Tech Talk #22 : Pimax Crystal

Well not really, I just wish Pimax didn’t chase unicorns. The 12k at native resolution needs a unicorn PC. But they’re billing the Reality series as a mainstream headset. Good luck with that. My voice is the same as 100,000 lost sales.

A lot of people were happy with 2160x 2160 for MSFS which you could run on a more mainstream PC. Double that by adding another 2160 x2160 you get the 8kX resolution which is about the same as the Crystal. But most Pimaxians want wide FOV it’s what keeps Pimax in the game.

Pimax have made Crystal and the 12k overly complicated by adding stand-alone features, batteries, etc and whacking the resolution so high when there isn’t an true 8k headset. The 8kX is not a mainstream headset.

When the VR community asks for a headset they either want wide FOV for PC or a stand-alone for FPSs that can run high fps. The 12k is a waste of money for FPS games when you need a top dollar PC to run it.

Nobody is going to buy a 12k for FPS imo when it needs a PC that less than 1% of PCVR users can afford.
Simmers don’t care about the cable as they’re sat down so bumping the price on Reality series headsets on unnecessary specs which ultimately means less sales for Pimax.

If Pimax released a 8kx v2 with the new lenses and all the niggles taken out their sales would increase 10 fold. But no Pimax are chasing a 12k rainbow when all other manufacturers are waving goodbye lapping up all the sales. Take a look at Pimax on Steam Hardware Survey after 7 years to find out. The 8KX doesn’t even register.

If Pimax don’t care about sales volumes then good for them, keep going. But don’t panic when another manufacturer slips in with a no frills, high res, affordable alternative.

In the mean time keep telling me I’m wrong.

if the earth is hit by a large meteor, the effort was just as futile. xD

2 Likes

They said they were going to release in China first. Whether that means even before KSers you.d have to ask for clarification, gl. Frankly debugging at home first may be a good idea. They aren’t on schedule which suggests they are not quite there yet. This assuming they can get the feedback they need to present their best.

The down side is that they miss all the good early advice they have gotten here over the years…even if it has often taken them a while to realize it. :smiley:

This Sweviver is a weasel !! :rofl:

Funny joke, yes, you do. You are probably the most negative voice on the whole forum with respect to Pimax. Where the hell you getting this idea it’s being billed as a ‘mainstream’ headset like it’s the Q2 or something? It’s an extremely high end, enthusiast tier headset which is meant to be what attracts a certain crowd of people, people who’re gonna be more likely to be the ones who have those super strong PCs anyway. This isn’t a 500 dollar headset and it’s not being marketed as such, it’s a 2400 one. Hell, to make another comparison, remember when 4k monitors were first starting to come out? At the time, trying to run them at native resolution was a pretty stupid idea for the vast majority of people and even high end stuff got poor performance, but some people still wanted them and got more use out of them as parts for more powerful. Same situation here, the 12k isn’t supposed to be an ultra mainstream headset they expect everyone to get, that’s a silly idea. Even with the trade in program, it’s still going to be well over 1000USD for most. That’s not chump change. You think Nvidia expects everyone to buy a 4090 with how they’re advertising it? No, they don’t, but they know there’s a market for it. Going by your logic, those kind of products shouldn’t even exist because they’re not mainstream.

Besides, you’re acting like every game is gonna be MSFS demanding, which is ridiculous. And even then, I’ve seen videos of somebody running it on normal FoV with largely high settings without DLSS, though with foveated rendering IIRC, at around 60~ FPS. Considering standard practice from a lot of simmers has been to use motion smoothing when at low FPS due to the slower paced nature of stuff like MSFS, that’s pretty good. And hell, in some games with the 4090 I have had legitimate headroom at maxed settings at 90hz on my 8k X at large FoV, without using FSR or FFR at that. Anyone who knows anything about this stuff should not be expecting to run the 12k at 100% maxed out settings in all but the simplest games, but even running at native resolution and medium/high setting, you’re still very liable to get a much better experience than running a lower res headset due to the raw resolution bump.

I think you’re vastly overestimating things. By your own admission, the 8k X is still quite a niche headset. Making another version with slightly better screens won’t suddenly change that, even if it’s priced at around 1000USD, there’s far more to selling than raw specs and Pimax does have a marketing/public image problem. There’s more to having the SoC on the 12k than just standalone support too, the compute functions it does are essential to the function of the headset with things like the foveated transport to help with bandwidth. You can’t just remove that and keep all else the same. Who do you think the 12k is even going to be competing with at that price point? The people who’re looking at 1000 dollar headsets, and some who might even look at 1500 dollar headsets, are not the target audience for this, especially when discounting the trade in program. And any headset which does come in at a much lower price point is, obviously, going to end up compromising a fair bit on features. Especially when it comes to FoV, because, unfortunately, there is not a single other company who’s even bothering to invest in truly wide FoV on the consumer sphere than Pimax. I don’t feel like buying an 8000 dollar XTAL just to have another option. I can’t buy an 8000 dollar XTAL.

I will, because you are. You’re looking at the 12k and wondering why it should exist when cheaper headsets are out, but completely ignoring those headsets do much different things. Just to compare to the 8k X and something like the reverb G2. You want only clarity and that’s all you care about? Alright, yeah, sure. The G2’s fine. But if you want more FoV beyond that tiny thing, while also maintaining high clarity, and better tracking? Well, the Index will get you more FoV, but it’ll be a sizable downgrade in clarity. The Vive Pro 2 will get you similar clarity and somewhat wider FoV+tracking, but has its own problems with heat and lenses. The 8k X? It’ll maintain high image quality and significantly wider FoV, but you’ll have to deal with the various issues Pimax has and need to spend a good chunk of time getting it properly set up. But, it provides things over the other option that, for some, may make it very worth the price. It’s not meant to be selling the same volume as something like the G2, which is multiple times cheaper. And who’s to say Pimax won’t release something on the lower end? There’s not a whole lot on the horizon to worry about.

Pimax has plenty of things to give them grief for that we don’t have to start inventing points as some kind of gotcha against them. They suck at keeping to schedules, communication can be spotty at best, and they’ve got issues underdelivering on promises. I fully expect the 12k won’t be everything it’s cracked up to be even, but you’re making a mountain out of nothing.

5 Likes

It’s like telling your kids at the playground ‘don’t do that you’re going to hurt yourself’ I don’t hate the kid and I don’t hate the playground. I’m foreseeing something that has a high prob ability to lead to an accident. You are on the other side, you just want to play and have fun. Go for it.

Pimax on the other hand suffer from having a bad reputation, headsets that are not user friendly and a company that needs regular buy outs to keep them afloat.

Even HP is reported to be pulling out of VR even though they had a popular headset.

But if you think Pimax can survive with their current business model great. They must be making enough profit to invest in future models. Kevin from Pimax must be wrong because he said the Reality series is a high volume product.

I’ve been saying the same thing about Pimax for years but so far nothings changed. There sales are off the chart in a bad way, they’re still producing overly ambitious headsets and still missing deadlines.

But hey keep on waving the flag.

No, I’m not. But sure, keep staying on your high horse and acting like a smug know it all as you always do.

1 Like

I react to to what Pimax put out. If Pimax keep outputting wrongs and don’t fix them then don’t shoot the messenger for pointing them out.

1 Like

Kevin at Pimax said in this video at 1:10 the reality series is going to be a high volume device to attract software developers and build a bigger eco system. ‘Many thousands per week.’

1 Like

jupp, daily :joy:

meanwhile, many of us are enjoying the 8kx

<))))))))°>

7 Likes

Some don’t like what I post even when it’s directly from Pimax lol.

Glad you enjoy you 8kX.

2 Likes

It’s like AMS2, runs fast. But many games are not as fast, Asseto Corsa Competicione is that is easy to configure to break even the 4090 down, even though it has DLSS, DCS just really needs that engine update, and so on. STILL I would only go for the crystal if the sharpness and dark/contrast/colors are significantly better then the 8k. The 12k is awesome, but I also fear that many games won’t be up to it until they add DLSS2 or better 3 and FSR.

Yes, the sharpness of the 8kx paired with the 4090 is impressive. The HMD finally shows what it can really do.

3 Likes

I am still tweaking, but it’s a nice enhancement and just like you said, finally not just some how running, but doing that in quality.

2 Likes

wich games are you tweaking,and what settings do u use now?

1 Like

And he’s talking about the Reality line in general. They kind of mix talking about the 12k and the Reality series, but the 12k is not the whole reality line. And as I said before, who’s to say they won’t release something on the lower end? Like, you know, Pimax already has before with stuff like the Artisan or 5kS? Especially when this was before the Crystal got announced so they obviously aren’t pinning everything on the 12k, like the video may imply as not like they’re gonna reveal that in a small interview like this. Maybe they don’t have something that’s truly budget in mind, but they clearly have more in mind than just their 2000+ headset.

Those numbers ain’t nothing and not at all huge for something mainstream. Mainstream is talking millions of units being made and sold. And you’re gonna focus and fixate on that one point to argue that it’s being marketed as the 12k specifically is meant to be entirely mainstream? And like that answers everything else I said? Come on, you wanna keep moving those goalposts even further?

5 Likes

I “have to tweak” Asseto Corsa Competitione, Automobilista 2 and DCS - the rest is fine ( but have not played many latetly since I had little time and its the first weekend with the card :wink: and a kidney less ← DarkHumor Sorry). Problem is that I hat issues with the new Pitool transporting the setting - i kept getting Large FOV instead of the smaller once. So now I am trying to find the sweet spot with how far I can get with which settings - i will try and get some screenshots (I’ll open a thread A collection of settings for the 8KX and 4090 since its more 8KX and 4090 related then crystal )

4 Likes

I am already pretty happy with how my first generation 8kx looks with my 3090. BUT… I’m really looking forward to features like the auto IPD adjust. The critics have a point- which Pimax has acknowledged, and is hopefully correcting- the 8KX requires tweaking by just about every user. I think more than anything, that’s what VR needs- more plug and play and less ‘tweak and pray’.
:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Moving goal posts? Did you watch the video? I quoted direct from Pimax.

Pimax headsets will never be mainstream due to high prices full stop but from what Kevin said Pimax need to push ‘high volumes’ to get developers to make content for their Standalone. You can’t argue both ways. You can’t argue Pimax needs volume and then Pimax is niche. They are not my goalposts, they are Pimaxes. Pimax set the price and Pimax set the volume tartget.

Crystal is gunning for the HTC Foucus 3. Specs and price are very similar. So to get people to chose Pimax over HTC, Pimax need to be doing it better and that’s when things go wrong. We’re still waiting for the Crystal launch even after the mid October announcement has come and gone. They’ve delayed a world launch till Christmas and looks likely to go into next year. There’s absolutely no sign of the 12k at all even though that’s their flagship product.

Pimax need a solid HMD to keep them going. They can’t live on investors forever. They’ve already burned through $19.2 million Series A in 2018 and now live on $20 million series B from 2020.

The future of Pimax rests on Crystal and the 12k unless they are going to do what I suggest they do a release a stripped down bare knuckles 8K for under $1000.

Lets face it in all these years I’ve not been wrong. Pimax is still at ground zero. Facts are in the Steam Hardware Survey. Facts are in the Series A and B cash injections. Facts are in the Pimax videos. You take the evidence and predict the future.

2 Likes

You really seem to assume that us silly home players are the main buying class. Crazy … XD