Eye Tracking Poll

Are you running the cable directly to your usb3 on your pc or running it through the headset itself? What are your settings in the eye tracking See software?

1 Like

Connected to the headset using a short USB 3 cable (not the one provided)… :wink:

It’s been a long time, but when I tested it in the AMCap software there were no difference between running it connected like that and though a dedicated USB 3 cable so I of course opted for the “cleaner” version.

Didn’t know there were any settings to be made/changed in the software?

it would be easier for everyone if somebody from the salespeople would really help out. everything that has been said and written about eyetracker, firmware, software is, from my point of view, to be described as misleading at best.

1 Like

Connect directly to your usb3 port on the pc then use amcap to set refresh to max. It’s vastly faster that way. 7invensun improved the usb integration directly with the headset but the transfer is usb2 and sharing with other data flow.

Hopefully the poll demonstrates to development team more improvements are required.

2 Likes

I’ll try it out. Thanks… :+1:

1 Like

OK, so I just checked and I was using the (Pimax) supplied cable which is not capable of running 640x480@120Hz, but I am able to using a 3rd party cable and a 90 degree angle adapter I bought to try it out a while back. A cable that is indeed connected to the headset’s USB-C port and not directly to the PC.

Not quite sure why I went back to the original cable, but I believe it was (as mentioned) because there weren’t any difference for me at that time (both could only reach 60Hz on 640x480).

I never thought that AMCap made any changes to the eye module or 7invensun config, but only looked at it as a 3rd party tool to test the framerate of the module.

I’ll give it a spin to see if I can spot any difference.

EDIT

OK, that worked wonders! :slight_smile:

I had to double-check that I was actually using aggressive DFR when trying it in SkyrimVR.

I can see the borders/outer rings if I’m looking for them but it’s nowhere near what I’ve experienced before (which makes sense if they move fast enough for You to not be focusing on them and it seems like they do for me now).

Just to make absolutely sure I tried with aggressive DFR on and completely off and don’t think I would notice the difference when being immersed (and not checking for it), but the latency went from 7.7-8.0 ms (aggressive) to ~10-13ms (off) same place/scene/savegame just standing there turning around… :+1:

I need to update my replies in the poll it seems… :slight_smile:

Disclaimer: Not sure how/why it works if it’s not supposed to work when connected to the USB-C port on the headset but it does as You can tell by the screenshots.

This is the cable and 90 angle adapter I’m using and it’s not perfectly flush (it’s a tad too long like a few cm) it’s not in the way:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000480900010.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dktHjJv

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32955539826.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dktHjJv

EDIT - 2021-08-14: Ended up using this cable instead as it looks/fits nicer without the adapter (“left/right”/30cm):
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMityVz

I don’t see why other good USB 3.x cables shouldn’t work too (especially at that short length).

The official guide is here (difference being that suggests a dedicated eye-tracking to PC USB 3 cable):
https://community.openmr.ai/t/usb-3-0-eye-tracking-module-setup/30514

BTW - Not sure where the guide that’s mentioned is:

EDIT:

Maybe this is it?

https://support.pimax.com/en/support/solutions/articles/60000676699-eye-tracking-manual

There’s a .docx attached.

3 Likes

What latency are you talking of and how do you measure it?

1 Like

GPU Frametime in fpsVR as far as I remember.

That’s awesome. Looks like your DFR performance is ~30-40% which is in the quite useful range. Both updates to the software and docs are still needed but at least this shows the sort of thing that can be achieved.

1 Like

So the frame times were shorter with DFR on?

1 Like

Jup… :+1::upside_down_face:

Yes, I also noticed this. You basically get a higher possible frame rate due to lower GPU load. No wonders as part of the scene is rendered in lower quality.

If only the experience wasn’t so bad overall. I went back to FFR. I can just forget that this is enabled due to how little it compromises my experience. With DFR I could not.

1 Like

That’s exactly the idea with Foveated Rendering.

With the ET module running at 120 Hz I feel the opposite way.

FFR is a lot more distracting than DFR to me as I can always see the rings.

As mentioned I have to look for it to notice that there are areas that are not clear now (which makes sense if/when the tracking moves fast enough).

1 Like

No, I know. I just wanted to understand what you are getting at with latency. And I wanted to clarify that frame time is not latency, although often related to to some extent. In this specific case there is latency of translation and rotation of the headset and of the controllers, also of grip gestures and button presses, and of course then the latency of the eye tracking “input”, which I felt was more in the order of multiple hundreds of milliseconds. This was one reason why I could not “unsee” the sharp area lagging behind.

1 Like

Guys, what is the current status for somebody who hasn‘t really followed it in the past year: if I have the ET module and an 8KX.
How well or not does the mounting in the headset work by now, how finnicky is it, how stable once mounted ?
How reliable and simple is the calibration, which I understand is required every single time you use the headset ?
And, the million dollar question - once every of these hurdles is overcome: how well does DFR work (looking at the last posts above DrWilken seems to be quite pleased while PeterParker isn‘t).
And, here comes the two million dollar question: which apps, games are supported ?

3 Likes

Ah, I see… :+1::upside_down_face:

I felt the same way when running 60Hz, but on 120Hz I feel like it’s fast enough.

This is caused by the tracker losing your pupil, who knows why a step wasnt implemented to notify you that the runtime has lost one of your pupils instead of just crashing…

2 Likes

Please improve the SDK, I am a software developer and working with it is so awkward and confusing. Adding more demos for use with C# would help too.

2 Likes

1 Like

For me, completely stable. It’s popped out of the magnetic mounts a few times but only when wiping the lenses for example.

I have done it once, a long time ago and the config is saved so no need to redo.

In the first version of aSeeVR I had to redo every time.

To me, it works very well on 120Hz. 60 was/is annoying/underwhelming as there isn’t much, if any, benefits compared to FFR (which I don’t like as the rings are too obvious to me).

That’s maybe the biggest downside. There’s a lot of games it doesn’t work in.

So far, I’m not sure what’s the requirement as it seems to be a wide mix of new and old games that work. Sadly, one of the games that need it the most IMO, Project Cars 2, doesn’t work.

Generally, any game where FFR works will work with DFR.

Bonus info: The ET module lenses introduces glare. Not a lot but it’s there so keep that in mind if You hate glare as that’s one thing that Pimax lenses are know to not suffer from.

2 Likes