UnBoxing 8K+ and a mini review

I wonder why its so obvious on a monitor for me, but not in the HMD… brain bug i guess :wink:

If you are interested in anything else, let me know - but I need to hit my bed now for a couple hours - some more home office and video conferencing coming up in the morning.

Stay safe!

2 Likes

I’m the kind of guy who doesn’t notice visual imperfections as much as my brother does who is a hardcore Overwatch gamer with 144Hz monitor and gaming mouse and big pad, etc.

One time on my Xbox One S, I was playing red dead redemption 2 and my brother pointed out areas where the resolution was lower than it would be on Xbox one X. I only noticed it because he pointed it out. RDR2 on my PC definitely looks a lot better on my 1440p monitor.

So I think I’m exactly the kind of guy who wouldn’t notice distortions in the 8K+ or 8K X, just like MReis.

2 Likes

Hello there, could you advise the firmware you are running?
I’m hanging out for the 110Hz to play on iracing…since we’re on lockdown with nothing much else to do
I have 255 and 90hz…
no sign of the 8k+ in the wild yet running 110hz

1 Like

Interestingly I am also very sensible to resolution and such artifacts and related matters on a monitor. Also I find the way Alyxs auto optimizes dynamically a pain on the Pimax HMD. FFR when it’s just at the edges is no problem with the large FOV for me, but alyx seems to missplace does optimizations on the pimax.
I am not sure if it’s so good now with current model that I don’t see geometry distortion or if it is MReis Brainwarp Tec. Correcting it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: - like I said, on my monitor that is extremely noticeable.

1 Like

I will check as soon as I am on the Maschine - but I also only have 90hz
Edit:

PiTool @ V2020.3.24
HMD @ V2.1.255.260

1 Like

Thanks for the update! I had a large feeling this is what Half Life Alyx was doing.

As ever with a Pimax headset. The devil is in the detail. Get it configured properly and it is much better than competitors. And the difference between an out of the box experience and a calibrated one is large. But it’s fiddly.

4 Likes

Hi have you tried this in the Alyx launcher?
-console -vconsole +vr_fidelity_level_auto 0
It disables dynamic resolution, it looks stunning here with my 8k+ where it was a bit blurred/smoothed before

6 Likes

I have 5K+ and 8K+, and 8K+ has more clarity (effective resolution) than 5K+. I tested them side by side with test patterns. 8K+ does have a “soft” feel due to upscaling but it looks clean and pleasant.

3 Likes

No, thanks for the hint!
I will try that tonight :slight_smile: .
I just had a quick walk through and setup last night.

1 Like

Yes, I noticed that with ACC and the Cockpit Lap time and Fuel text. Strange is that it seems to me that the sweetest spot is a bit more on the outer egde of the center then it was on the 5k+. So if I focus just with one eye and look a little bit e.g. to the left with the left eye its extremely sharp. Same with the right eye. I guess I need to set the HMD properly on my Face and find the true sweet spot. By Logic it sounds like the IPD is a bit to high. My IPD is in the lowest range and another 0.5 cm of moving the lenses closer would have been perfect for me - but they are almost together. But since I got it working on the 5k+ it should work here to. Also its just minimal but noticable difference its a very good picture.

Its absolutely a very good HMD with an awesome picture quality - in Alyx I just was more immersed right of the spot then before!

No problem :slight_smile:
i use Pitool at 1 and steamvr video ss 100% app ss at 200%.
I get better clarity on the 8k+ then the Pimax pitool preset. I get 55-72 fps(1080TI) and turn on smartsmoothing. It is not as fluend as real 72 fps but it’s worth it for me. The first game i can say it’s photorealistic

1 Like

Damn, I have a conference later on - I am dempted to try that right away :laughing:

2 Likes

Congrats and thanks for the review. Glad you’re enjoying it, conferences or not :grin:

2 Likes

Since the panels are smaller it makes sense if that also changes the alignment slightly, right?

I’m no expert but it makes sense to me as the center of the panels might not be at the same angle as before depending on how they placed them (center or towards the middle of the frame holding them)?

2 Likes

True that’s something I haven’t thought about… Logically there are a few options to go by (also depth ?) to use the same lenses as before.

1 Like

Exactly… :wink:

This and other mentions of the improved distortion profiles, even on old models, made me think maybe I should revisit “face pad/foam rolling” :smiley: I have a fair share of different (cheap) PU leather Vive face foam pieces and settled on a 22mm one, I think.

Maybe one of the thinner ones (I have 6mm, 10mm and and so on) actually suit me better now (on the 5K+)?

3 Likes

the colors of 8k+ are worst than 5k+? because if it is, 8kx has the same screens. i dont want to have something that its worst. i hope i see reviews of the 8kx before we receive. because if its so bad like the 8k+ i want a refund.

Huh? What makes You think so?

I have a 5K+ and an 8KX on pre-order, so I have no idea… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

im asking if the colors of 8k+ are worst than 5k+ , i see some people in this forum that said that was . but i dont wanted to ask to you sorry. i wanted to ask to @MReis .

pimax said that the screens of 8k+ are the same of the 8kx the diference its only the upscaler. so if 8k+ have worst colors , 8kx will have to. but i dont know if a upscaler change the colors of the screen.

2 Likes