[Unscientific Poll] Would you recommend Pimax to friends and family?

I don’t think you need to apologize. I’m interested in the poll, so I’ll leave the thread unlocked. If things get bad, someone (maybe me) will take appropriate action.

5 Likes

I do agree when working its a great bit of kit and is my goto headset but they need a lot more staff and better customer service,while i accept there busy no reply in over 2 weeks and false promises will not be accepted by retail customers

1 Like

It’s just not ready for prime time until all components are available and software fixed. Great headset for enthusiasts maybe.

3 Likes

I have to be honest with myself, I voted no.

It’s not because of pimax wasn’t a good hmd, quite the contrary it is the best hmd on market right at this moment. There might be some issues with quality control, that is ok, totally understandable for early batches of a bleeding edge product, as long as we are being looked after well.

But the issues is really with how we are treated, to be honest I was all recommending pimax right until the recent rma change where I was lead to believe a replacement was on it’s way but in reality it has not even been dispatched of this day. The feeling I had was i am betrayed. Turns out during all this time I thought I was being looked after and the communication was just a stall tactic. All I needed was just a reason why it could be delayed or why rma method has changed and I could easily accepted that.

I cannot wholeheartedly recommend pimax right at this very moment simply because I believe a truthful relationship is not mutual, and based on this I will have to say no to avoid disappointment WHEN THINGS GO WRONG.

7 Likes

I voted maybe.
It depends and what friends, some will understand that it’s still early and first of his kind and others might not.
My guess is that Pimax are well aware of the issues and are working hard on it.
Seeing that video on round table with Kevin gave me more confidence regarding what Pimax can and try achieve.
So atm i will stay with a maybe.

2 Likes

I’m in the maybe camp… it really depends on the person who I would be recommending a VR unit for. What doesn’t exist today is… one VR HMD for the masses. Each VR headset (as I own several) have pro’s and con’s so which VR I would recommend depends on the person who would be using it. How tech savy they are, what they plan on doing in VR, their PC specs, etc…

If the person isn’t tech savy and just wants to dabble in VR… no, I wouldn’t recommend Pimax. At least not yet anyway if ever as that depends how Pimax develops over time.

If the person is tech savy, has a really good PC rig and loves SIMs… PIMAX is the way to go!

4 Likes

I’m in the maybe camp.

I would recommend people try before they buy it to see if they get eye strain. The IPD settings definitely needs adjusting and I hope Pimax recognise the problem and are working on a solution.

For me personally I’m really enjoying my headset. Project Cars 2 looks fantastic.

But for anyone who needs to spend £699 on the headset then £100 on the audio strap and trapped into buying HTC base stations and controllers it’s a tough sell - if at the end of the day they feel the eye strain, distortions are too bad or they get VR sick.

It’s an enthusiast headset for sure.

3 Likes

I put maybe for maybe i will get one eventually (still no tracking info)
Lots to go in the no column but i really do believe they are trying to improve but lack experience baby hire a few more older more worldly people to make more improvements.
Yes column is the headset itself but i still need to try before i comment there

1 Like

its not just pimax, i would never recommend any unstable product to family / friends… why? if it arrives broke they would think of me as their personal support person.

always go with the safe option if asked to recommend, the safest is “you don’t really need one of them” :smiley:

my wife thinks im a lunatic wrapping cables in tin foil. maybe she is right.

people often ask what laptop i would recommend, my wifes friends etc, they are not computer people. i always say the best laptop is the one that is easiest to take back if its broke. i recommend to them to buy from argos or some store that is equally mainstream, far less hassle.

3 Likes

no way I would recommend a product that is not high quality to an average user. it might look bad on me when they get a defective unit or not meeting their standard. I value my integrity :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry Tris, it sounded like you were doing this to send Pimax a message. Not a bad way to do it actually :slight_smile:

I thought it was unfair because the 8K range has only just become a retail product and as a consequence of its success Pimax are essentially in a transition phase as they expand and bring on more technical and support staff to deal with the increasing demand on their limited resources. The support is evidently pretty woeful atm as they play catch-up, so I’m sympathetic towards those who have issues but when the dust settles and they reach some sort of balance, I think it’ll be a fair question to ask.

2 Likes

No. They shipped preorders before all backers got theirs, they have been actively avoiding commenting on the 8k situation since they told us their little plan, and that is just the bad CS on top of the months of them lying previously. They clearly don’t care about their customers and because of that no recommendation. No amount of supposedly good hardware will make me deal with bad CS.

2 Likes

No. Currently, there are too many issues, I can’t even sign up for support and the initial response in the issue just makes me sigh. I have a box with a PiMax headset in that makes me physically ill when worn for a few minutes. It is either broken in a way I don’t understand or fundamentally flawed in a way my brain can’t cope with. There is no way I would inflict the combination of zero support and high chances of a broken headset and no real information on how to get it to fit properly on friends and family.

2 Likes

Of the current VR headsets available - Pimax is my only recommendation even if people are having issues, which is to be expected at this stage, it is by far the best product available at this point in time.

Even after over 20 years of first trialing VR and the tech developments that have progressed since then, VR is still in its early stages. There will be some big moves forward and I think Pimax has a good shot at being in the drivers seat for that.

I mean come on - MS Holo lense 2 with 70FOV and a paltry USD $3500 - give me a break.:face_vomiting:

2 Likes

I voted yes, but only for those who don’t get anxiety over delivery and RMA. For all others its still yes, but wait until its available on Amazon.

1 Like

Way too many issues to recommend the Pimax HMD’s to anyone.

I don’t think I’d recommend any VR headset at this stage though. I do have some hope that the new 2019 gen HMD’s with 2kx2k panels will be the first gen that I could recommend to people. SDE hopefully will then be a thing of the past and I think that there will be enough details in the distance, that the Odyssey+ for example lacks.

6 Likes

Short answer: Currently? No

Longer answer: If You have lots and lots of patience and You’re OK with ordering something online and then waiting for an unknown amount of days/weeks/months for even an update on the order, maybe… :slight_smile:

I would probably tell people to wait if they can. Maybe half a year or so or at least until an EU warehouse is up and running (or You can buy it through a partner/reseller).

2 Likes

Voted incorrectly. I would recommend.

1 Like

It is too broad question. For example if someone just wanted to taste VR I would recommend waiting for Oculus Quest (hopefully with Beat Saber bundle). No need to get into all the hassle with buffing up the PC, resolving all sorts of problems, tethering, lighthouses etc.

On the other hand, an enthusiast will probably know what he wants, and would not come to ask me :). But even if he did, I would recommend to wait a bit longer, to see what happens on the Valve front. I believe that if they release anything, it will be a major upgrade on its own and worthy waiting.

3 Likes

Voted yes, because i would be honest with them and tell them all my experiences so far. The good and the bad. Then they can decide by themself if they still want it or not…:sunglasses:

3 Likes