[Thanksgiving AMA] Leave your questions for Pimax here, Pimax team will answer all the questions online from 7PM PT / 10PM ET 22nd Nov

Thank you for doing this AMA.

1. Do you have a controller prototype and will you be using some new features of the Valve Knuckles EV3 Protoype, such as force grips ? When do you expect the controllers to be ready ?
  2. Do you have a working prototype for the Wireless Module yet ? When do you expect the wireless module to be ready ?
  3. Have you tested eye tracking to imporve the distortion algorithm of the headsets, similar to what StarVR has done ?
  4. When do you expect the eye tracking modules will be ready ?
5 Likes

1/ Can we get some info on the audio headstrap, is it still based on the design we saw during the kickstarter? any detail you can offer on what you’re looking to achieve with the headstrap would be appreciated along with estimated production/delivery.

2/ Are you going to be improving the colours on the 5k+ and can we get an advanced setting option to make our own adjustments?

3/ Are you going to be able to improve the brightness on the 5k+ any more? when are we likely to see brightness control?

4/ Are you going to be stocking spares at regional distribution warehouses to speed up any fault/replacements?

5/ Will we ever be able to choose to utilise SteamVR reprojection methods or are we stuck with pimax own?

6/ Will you offer a game launcher and settings inside VR rather than the current desktop PiTool? If so when?

7/ What is the current estimated timeline for ALL addons?

8/ Are you looking into an AR addon option?

9/ Can we buy replacement spares such as cables soon?

10/ Are you still planning on producing a linkbox style option?

Think that will do from me for now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any update on Brainwarp or any other re-projection solution being completed?

Once your production numbers are above 200 week will you keep that size shipments going out or do a less frequent but larger shipments?

https://community.openmr.ai/t/test-to-reduce-sde-cor-5k-with-tech21-protection-film-or-similar/10506

I’d like to know if Pimax has experimented with any of these films to reduce SDE.

1 Like

I’m an early backer and not someone who placed a pre-order, however your most recent advertising is either misleading or… you’re expecting to make improvements to the 8K in the very near future.

I’m quoting a statement made on your order page for the 8K…

" The highest resolution in VR, Over 16 million pixels lighting up a clear world, Richer details present a more vivid world of VR, Even Unable to distinguish between virtual and real, Get rid of the SDE(Screen-door Effect)"

Now we know from reviews that the last two items in that statement are not really true at this point in time, and even as an early backer, and in particular if I was making a pre-order based upon that advertising, I would be extremely disappointed upon my initial use of the 8K if I wasn’t “Unable to distinguish between virtual and real” and all of the SDE wasn’t gone.

So my question is a bit complicated… are those pre-orders expected to be better than the early backers thus meeting the pre-orders expectations as advertised, OR can all of the 8K backers expect to receive a headset that we’ll be “Unable to distinguish between virtual and real” and will there be no SDE what-so-ever?

6 Likes

Thanks guys for allowing us to ask questions. That is great

1. When is the expected time for the 5KBE shipments?
  2. As an 8K set backer can we get the 5KBE sacrificing the $100 wireless coupon?
  3. What would be the ETA on color adjustments for the 5K+?
  4. What are your teams favorite hobbies?
  5. What are your teams favorite games?
  6. What is your quest?
  7. What is your favorite color?
  8. What is the average air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

The last three are a bit of a joke from Monty Python, but I would be interested in 4 and 5. Always nice to know other people’s interests especially with other cultures.

4 Likes

Will the software be ready before preorder starts shipping?

African or European swallow?

4 Likes
  • when do you plan to start shipping base stations ?

• when do you plan to start shipping controllers ?

• are you still working on brainwarp ? Why has this feature never been demonstrated yet ?

• do you plan trying frame interpolation like ASW from oculus and smooth motion from valve ?

• do you confirm 60hz and 72hz modes will be implemented ? Have you tried both those refresh rate to confirm 100% it can be done ?

• will you set the 3rd production line as soon as the 2nd line has reached current production level of 1st line ?

• user adjustable brightness will work by dimming the led backlight, right ? Is it going to be PWM dimming ? (if yes, is PWM the only technical possibility with the current 5k+/8k design ?)

• do you know if any RGB oled panel exist on the market ? If not would pimax be able to request a custom RGB oled and how much would cost a HMD using such panels (1 per eye of course) ?

• would it be complicated to make pitool support ICC color profils ?

• what will happen if not all backers HMDs have been shipped at the time you have promised to start shipping pre-orders ? Will it still be “backers first” ?

• after what you have learned from creating the 5K+/8K, would you still aim for 170 FOV or would you try to make HMDs optimized for a FOV of 150 (= normal FOV mode of the 5k+/8k) ?

2 Likes

post your questions and waiting for your answer is good choice

1 Like

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving! Thanks for all the hard work you guys are doing on developing an excellent VR headset! My question is this, I pre-ordered:

Pimax 5K Plus VR Headset with Hand motion (PreOrder P121947)

Pimax Base Station and Wireless Controllers with Thumbstick or Trackpad (Deposit) × 1 (PreOrder P121959)

May I please find out what place I am in-line to get the headset/sensors or a rough ETA? Viewing my order, I get the following feedback “Your order is confirmed” and that I will receive an email when it’s shipped. It would be great if I could get a timeline. ~ Thank you

@Pimax-Support

1 Like

Hi there and thanks for answering our Questions:

• Which Panel is the 8k-X using? The one of 8k or is it another one?
  • As quoted in another thread, you are working to make 60hz possible onto the 8k-X, how high are your hopes to reach 80 or 90hz?
  • Is there any ‘target’ hz-rate you want to reach before you release the 8k-X?
  • Will it be possible to run the 8k-X with a lower input resolution instead of 2x4k? e.g. 2x2k?
    If i am not wrong here 2x4k means 1 Pixel rendered = 1 Pixel on the Screen, 2x2k would mean = 1 Pixel rendered = 2x2 Pixel on the Screen.
  • Is it at least planned to run Brainwarp also on the 8k-X?
  • Do you have any updates to share with us about the referral gift event :wink: :
    https://community.openmr.ai/t/8k-headsets-for-free-as-referral-gifts/4628
1 Like

His. Could you give me an estimate of when the London backer meet up is happening. Thanks.

2 Likes
  1. Any update regarding 8K X progress? Roughly when will the 8K X prototype be ready for tester to test?
  2. For those who pledged 8KX and want to get 8K or 5K+ as loaner, how is shipping cost for loaner arranged?
    I remember Pimax said pimax will pay the shipping cost for loander, but not clear if Pimax will pay for the both directions, or just pay one way(send loaner to backer, but backer need to pay for the return).
1 Like

@Matthew.Xu @deletedpimaxrep1 @Pimax-Support

Can you fix the display ratio when Parallel Projection is activated? Or remove/improve Parallel Projection?
Beside ruining the performances, I suspect it to decrease clarity (probably because of the ratio).
This is very important for most played games.

1 Like

@Matthew.Xu @PimaxVR @deletedpimaxrep1

1. Will Pimax be hiring more staff (e.g. production managers, assembly line workers, quality support, public relations managers, customer support representatives) to meet the growing demands of consumers due to recently increased publicity?

2. Due to an increased amount of preorders, in the future when Pimax bulk orders more components, is it forseeable that the consumer release pricing for Pimax 5k+ can be lowered to $599 or $549 to be more competitive in the market and potentially increase sales?

3. What is the release date of the “brainwarp” system, pitool screen brightness adjustment slider and 60hz and 72 hz modes?

4. What is the release date of the deluxe headstrap, pimax controllers and pimax lighthouse 2.0?

5. Will there be an 8k+ model with full RGB stripe LCD (like 5k+) or full RGB stripe OLED like StarVRone?

6. Is the pimax headsets intermittantly dropping out a problem caused by pitool software or bad cable connectors? If the problem is caused by the pitool software, is pimax working on a fix for the issue of pitool software intermittantly dropping the connection to pimax HMDs and if so when can we expect to see this fixed?

7. Is there a plan to change the distortion correction profile on the Large fov mode to utilise more unused screen space and unused pixels and reduce the visible image distortion and stretching of objects at the peripheral edges of the lenses when using the Large/full fov mode on the 5k+ and 8k?

8. if not, is there a plan to offer a separate lens replacement to buy, which is not a fresnel lens, but a lens optimised for reducing the distortion and stretching of objects and images at the peripheral edges of the HMD screens in large/full fov mode?

9. Is there a plan to reintroduce proximity sensor in consumer models to fully power off LCD screen when not used? it is understood that the current kickstarter backer headsets use the SteamVR app to achieve a similar function as a proximity sensor, but this does not completely power off the screen when it is not in use.

10. Possible to send VorpX developer ralf a 5k+ hmd for testing purposes so that he may optimise his software for large fov headsets? it’s a good investment to have another possible selling point advertising stable vorpx support if he can get it working in the near future. Please post updates in relation to this in the future, if so.

6 Likes

Thank you for this AMA.

1. What is the status of ‚Brainwarp‘?
  2. Are you planning to implement ASW or ATW?

i thought Pimax was going to answer the questions. oh, never mind i did not notice the date.

Timezones are hard aren’t they.

Today is the 22nd, 7pm PT has yet to happen.

About #9,AFAIK proximity sensor also didn’t turn off the backlight, feature wise there is parity between sensor and no sensor
About #10, I distinctly remember that dude saying he wasn’t interested in adapting to a niche headset.