Twack3rs Varjo VR-3 impressions

I am dealing with it as we speak. This could stop my purchase if true

1 Like

i think its true…but dont know it for sure

1 Like

So basically everyone is using the peripheral display all of this time. Essentially it would look even sharper if the bionic displays where in use. They will ask Varjo on the matter

1 Like

How would that even work? Wouldn’t there be a black gap in the middle where the central display is blocking the peripheral?

1 Like

The bionic panels are not an overlay over the peripheral panels. They are projected via mirrors if I read correctly. The Bionic display are located at the top. So essentially, if the bionic displays are not enabled you are just looking straight at the panels that constitute the peripheral visions. In other words the image should be even more mind blowing if the bionic panels are enabled.

3 Likes

Lol, sometimes Sebastian is terrible at communicating information. He said that If the computer is powerful enough the bionic display will power up. Huh? What? What decides when the bionic panels are enabled on steam vr? Are they disabled by the user, or a default by Varjo. This is confusing

3 Likes

I would guess that the problem is most likely in a way SteamVR works - it allows only two renders to be passed to the runtime by an app (for the left and right eye). There is no way to pass a render subregion at a higher res. So in order to up the resolution for the high-res displays, the app probably needs to render the whole image at this resolution, which simply might not be possible.

2 Likes

Yeah, I dont think is worth spending the money when the full potential of the headset is locked. Makes no sense. I will have to pass. I will revisit the purchase when the full resolution can be implemented

1 Like

I saw a Varjo rep gave some clarification on discord:

There is no way of disabling focus display
Its always on
It will require a lot of rework to make it work that way

always on, sure, but is it always rendering?

depends on what you mean
it will render, just not in the native resolution
in order for you to get native resolution there, you will need to run the whole game in very high resolution
steamvr thinks there are only 2 screens instead of 4
cause steamvr is dumb and doesnt take more than 2 screens

omg does steamvr not even have fixed foveated rendeirng?

not at this point

1 Like

That’s just sad. The high resolution OLED’s are not used? WOW.

Ok done some testing. The focus area switches on in steamVR if you crank up the resolution above a certain threshold. For example at 500%, so about 6k*6k the display is on. At 3k * 3k it is off

You can easily test it if you switch off that ‘adaptive focus area smoothing’ option to off in the options, then you’ll easily see the focus display’

The interesting thing is that even without the focus display panel the sharpness is awesome. In fact I think most of the times I used the headset with the panel switched off.

4 Likes

At a guess in the Varjo render line it might reprocess the image applying ss to the focus display.

Much like how StarVR does Quad port rendering dividing the render to 4 views.

Except that Varjo would be doing this in a form of hardware FFR to create a cropped image that is fed to the focus displays. As folks in this topic have said it is very gpu hungry.

The part where MRTV says they turn on if pc is strong enough. Is likely the Varjo software profiles your pc and if it has the cpu/gpu min requirements it will take the additional render step to feed the focus displays with the upscaled and sharpened image.

But would need of course some official answer to be sure.

1 Like

Basically you are playing with a 2880 x 2720 px per eye. Thats not all that much higher than the Vive Pro 2. Unfortunately for Vive, they messed up with their optics.

Can a 3090 render at 6k comfortably?

My Specs should do, 9900k, 3080ti, 64 GB Vengeance pro at 3200mhz, 970 Evo SSd

1 Like

This actually makes sense. For the lower render res the displays are not used as there is no difference in visual quality compared to the lower res displays. From certain res though the Varjo driver can upsample for the high res displays (and downsample for the lower res display) and make the difference. The render res does not have to necessarily totally match the physical pixels on the high res display, instead as long it surpasses the res of the low res displays, it is worth a shot.

4 Likes

The problem here is that SteamVR can’t deal with 2 panels, so the whole scene will be rendered at a way too high resolution if you want to render at the native focus display panel resolution. When I put steam at 5k * 5k the focus display is still off, but at 6k * 6k it flips on. I now notice it much better. There’s a slight color difference between the 2 panels and the normal panel still has some very slight SDE (and mura!), while the focus panel has no SDE at all, really none, nor any mura.

No way, most games are like a slide show at this resolution.

This obviously is another reason why this is not a gamer headset. I mean it’s an awesome headset but steamVR is just not made for it and until it can deal with 2 panels per eye, you will need a 4090 to really power this thing.

In my opinion they should make a gamer version and just leave out the focus display, sell this at a lower price because really, even without the focus panel everything is just so sharp. And yeah, I bet that if HTC had used better lenses, it actually might have come close to that (2448*2448 vs 2880 x 2720, it’s pretty close)

1 Like

Long story short - technology is not there yet. We need steamVR 2.0 and rtx 5090.

I said it before, it’s a waste of the money. Within 2 years there will be new kind of VR headset for gamers, with acceptable price range. Buying vr-3 now is like buying Bugatti but only using 2nd gear. Still amazing experience, just very overpriced.

4 Likes

That’s a fair statement. You’re paying a premium for one of the displays that you won’t be able to realistically use for gaming.

Having said that, if Varjo was to make a consumer headset without the focus display and all the other integrations, they could drop the price significantly and it would likely be at the top of the chart still. If they have consumer ambitions that’s the direction I’d drive towards.

3 Likes

I also now understand why I wasn’t blown away with the blacks and colors (even though they, like I said, they were very good if it was an LCD panel). And I just read the specs again, not sure how I missed it but only the focus area (which is turned off in SteamVR unless you use a crazy resolution) is OLED, the main screen is LCD! Still, for LCD it’s crazy good, but it’s not as good as OLED panels like the Vive Pro 1 or StarVR for example, which I had also noted above.

So yeah, VR3 for games just sounds like a VP2 with better lenses (although with quite a bit of distortion as a side result)

3 Likes

I don’t think the Vive Pro 2 with simply better lenses would fix all the visual problems with that headset including a tiny sweetspot.

1 Like

This is still holding me back,for the price with oled blacks and oled colors and less distortion i had bought it day one…But now i realy dont know… And offcourse also the subscription is holding me off.

3 Likes