edit2: a spacer is not enough, got a ground loop because of still existing connection, used the plastic cap that came with the unit to isolate the usb-c plug of the unit
also the “external” connected eye tracking worked fine with pitool and steam vr after rebooting and recalibrating, now i will have to wait for a longer cable

2 Likes

I doubt it. A value of 50Hz is considered low, Tobii has 250Hz, for example. In addition, it will also affect the FOV, as the eye will move faster to cover more distance in the same time.

To be fair, Tobii and other eyetrackers are designed to follow Microsaccades, which isn’t needed for this kind of use-case. Nonetheless 30Hz seems really slow for tracking eye movement.

4 Likes

Can you explain what you mean by “31 more dollars”?

Is there a new version of Eyetracking being sold that is $31 more than the version Kickstarter backers purchased in July/August?

Thanks.

I think they’re referencing having to buy a $31 cable to make the eye tracking work as advertised

5 Likes

i’d be more concerned of that flimsy eyetracking usbport now having to stretch across the room instead of the the hmd as we all expected.

3 Likes

That isn’t at all a very good comparison. All sorts of reasons but Tobi is behind the lens so it has complex lens correction calcs that must occur before the position analysis. It’s also much further away from the eye. It has an entirely different set of considerations.

Once again I suggest you test it for yourself instead of speculation. With many games regular gameplay is such where you don’t wildly move your eye from side to side so 30Hz per eye does make it hard to see the edges. At 118Hz it’s basically impossible to outrun it with your eye.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. :slight_smile:

1 Like

there are cheaper offers as quest cable, i ordered a 8m bundle for 25€ (5m + 3m with repeater aka hub) that is supposed to work for the quest

1 Like

One of the members of a group I belong to managed to get the eye tracking to work, but complains about a rather slow response.
I’ve left him a message to comment on it.
Of course I’ll test it, when it arrives.

4 Likes

To confirm, do we need a 5GBps cable (USB-A 3.0 to USB-C) which Pimax Quorrra linked above which is a 5Gbps Oculus link cable, or is it best to try and source a 10 Gbps cable (USB-A 3.1 to USB-C)?

I tried to find what you suggested (USB-A 3.1) and wasn’t successful in anything over 2m.

Thank you.

1 Like

a 3.1 gen2 cable needs to have batter quality then 3.1 gen 1 (aka 3.0), it was simply the best cable i had around and a “simple” (cheap) 3m usb-c cable did not work with full speed, same for a 2m 3.0 cable
i stopped messing around after the 4th cable and just used the cable that worked for testing
i hope the 8m quest bundle does work as promised (quest does need 5Gbit to work properly)

2 Likes

Is there a reason why the 8kx USB-C port wasn’t made with 3.0? I feel people who bought the 8kx, did so as they didn’t want to compromise on quality.

An additional cable to the PC is not ideal, we’re wanting to reduce those not increase them.

EDIT: seeing @PimaxUSA’s reply on the ET Hz thread. Does it mean the 8kx does have the usb 3 but it’s not working due a driver issue? But even when fixed it will not be as good as a direct PC connection?

If these are correct, how close will it get to the performance of the direct PC connection when driver issues are resolved?

1 Like

The cable should be included as the Headsets are not able to run the ET as advertised. Due to 5k and 8k not being built to Advertised specs from the KS(stated usb 3 interface, but released as usb 2 only). And the 8kX usb 3 port not performing either as advertised.

This essentially makes the modular modules wonky as the headsets cannot properly support modules; save things like the cancelled fans.

9 Likes

Why is it then that 7invensun Vive implementation seems to work better?

A DeV I have been having a discussion with whom has 8kX commented on 7invensun getting it right on Vive version.

3 Likes

The 8KX has a USB 3.0 port and it does operate that way. Multiple parts communicate over it though so the ET competes with other parts in sometimes complex ways. So connecting directly to a USB 3 will perform better even after it is fully optimized.

1 Like