Tracking latency or the "wobble" issue has been SOLVED

I don’t have time to search the forum right now, but others have reported a fix for the “wobble” (assuming it’s the same issue you are reporting in this thread). You must contact Pimax support and have them update some “special” firmware, which is not something a user can do. (It’s not part of the regular headset firmware.)

1 Like

I contacted Pimax and they did the whole remote desktop and checked my 8K. I had the latest version that was dated in for June. They flashed the firmware and I still see the issue. So not quite fixed yet.

4 Likes

Do you still notice this issue if you turn off the lighthouse ?

Yes I can see it with or without the lighthouses. That said I tend not to notice if I am just playing games.

3 Likes

The way I explain the world wobble issue is, if I move my head left, it’s as if the acceleration of my head is reported wrongly by the HMD and the world visually moves more quickly to the right than it should.

I received my replacement HMD today and the same issue is present…

1 Like

Is this still relevant?
I can feel the tracking latency too on my 8K!

@Doman.Chen can you help here and get my headset firmware updated?

Just do not want to create a separate topic.

I also have fluctuations in 8K.
I don’t know if everyone has it. But this is noticeably expressed in AssettoCorsa, and is also present to a small extent in SteamVR Home.
It feels like the space around you oscillates, twitches a little, smoothly. But does not leave, as with drift.

For example, when I drive a car, sometimes there is a feeling that the car beneath me fluctuations.

Attaching a video of what it looks like:

If you turn off tracking, even without it, there are minor fluctuations in the picture, but they have almost no effect on the process.

That is, the feeling that the picture in the headset itself is constantly marking time, fluctuates.
I compared with another headset “Lenovo Explorer”. And there the picture stands still, like a nail, there are no picture vibrations, like in 8K.
Can anyone confirm such fluctuations? Or do I have problems with 8K?

I also mentioned this in my 8K review.

1 Like

Could this be because of your steering wheel controller is sending some info while you static? Maybe adjust the dead zones in the controller config. How many inputs that can affect your VR world position do you have in your setup?

2 Likes

No, my steering wheel is not determined to affect these vibrations, I’m sure …(fanatec csl ps4)
I checked with another Lenovo Explorer headset. And there are no image oscillations in it at all, the picture does not move at all.

I have one HTC Vive station and that’s it.

2 Likes

As I can understand Lenovo is not using lighthouses. I would also try to move lighthouse, and use another USB port. To me it looks more like a tracking issue, because the camera move slightly back and forth, so it is not Pimax internal sensors as they are 3DoF. It may be also the LH sensors on the Pimax are under powered or there is an external noise affecting them.

1 Like

Yep only Valve, HTC, pimax, Xtal & if StarVR is released are the only ones to date using Valve tracking. LG seems to have quietly wondered off.

is your lighthouse bolted to the wall or just standing in a shelf
it can vibrate under some conditions that could give that kind of jitter

2 Likes

My lighthouse is in perfect order, it is securely mounted on the bracket.
I checked it without a bracket - I got the same vibrations.

But note, without a base station, without tracking, there are still minimal fluctuations. Just with tracking, they are stronger …
That is, these image vibrations are initially present in the headset itself in my opinion. (while the headset is stationary, of course)

2 Likes

anything magnetic near the headset like speakers, something that “fluctuates”
try moving the headset 2m away from the table (placed on a chair for a fixed position)

3 Likes

I’m seeing jitter on my 5K+. Just a little wobble seems worse when I just start up and get into a game then will stablize after a bit (or maybe I just get use to it)

2 Likes

Yes, I tried to do it. I disconnected the headphones from the headset, and set it at 2.5m from the PC still.
Everything remained the same.

I can still say one thing.
I used to have a Pimax 4K.
I always felt on him a strong gyro drift, the image was constantly leaving.
On any of the phones in the cardboard, I always had a strong drift of gyros.

Maybe some kind of gyros excitement happens here?
(at the same time I tried to drive a couple of laps with 8K without tracking, disconnecting the base station … Everything was in order, drift was not noticed by me.)

@DarkClown, Do you see a similar image shake that is on my video? :roll_eyes:

with the 5k+/8k the drift would be cured by the lighthouse
the inertial and magnetic sensor deliver a high data rate but will loose track of absolute position within a few seconds/minutes and the lighthouse signal “re-calibrates” the position in space ~50 times per second

4 Likes

It seems to me, because of this, are my image vibrations?
Maybe these fluctuations will pass when I have 2 lighthouses? (I have only 1 lighthouse so far).

1 Like

no, i dont think so, especially as the same wobble/jitter is present without LH
2nd LH will mainly improve about occlusion, there are effects of more precise location when using more then one but i have not heard from people with one LH that a strange wobble like yours is normal
if the same effect is to be seen without LH then its a problem with IMU sensors, if its external influence or some defect can be checked

easiest would be using a vive, it should suffer the same when its external influance
if some electromagnetic field is messing with the sensors then also a compass app on the phone should show signs of trouble or other apps like smart tools that try to use the sensors for a lot of other stuff and show a visualization
maybe its much easier to check with the phone and walking away (even some hundred meters) to check again

3 Likes

I tried as best I could. All the same, this nuance remains.
I guess I won’t be able to avoid it.
I’ll try in Project Cars 2. Maybe the situation will be better there.

Although it basically does not interfere. But nothing pleasant about it…

1 Like