UnBoxing 8K+ and a mini review

Ahh, You just hit the wrong reply button? No problem… :wink:

I wouldn’t think so, unless it’s a really bad upscaler (and a better one in the 8KX) :slight_smile:

I would also expect the colors to be the same when using the same panel.

for example i see this post in the forum “I received my 8K+ yesterday and I’m under the shock.
I prefer my 5K+ all in.
This is not what I was expecting.
The Vision 8K+ is gonna be for sale.
The colors and brightness are better with my 5K+.
My RTX2080TI was enough powerful to supersample a lot with pitool and steamVR but even with that there is something with the image that still look a bit blurry.
The colors and brightness do not impress me at all no matter what contrast and brightness settings I tried with pitool.
My steamvr settings .txt file was set to 16384. ( Tried Pitool 1.0 + SteamVR 300% , Pitool 1.5 + SteamVr 150% )
Maybe I will wait for the next firmware to comes out with the110HZ mode to see if clarity and brightness will improve but otherwise I am disapointed.”

2 Likes

I understand Your fear, but it doesn’t make sense to me that it would be that bad when nobody else has mentioned it. Might be something wrong with that unit or some weird issue with PiTool and/or firmware?

4 Likes

i hope 8kx is to expensive to be worst than 5k+.

2 Likes

Fear not, both are better than 5k+ (ok about the X that’s a guess I havent tested)!
I do not think colors are worse. Actually they seem quite the same as the 5k+ to me, could be that the panel can pump out more light by a bit then the 5k+.
So to take your text

“I received my 8K+ yesteryesterday and I’m under a positiv shock.
I prefer my 8K+ all in over the 5k+.
This is what I was hoping ;-).
The Vision 8K+ is gonna stay, and the 5k+ is already parked.
The colors and brightness are better with my 8K+ but not much compared to 5k+ .
My RTX2080TI was truly never enough powerful to supersample a lot with pitool and steamVR but I just ran Alyx with 72hz all Ultra and 200SS in Steam and 1.0 in Pitool. There is something like a fine soft touche to the image but if you get the settings right, that is not really a problem, the less in SDE make up for it.
OLED colors impress me the most, but contrast and brightness are fine with the 8k+, you do get the typical LCD “glow” in a very dark scene, unless you turn down brightness in pitool quite a bit - which makes it very dark and hard to make out details in very dark areas.
My steamvr settings .txt file ist set to 16384 , tried Pitool 1.0 + SteamVR 200% with alyx.
the 72 ist just for performance on 1.0 and 100% 90hz is not a problem.
I am definitely not disappointed, because I knew what would be improved and what not (SDE mainly, a bit the screen and definitely the housing).

I did a small test, you might want to try it

there is an IC above the third heart it has a serial and number below that on the bottom line on it - what digits are it? (its like this XXX-XX).
I could read it, you have to place her hand an a wall or railing (something “steady”) and then go close like you would in real life. staring straight it was a bit harder, but focusing wit one eye it was readable.

11 Likes

@SweViver, @mirage335, @VoodooDE, @mixedrealityTV if you have Alyx, would you try reading the code/numbers on that gloves IC/Chip?

I will try to get a shot with my DSLR through the lens if possible, would be interesting to see an which Hmds it’s readable.

2 Likes

I tried to read it through the Odyssey + lens, but nothing came of it … :japanese_goblin:

Shot through the lens:

It’s amazing if this number can be read through 8K + or 8KX :pi_smiley:

4 Likes

I can read that on the index, that chip is upside down in that pic, AH-1180800WT i think, its harder to keep your head and hand still to see it.

3 Likes

My best shot ;-). Sorry was not able to get it 100% sharp - not a camera expert.

The Details are amazing - even the soldering is made irregular on the IC just before the big black chip - crazy

13 Likes

Woah that’s indeed SHARP!! Going to try it on the index …

5 Likes

I managed to take a better shot through the Odyssey + lens from a closer distance. And it turned out that you can also read the characters there :smiley: ( although a little vague.)

There the trick is that the hand spontaneously turns around if the face is close. And so a close-up shot is rather difficult.

But yes, the hand sits much stronger on the wall, now I understand.

5 Likes

LOL. I tried several times with the index but it’s HARD! You need to have your left hand steady with your left controller, then the headset on it and then a phone/cam on top of that and then get the angle, distance to lens position on the lens perfect and then hold everything steady, while your virtual hand should show the chip, haha. I couldn’t even get it as sharp as your odyssey+, while I know for a fact my index is (much) sharper than my oddyssey+

Ah yeah the trick probably is that you can get your virtual hand closer to the cam if you try long enough

1 Like

ha ha, yes, it’s not easy, but it’s possible.
I put Alyx’s virtual hand on the wall, and fixed the controller on the table, holding it between two objects :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Haha good one. But yeah I don’t really doubt that the 8k+ is sharper than the index, pretty sure it is. But it’s hard to make a good comparison for sure, so many factors involved

2 Likes

Another Option, if you are in steam home, you can add the Lap from Alyx, and the gloves are in there too in the “maschine”. That way you only would need to hold the HMD and the camera - 4 arms is enough then ;-).

1 Like

My Camera is getting old… I only have 2592x1728 resolution picture - yours is 4k?
I thing I need a new Camera… stumbled over a couple problems in these home office days.

I did a side my side on my monitor of <our and my pics… Interesting

1 Like

I took pictures on the camera of a regular android phone, which is already about 3 years old.
In general, yes, it is also necessary to upgrade, now there are much more interesting options with excellent cameras :+1:

1 Like

I tried my phones, but the DSLR still makes better pictures, I guess due to the better sensor and light area. Oh well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow you have a lot of resin . Time for a weapon upgrade :+1:

3 Likes

You know it never bothered me until now, but with how complex those gloves are I can’t believe there are so many thru-hole resistors :stuck_out_tongue:

Cool screenshots, I’ll have to take a look at my 5k+ tonight and see how much detail I can make out

2 Likes