8k vs 5k+ latency (and quick 5k vs 8k impressions

@neal_white_iii I have opposite opinion as many forum posters here. Tons of hands on time now this week with both, and I would personally recommend 5k+ for elite, even with the worse blacks.

If you watch the first backer on the impressions videos i posted here he had about 2 hours with the game at the meetup. He gives an accurate analysis. Backstory: We completely optimized it and went back and forth with the 5k+ and the 8k at the end of the night.

Elite is on a deferred renderer so it’s going to have bad AA for VR (temporal aa, etc) but even with that it looks really good on the 5k+. And aliasing is less noticeable thanks to the pixel arrangement. He mentioned the text clarity in the video but I can tell you it’s not just the text but everything that is more clear, the stars, the entire cockpit on the 5k+. Also things wobble less and it’s more responsive. Literally the only thing you are losing is blacks being a tad less black imo. I don’t even really notice the color differences.

Edit: Also if anyone has their headset already make sure to use normal FOV because I just discovered today that Large FOV with the parallel projections on is blurry. (pp on required for elite)

3 Likes

Thank you! :beers: It has been difficult to pick a headset without trying it out first-hand (as so many know). I really prefer the benefits of the 8K, but fundamentally, all that matters to me is which is better for playing Elite. I guess I’ll keep my current 5K+ selection.

The blacks should be better soon, when we get a backlight brightness control. Of course, this will be at the cost of a dimmer overall image. I’ll probably dim it, at least a little.

2 Likes

@Ludiks we used pitool 0.91 (newest) during the event

Edit: Okay your post made me look into things more and I just learned that parallel projection is only a problem with the blurriness in large FOV!! So they fixed large with with parallel projection off but not when it’s on.

If I keep pitool in normal fov skyrim looks just like it does when pp off, it was the large fov with pp causing blur (parallel projection bug)

tldr; large fov basically broken with parallel projection on from the bad blur.

3 Likes

We are several here to have reported a loss of clarity for weeks in wider fov, I did about 2 month ago.
I dont even talk about the last even but all of them actually.

2 Likes

@Ludiks Yup I know, it was fixed with parallel projection off at least. You can use large fov and it is clear now.

I am saying that with parallel projection on it is still an issue and giving people an update. This is all very confusing stuff.

1 Like

27 days ago, nobody even replied to this and I was claiming this for a month - >

1 Like

It’s a shame because you were right about parallel projection. They should fix it (large fov is blurry still) I am just happy they fixed it for when parallel projection is off now.

I think maybe the issue your english was hard to understand there (sorry!) I can sort of tell it’s not your native language, and maybe it did not translate well to Chinese? (if they use google translate)

@Pimax-Support Pimax please fix the large fov blur with parallel projection on.**

1 Like

I see…Indeed its not. :thinking:

Well actually it seems to be fixed (it is actually) with the last update.:+1:

4 Likes

With parallel projection on not fixed on large fov! :slight_smile: bluurry when I check

But yes correct it was fixed with parallel projection off ( if that’s what you mean) I just got the headsets actually and only have experience with .91 pitool.
Just want to be clear here. lol

1 Like

Like I Said :wink: seriously unlike sharpness and other aberrations, color perception can vary greatly from a individual to another so in case of a “dispute” like this the only way to be sure for you is to tried it. So you have to take a leap of faith :innocent:

3 Likes

Doc_ok messaged me with a short clip from VRLA where he covers motion-to-photon latency VRLA Summer Expo 2016: How VR Works A Perceptual Point of View - YouTube

In his message he said “That discussion directly references impact motions, same idea as the “knock test” or “wobble test.””

still verifying 8k loaner stuff!

3 Likes

Ok I got it, its only when you are moving your head very quick (has he said).
But…thats tests, you dont do that in games 99% of time.

Its just like hitting a wall with a car for testing and result is “this car doesnt hold againt a wall, dont buy it”.

And Sebastian was reporting it to be present most of time when moving head normally, I never saw it moving head like that in one of his videos but of course I didnt see them all.

2 Likes

Yes best to get fellow ED players input. to me the 8k is plenty clear; the discrepancy to me seems to be more individual preference than anything else.

2 Likes

I have Redout, Hellblade & Alien Isolation. All prefer decent on either headset with appropiate settings.

Hellblade & redout require tweaking. But have gotten Hellblade fairly stable around 70+ I believe (see my first review).

Redout Performs decently but hard to get high fps. Think if mem serves around 70.

Performance wise both perform well; in games where possible you will hit the 80 or 90 respective headset. As @SweViver has said tge quality/performance gap is pretty close.

1 Like

Vertical res has a high level of importance.

5k+ 1440
Lenovo 1600? (Presume same as vive pro?)
8k 2160 (upscaled from 1440)

ehm lenovo has 2 1440x1440 panels. do you think pixeldensity is even higher then the 5k+?

1 Like

I would say @Enopho would be a great reference on getting optimised settings for an 8k user to tweak settings as he runs ED on the p4k(uses scaler from 1440p to 2160p).

Thanks for the correction. Unfortunately to know the pixel density we need the panel size to determine ppi or tge ppi of each headset.

I haven’t tried any of the wmr headsets so can’t really say tbh.

The lenovo though will have higher density on the horizontal res than the 5k+. Vertical is likely equal being same value.

yeah that’s the problem. I think it is close, because with the 5k+ i had a"more of the same" impression with the screendoor, washed out colors, contrast exept for the field of view. in the beginning you think oke its just colors but after half year with my lenovo i have had it with that.

1 Like

On Lenovo a good small SDE, you can survive with this.
The VivePro / OG Odyssey SDE is worse than Lenovo.

Now, in order (about the difference SDE Lenovo and Odyssey).

1. in Lenovo, the pixel itself is smaller by 12%, in spite of the higher resolution of the Odyssey (ie, pixel density is higher for Lenovo)
    The screens of both helmets are different in size: Odyssey 3.5 ‘’ 1440x1600 vs Lenovo 2.89 ‘’ 1440x1440. Based on this, the density is higher on Lenovo.
Summary

https://goodcalculators.com/ppi-pixels-per-inch-calculator/

1. Different structures: Odyssey (Oled PenTile) vs Lenovo (LCD RGB).
    RGB wins almost a whole level of resolution from a standard pentail (for example, 1920x1080 Pentile is visually similar to RGB 1280x720 in definition and SDE.)

So the SDE effect is definitely less pronounced on Lenovo (and similar models) than on Odyssey / VivePro.
But since lenovo is not quite a standard RGB layout, the pixels are still quite visible on bright, even surfaces due to double spans, when two pixels form one lane. But this is not so significant, because SDE is still smaller, even if it can be noticed.

Not so long ago made a small comparison through the lens of Lenovo vs Odyssey.

Bloody Zombies

Onward

SteamVR

For me, there will be a huge step back, if SDE is similar to VivePro or Odyssey. I want it to be at least a little better than Lenovo Explorer. Therefore, I definitely choose 8K :boom:

6 Likes