Pitool 1.0.2.086

wait, you used backlight adjustment on the XR? Which Pitool? The one discussed here?

1 Like

I must be looking in the wrong places I can’t find a pitool newer then 1.0.1.264
Where is this one?

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-1-0-2-086/32958

cheers!

3 Likes

Another thing I noticed with this PiTool but have yet to mention.

PiTool Render Quality at 1 with SteamVR Video at 50% and 100% - SteamVR overlays are very low res and highly pixelated. This does not translate in game but only with the SteamVR user interface and desktop mode.

Not an issue with PiTool Render Quality at other settings - just 1

This is an issue with the current version of SteamVR that was hotfixed in the current SteamVR beta.

6 Likes

(Posting this here since it is a bit off-topic for the original thread: )

With which PiTool-version are you / is he working with?
As mentioned, at least in .086, each new “apply” overrides the ones before…

I noticed this when using @Jien1963D 's calibration image:
My display is 1 level too reddish - so I decreased the red contrast by 1 ( = “-1”). When clicking apply, the colours got okay - but the overall contrast and brightness level was reduced, too.
So I retried it:
1st, overall contrast +1, apply => Contrast got better, but far too reddish. Okay, no wonder, red contrast was +1, too, this way, first.
2nd, red contrast -1, apply => clear grey shading, but bang, whole contrast reduced.

I died a second try, this time with brightness, because this doesn’t affect colours:
1st, overall brightness -1, apply => whole image got darker, but reddish again.
2nd, red contrast -1, apply => whole image got brighter again, though grey scaling was ok.

Retried it with other contrast and brightness settings twice again, just to be sure. Always same behaviour.

So it would be nice to know, whether this happens to others with .086, too, and whether it is related to .086 only. Since I have updated to the new beta firmware, I don’t want to try any downgrades.

1 Like

Same here. Only one colour or all can be applied at any time.
Using it to reduce the red too. This red problem is carried over from 264. I had highlighted it then, but it continues.

4 Likes

I first liked doing default everything at 0, then -2 Red Brightness, -1 Green Brightness. Colors seemed good, but the picture was a little less vibrant.

I’ve settled on +1 Contrast/-2 brightness everywhere, but there’s a slight yellow tint sometimes, and I think Contrast should be more at like +0.5 or +0.75, since there’s crushing of bright colors…of course we can’t do that yet. I think enough people have asked that we should see that at some point (more increments of contrast/brightness besides +1/-1

1 Like

or the more “simple” solution…
Make PiTool able to import ICM profiles… :sunglasses:
No more guessing what looks best, just apply correct color profile. (A few of us have “ranted” about this ages ago)
@PimaxQuorra @Alex.liu

9 Likes

You mean stereo depth for the test image with the vertical and horizontal colored lines? Never saw depth there. Maybe I should play with the setting.

1 Like

Hello,

Alex isn’t often online for the community, but we will forward this message to him, make sure he get the suggestion from the community.

Sincerely.

5 Likes

What is the possibility of adding a “Saturation” tab for the colors? Right now users are trying to pop colors via contrast and brightness, but in reality, saturation is one option required besides “Brightness” and “Contrast” to have a full set of complementing options

My two cents :wink:

8 Likes

And how per say is one going to generate these Pimax ICM profiles? I know my i1Display Studio would have a hell of a time trying to fit in the 8K-X headset as would any other industry calibration tool.

The best one could aim for is more of a visual calibration routine from within the headset but that is still subjective to user interpretation of the calibration process. Unless someone has a VR calibration colorimeter available that can be teamed up with X-Rite software or similar.

That would be nice.

Using profiles from other devices (screens) is a pointless effort.

My colorspider worked quite well on the 5K+ :wink:
One could also just unmount the ComfortKit
Been there done that, a whole thread has been created just on this subject.
Just thought I’d kick the old horse to see if we could bring it back to life :rofl:
It would be amazing if we could do this

4 Likes

I managed to get rid of the motion ghosting by reverting to the previous Pitool.

i tought that was the newest firmware has isue whit ghosting. but nice find :slight_smile:

I feel like I could remove the ghosting by reducing the backlight brightness to 50 or 60 on the latest pitool. I think higher values introduce ghosting which make sense

3 Likes

Very good idea. That would solve lot of problems with color.

@Miracle @PimaxVR @PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra @Heliosurge
Is it possible to push this saturation idea to the big guys? Honestly I think this is as important as 60Hz for 8kx

4 Likes

I also made a thread here:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/saturation-option-for-pitools/33302

3 Likes

I seem to have two issues with this Pitool.

1. Left eye needs to have brightness plus one for all colors. I know one more 8kx owner has the same issue. Please can others confirm?
  2. Red colour need to reduce contrast -1 for both eyes, to get a perfect color wheel.

Since both cannot be applied at the same time, I now just reduce left eye contrast and live with the red.

@Heliosurge, can you please check with this. I have noticed the red issue since 264

5 Likes