[Unscientific Poll] Would you recommend Pimax to friends and family?

I would agree, but pimax is now selling to non backers I.E. anyone who has money.
The FOV and the resolution is awesome and no way would I go back to my OG vive. But man the software is buggy and the issues I’m having getting the image to feel right I’d say its not ready for prime time.

4 Likes

If you want trouble free VR, get the PSVR.

If you want the best but dont mind sometimes tinkering and bad customer service, get the Pimax.

Maybe here

3 Likes

I will change my vote from “yes” to “maybe”
While I can see the potential and the improvement from the previous “generation” of the VR headsets, this maybe is just not in there yet.

Disclaimer, my opinion may vary from day to day.

4 Likes

Ah if only you would have chosen the 5K+ instead, this nice 170 FOV would be yours now :wink:
I will be writing another review of my experience with my 5K+ shortly : I would not go back to the Samsung Odyssey + even if I found the SDE and colors remarkable 110 Degree FOV is not just enough for me now

But I can’t recommend Pimax has a company now because of the support and defect rate. But my recommendation if you have a 1500$+GPU budget keep an eye on Pimax

4 Likes

I don’t think the poll itself is unfair; just the timing of it with so many improvements in the company that are taking place.

However, your point about the 5K+/8K now being a full retail product is a very good one and I agree that all the tech and support issues should’ve been solved before releasing the product to the wider public. Poor old Joe Bloggs is in for a shock if he expects a reasonably expected professional level of service when he buys his state-of-the-art VR headset.

1 Like

Pre-orders are open so we can’t say that it’s unfair to have this poll now, it’s hard yes, but like in professional sports it’s not the intend that important but the results.

Also main concern except support : light Houses and controllers are not available! so until then I can’t honestly recommend those products except for a small minority of die hard enthusiast

2 Likes

Maybe for me too, i have flickering silver pixels(waiting for replacement cable) i think tbe colours arnt too clever, it hurts my nose, its flimsy ,but the Fov is great even in normal mode, i havnt used it really since getting it because of the silver particle problem.
So maybe yea

1 Like

I would like to offer an opinion but I passed away last week from anticipation.

6 Likes

Please redirect @dogbite parcels to M.I 6 :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Absolutely not. I have 2 unanswered PimaxSupport emails, Supen 1974 that was closed for no reason, and private messages to @PimaxUSA and @matthew.xu all of which have gone unanswered. Communication is non-existent with Pimax. How could I recommend a company that refuses to even acknowledge me?

4 Likes

I did, but changed my mind and went back to the 8K (once). I’d rather wait for a quality unit, than get a defective headset and have to return it.

While I am getting a bit impatient, I’ll be happy, if the headset is good. I know what a Kickstarter is like. This one is better than many of them. My biggest fears were that the headsets would never actually ship or that they would be junk. Neither seems to be the case.

6 Likes

No worries :slight_smile:

It’s a genuine question, as I said I love my Pimax.
Now it’s been up for a day I’m quite shocked at the results tbh.

2 Likes

Many thanks for all the responses :+1:

To add a little more clarity on the recommending part… I work in IT and my co-workers (obviously) and a lot of my friends work in IT also. Quite a lot of them are 2D hardcore PC gamers and then try an Oculus Go/PSVR etc etc and love it and decide they want to get into PC VR. Now all these people have generally built their own PC’s and have IT backgrounds so are tech savvy. I would defo not recommend non-techie people get a Pimax, it’s 100% not ready for joe bloggs right now.

7 Likes

Agreed. It’s hard to recommend a Pimax, until you can get the base stations, controllers, and deluxe headstrap with earphones too.

4 Likes

I know it seems to be Valve dragging everyone back, but that base station supply failure is a huge issue, a complete screwup.
Immediately stops the Pimax being something I would recommend to 2/3 of possible owners for now, before even considering if they need a stable software environment.

1 Like

I have been a software developer, worked in industrial automation, been an avid PC game player since I was 14 when I built my first PC. I couldn’t recommend it to anyone right now, as far as I can see it simply doesn’t work, there are major issues with the software, possibly with the hardware and the complete inability of the soft strap to hold the headset in a position that makes the headset usable is a complete deal breaker for me. If I could go back in time and advise myself not to bother I would. I have a slim hope that the software might improve and the backer rewards will improve the situation, but from where I’m sitting now it looks like its going to be at least a year before we even start getting those.

5 Likes

Don’t even know if it’s really a screw up or lack of effort from valve. The vive pro was announced one year ago. If I don’t go conspiracy theory I think the allocation lot is simply to costly for pimax to afford now. Maybe someone is not ready to open the valves :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would not recommend it as a first headset to somebody who has never owned an HMD, but i would recommend it as an upgrade.
While I do consider it the best headset on the market right now, it requires some VR experience on the side of the user.

The 3 most important steps for Pimax to make it noob-friendly from my point of view are:

• DAS-like strap that would allow to try and use different HMD positions/angles on the head
  • Shipping with 2 or 3 cushions of different thickness
  • Somehow making it so changing settings in PiTool doesn’t requite manual restart of SteamVR

However for an existing VR users I would recommend it. And for “VR enthusiasts” I believe it is simply “must have”.

5 Likes

Please kindly give me other factors that make me don’t want to introduce pimax to your friend.(The more weakness we resolved,the more confidence our backers have)

We want our backers feel confidence about pimax whenever their friends talk about VR

11 Likes

First question, we have highlighting this requirement already,i discuss with relevant cooleague several time for solving this issue(But i can not release the progress before received permission,i will release details in the near future)

The second question we have accepted this advice,we will sale face foam and cable in amazon for backers to purchase accessories much more easily.(we plan to send several face foam in pimax package for backers to chose )

The third question,we are working on this(we will release in pitool version after QA test,i have several meeting with relevant colleague for solving issues or suggestions from backers)

8 Likes