THROUGH THE LENSES - HP Reverb G2 vs. Pimax 8KX!

In this video I will show you a through the lenses comparison between the HP Reverb G2 and the Pimax 8KX!

The comparisons were made in SteamVR Home, TestHMD (TESTHMD by knob2001), Half Life Alyx, and Pavlov.

Thanks for watching! Leave any thoughts you have in the comments below!

16 Likes

lol did you steal Tyriels music too? Well I guess it’s fair use.

Good quality though. I can tell that the G2 narrowly edges out the 8kx, but the 8kx is within a hair( A blonde hair) of the G2 with the benefit of extra FOV.

5 Likes

His music is from a free music website haha. I also felt it was the right fit for a through the lense video :wink:

I’m going to figure out a way to get both headsets to be in identical positions like Tyriel did in his videos. He is the king of TTL videos.

Yeah, I’m amazed by the details of both headsets. But what’s interesting is how the G2 is quite brighter than the 87 brightness on the 8KX while still maintaining full clarity and easy to read things. I really like that. If Pimax can fix the ghosting on their brightness firmware, I will probably prefer the 8KX more.

2 Likes

Yeah and apparently they decreased the brightness from the pre-production models.

Hey this guy has problems with his lenses on quest and he does something I’ve never seen anyone do before.

He was able to show imperfections in the fresnels by shining light over them. You can see the imperefections because the rings kind of break.

I wonder if anyone has done this with the Pimax lenses.

4 Likes

I’m picking up the Quest 2 tomorrow. I hope mine doesn’t have this issue.

1 Like

The one I had to try out was fine.
looks like it could be the vapors that come of the glue.

1 Like

Hairs breadth? Really?
To me there’s a really stark difference between the 2 and the G2 clearly wins by a country mile. And even turning up the brightness like this on Pimax introduces ghosting, hardly sounds like a winning compromise.

Good video dmel. Thanks.

1 Like

Ah there it is…the antivenom to my venom xD

1 Like

Dmel, have you tried captains deadalus color settings?

1 Like

we get it, you hate pimax.
move along

6 Likes

I just did -2 brightness and +1 contrast across all channels. I forgot what the green correction setting is.

As far as noticed, at least PiTool .086 doesn’t work properly with the individual colour correction: It doesn’t consider the colour-specific value additionally to the general all-channel-settings, but internally first reverts the all-channel-setting to “0” and then applies the colour-specific value.
Probably a bug, I cannot think this is intended on purpose.

Imho, the contrast and brightness slider GUI need an overhaul, i.e. all four sliders (all channels, blue, red, green) one below the other at the same time, so one can adjust them one by one, but having all of them in sight. Clicking “apply” then applies the setting as a whole at once without having to switch between the colour tabs and loosing context, both from user side as well from application side.
Just my two cents about it…

5 Likes

Good video. Btw I watch your content at 1.25x speed and really that makes it very fluid. Maybe record it normally and upload it at 1.25x default? See what type of feedback you get.

The G2 at 70% SS seems imperceptibly equal to 100% which is good news for many people. Not sure if you mentioned but did the edge distortion go up when you lowered the SS rate on the G2?

I noticed color bleeding on the Pimax also. Not sure if this due to the extra brightness or general design or being out of the sweet spot but in the motion part, you can easily see the colors bleeding into each other which would be distracting.

5 Likes

These are captain daedalus settings

Red:
Brightness: -4
Contrast +2
Blue:
Brightness: -5
Contrast +2
Green:
Contrast +2

4 Likes

Panel to panel variances makes taking other people’s settings a pretty bad idea. You’d want a calibrated screen as as reference point and then make adjustments on your unit to match perceptually where possible. Without being able to connect any calibration tools to the unit you have no idea how making random changes is impacting the gamma curve, color accuracy, saturation levels and so on.

5 Likes

Rule number one on telescopes - never shine light through the objective lens, if you do you will never be satisfied with the quality because of all the imperfections you will see. While in reality they have no perceptible impact on performance.

Wrong geometry is serious issue though, but that you should be able to determine by looking through it normally.

1 Like

These are captain daedalus settings

Red:
Brightness: -4
Contrast +2
Blue:
Contrast +2
Green:
Contrast +2

And on all channels - 5 on brightness and +1 on contrast, last step is always click apply on all channels.

2 Likes

I believe that “all channels -5 on brightness and +1 on contrast” does not make a big change or is deleted

because You have already asked to have contrast +2 and brightness -4 or -5 with blue/red/green channels

For example
The contrast for me is still +2 and you are not adding +1

While true, it’s very easy to calibrate by eye imo, it’s just way harder with a vr headset. Phones are generally good reference, and our eyes know what white should look like. My dell 27217DGF came in with a bad color calibration/white point, but it was easy to set. Happened to be identical to the settings rtings used.

Try urself. Apply on red, green or blue it gets brighter and color do get washed out. Apply on all channels and it’s like captains pics.