Twack3rs Varjo VR-3 impressions

Not that I seen as of now, I have stopped mod tinkering on my headsets for some time

1 Like

I want, its always ignored but aspheric lenses cause more distortions, geometric instability and make ppl motion sick much more easily than fresnel lenses.
The other thing is whether fresnel lenses made properly - 2 good examples - Quest 2 min glare but not big FOV but totally ok, index ok FOV but more pronounced glare, both lenses have perfect clarity spot for me and are best ive seen in hmd.

on other hand psvr has good lenses but those are geo instable i easily can spot distortions, i would chose good fresnels but not bad ones as on all vives, pimaxes (big clarity spot but unequal across the picture, distortion issues but its more to canted displays problems), cv1, O+, reverbs g1/g2 very tiny clarity spots other issues

i like 8kx but cant play long with it, i get headaches as have issues with nerve system and its very sensitive to thingsvlike this, i play it 3 days by 8 hrs every day and then cant use vr for couple of days and i have 5 years of vr usage. On eg index i have no any issues with comfort and headache apart of neck muscles fatigue (12 hrs sessions as i work in vr as well)

1 Like

8 hour and 12 hour stints in VRā€¦my gawd! I would be dead.

I get nauseous after six minutes in hard bullet and have to lay down for an hour or two.
Im ok with teleportation movement and roomscale movementā€¦but floating walking via joystick tears me up fast!

But thats an improvement as I was getting nauseous after only three minutes a few days agoā€¦100% improvement in less than a week!

My Varjo is suppose to come this weekā€¦Ill let you know if I get more sick or less sick vs the G2.

Its gonna take me a long while to get my VR legsā€¦any tips / suggestions?

1 Like

@twack3r @VoodooDE @Heliosurge @VR-TECH

So, just had a thought. Since the OLED foveated display only activates at 6K SS, have any of you tried the AMD Steam FSR hack on it?

You should be able to fool steam VR into thinking its getting a ā€œ6kā€ supersampled input,thereby turning the OLED displays on, but actually feed it something much more manageable for your cards, without steam needing to recognize more than 2 panels.

If the foveated portion only works in Varjo demos you guys have a very expensive Vive Pro 2. Its worth trying.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a cool idea, will give it a go and report back!

1 Like

But the Varjo only supports Nvidia GPUs, do you mean using AMD Steam FSR hack on an Nvidia GPU? Not sure it would be compatible.

FSR works on both Nvidia and AMD Graphics cards. Unlike Dlss from Nvidia that uses proprietary hardware via tensor cores

1 Like

Amd has a lot of things that are open. FSR can work on pretty much most GPUs including Intel. I donā€™t recall exactly but from what I had read iirc it can be used I believe as far back as Amd 5000 series gpu with there Nvidia equivalents.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/a-better-ffr-using-fsr/36554?u=heliosurge

1 Like
2 Likes

Pimax looks like cv1 compared to the varjo VR 3 :sweat_smile: itā€™s crazy how much better the clarity and the colors are .

Donā€™t get mad Pimax but the statement is true that it looks like ā€™ Garbage :wastebasket:ā€™ . But only in comparison . When you donā€™t know how it actually should look like you get used to it . Remember when we where all happy with the cv1 :smiley:

4 Likes

The pics tbh are not good quality. @spamenigma in a different discussion demonstrated this with using a Samsung phone on his 8kX.

Ttl pics should be really avoided without a proper setup to capture it.

4 Likes

The Varjo VR 3 has been filmed with the same 'crappy 'phone , why then it was so sharp and beautiful :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: ?

Please just stop putting energy into making excuses , give us aspherical lenses for pimax instead :slightly_smiling_face:

We are all enthusiasts after all.

Btw I can confirm that the reverb G2 looks exactly like that through the lense since I got the G2 at home and I used the exact same test pattern as he did so I do believe these pics and footage 100% :ok_hand:

1 Like

The VR 3 does look much better in that video which it really should considering itā€™s price point. However what I see in my Pimax 8KX looks MUCH better than what it does in that video. I have no doubt that the VR-3 looks much better but the 8KX already looks very good also. What the VR 3 is really good for is providing a glimpse of what will hopefully come down to consumer level pricing in a few years.

2 Likes

Remember guys mrtv DOES NOT HAVE the final unit of the 8k X . So perhaps thatā€™s why it looked so bad .

BUT: ex Pimax 8k X (final unit ) owners also confirmed that it does look like a toy compared to that monster of an hmd (vr3) .

3800$ after all + subscription ^^

1 Like

As long he used the same capture device with same settings, theyā€™re comparable. It also aligns with the feedback from VR-3 owners, many of whom came from the G2 and still boast about the clarity and depth of picture of the VR-3. Both of things are present here.

1 Like

Not disputing the end result is that the varjo has so much better visuals. But with regards to ttl vid/imagesā€¦ it doesnā€™t take away the fact the 8kx is not a blurry mess like the vid is suggesting in 2nd ttl. Itā€™s still sharp!!

Sebā€™s ttl of the 8kx

My rushed example of a ttl with jamming my phone in and taking a quick pic to prove a point that even I could do better with a half arsed attempt and there is still a big room for improvement.

The reality is 8kx is a lot better than both ttl images showing there, I also positioned myself at the same distance as Seb, I checked when he looked left how far back he was and aligned myself the same.

Again, not disputing the order of clarity there, Iā€™m sure g2 is a bit clearer, and varjo even more so. Seen lots of feedback on that. Just saying the ttlā€™s are garbage as any form of evidence.

3 Likes

The point is : we canā€™t read the text with the 8k X ( line 8-11) as good as through the G2 ā€¦let alone the varjo VR 3 .

And the difference is shocking .

On the other hand we got an awesome fov with the Pimax hmds

There is also the matter of render resolution. Generous supersampling makes a lot better use of limited display resolution pixels.

But we can! or I can!! I can read line 8 to 11 on the 8kx in reality. yes Iā€™m pushing it a bit on the last line.

Again the ttl is giving a poor comparison.

2 Likes

I canā€™t read the line on the G2 already ( line 10 and 11 ) so itā€™s impossible you can with the 8k X

( I got 20/20 vision )

Perhaps you had supersampling which helps alot in these tests.

Itā€™s a shame mrtv didnā€™t show us the supersampling before each dive through the lense :roll_eyes: