Tech Talk #22 : Pimax Crystal

It’s like AMS2, runs fast. But many games are not as fast, Asseto Corsa Competicione is that is easy to configure to break even the 4090 down, even though it has DLSS, DCS just really needs that engine update, and so on. STILL I would only go for the crystal if the sharpness and dark/contrast/colors are significantly better then the 8k. The 12k is awesome, but I also fear that many games won’t be up to it until they add DLSS2 or better 3 and FSR.

Yes, the sharpness of the 8kx paired with the 4090 is impressive. The HMD finally shows what it can really do.

3 Likes

I am still tweaking, but it’s a nice enhancement and just like you said, finally not just some how running, but doing that in quality.

2 Likes

wich games are you tweaking,and what settings do u use now?

1 Like

And he’s talking about the Reality line in general. They kind of mix talking about the 12k and the Reality series, but the 12k is not the whole reality line. And as I said before, who’s to say they won’t release something on the lower end? Like, you know, Pimax already has before with stuff like the Artisan or 5kS? Especially when this was before the Crystal got announced so they obviously aren’t pinning everything on the 12k, like the video may imply as not like they’re gonna reveal that in a small interview like this. Maybe they don’t have something that’s truly budget in mind, but they clearly have more in mind than just their 2000+ headset.

Those numbers ain’t nothing and not at all huge for something mainstream. Mainstream is talking millions of units being made and sold. And you’re gonna focus and fixate on that one point to argue that it’s being marketed as the 12k specifically is meant to be entirely mainstream? And like that answers everything else I said? Come on, you wanna keep moving those goalposts even further?

5 Likes

I “have to tweak” Asseto Corsa Competitione, Automobilista 2 and DCS - the rest is fine ( but have not played many latetly since I had little time and its the first weekend with the card :wink: and a kidney less ← DarkHumor Sorry). Problem is that I hat issues with the new Pitool transporting the setting - i kept getting Large FOV instead of the smaller once. So now I am trying to find the sweet spot with how far I can get with which settings - i will try and get some screenshots (I’ll open a thread A collection of settings for the 8KX and 4090 since its more 8KX and 4090 related then crystal )

4 Likes

I am already pretty happy with how my first generation 8kx looks with my 3090. BUT… I’m really looking forward to features like the auto IPD adjust. The critics have a point- which Pimax has acknowledged, and is hopefully correcting- the 8KX requires tweaking by just about every user. I think more than anything, that’s what VR needs- more plug and play and less ‘tweak and pray’.
:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Moving goal posts? Did you watch the video? I quoted direct from Pimax.

Pimax headsets will never be mainstream due to high prices full stop but from what Kevin said Pimax need to push ‘high volumes’ to get developers to make content for their Standalone. You can’t argue both ways. You can’t argue Pimax needs volume and then Pimax is niche. They are not my goalposts, they are Pimaxes. Pimax set the price and Pimax set the volume tartget.

Crystal is gunning for the HTC Foucus 3. Specs and price are very similar. So to get people to chose Pimax over HTC, Pimax need to be doing it better and that’s when things go wrong. We’re still waiting for the Crystal launch even after the mid October announcement has come and gone. They’ve delayed a world launch till Christmas and looks likely to go into next year. There’s absolutely no sign of the 12k at all even though that’s their flagship product.

Pimax need a solid HMD to keep them going. They can’t live on investors forever. They’ve already burned through $19.2 million Series A in 2018 and now live on $20 million series B from 2020.

The future of Pimax rests on Crystal and the 12k unless they are going to do what I suggest they do a release a stripped down bare knuckles 8K for under $1000.

Lets face it in all these years I’ve not been wrong. Pimax is still at ground zero. Facts are in the Steam Hardware Survey. Facts are in the Series A and B cash injections. Facts are in the Pimax videos. You take the evidence and predict the future.

2 Likes

You really seem to assume that us silly home players are the main buying class. Crazy … XD

Who else? Business??? Show me some of your facts and not just your opinions.

pfff

global-virtual-reality-market

3 Likes

Meinst er gibt Ruhe? Grüße

2 Likes

nVidia has only released the 4090. This is a $1600 GPU and will never be mainstream. Therefore, the entire 40 series will never be mainstream.

Sarcasm aside, I think Meta has wrecked the low end market for VR gear such that they couldn’t even sustain their own prices. This has gutted competition anywhere near lower price points even for other of the larger players, much less a smaller company like Pimax.

The high end is the only part of the market that hasn’t been ruined. It’s also a part of the market that has languished without any real successor to the aging Valve Index. I believe it is very hungry. And so it makes a lot of sense for Pimax to go after this market.

What Pimax indicated in the MRTV interview is that the Reality series has been designed to be more mass producible. It’s easier to build than the P2 headsets.

So Pimax is releasing their “4090” versions of it first. This makes a lot of sense because that’s the market where they have the best chance of being able to get traction. If they opened with something more like a “4060”, look at what it would be up against in the market and the state of affairs there. It would be completely hopeless. Even a much larger company like Bytedance is going to struggle to dislodge an entrenched Meta with their Pico 4.

I think Pimax’s strategy will be to get the Crystal and 12K out the door, get them debugged and stable, and get a standalone store established as best they can. And then assess what it looks like for making a “4070” and then a “4060”, etc. This would depend on multiple factors including how successful they’ve been at building up a standalone store so far and the state of the VR market. The Reality series needs to be solid and stable if it does go after that market because those customers are not going to be forgiving of any jankiness.

Building up the standalone store is going to be a big challenge. They’re going to have a chicken and egg problem with that. But since the Reality series is built on the XR2, it should at least be relatively easy for game devs to port their games to it. It would make sense for Pimax to devote effort to making that as painless as possible to lower the barriers.

But I don’t think Pimax necessarily needs to go in this direction of trying to compete at lower price points. They could settle in as a high end boutique manufacturer. And the other direction they could grow in is the commercial market. They could go after Varjo’s business. The Reality series (and certainly the Crystal in particular) seems poised to be able to do that, too.

I think the design of what Pimax is doing with the Reality series gives them options to go in different directions depending on how things pan out.

With nVidia, we know the 4090 isn’t all that’s coming. The 40 series isn’t going to be high end only. It will include lower end GPUs which will be very mainstream. We know this because GPUs are long since mature and released in well established patterns. With Pimax and VR, there isn’t an established pattern yet. But Pimax has alluded to lower end models coming in the future.

2 Likes

Volkssport xD

Strange I found this chart from the same researcher which shows gamers are the majority users in VR regardless of location. The point still stands Pimax face the same challenges in the commercial world as they do in the home environment because gamers are the biggest end user of VR.

1 Like

Glad I could show you new sources to broaden the horizon. :slight_smile: Now you just have to learn not to just pick out the things that suit you. :wink:

3 Likes

It’s a shame non of the charts I came across for manufacturer market share in any catagory even mentioned Pimax. So I go back to saying after 7 years Pimax are at ground zero while the likes of HTC and Meta dominate.

Thats not to say Crystal and the 12k couldn’t be a raging success I hope they are.

I can tell you that besides the old Vive Pro, Star VR (yes indeed) and also Pimax 5k and 8kx are very popular at arcades. WMR and quest is nearly non-existent there.

The first bigger VR thing i was here germany in (2017 or so) had about 20 Pimax 4k.

3 Likes

“The 12k is being marketed as mainstream.”

“No, it’s not and they’re talking about the reality line in general and thousands is nothing to mainstream.”

“That doesn’t count, they’re still marketing mainstream because I said so.”

Sure thing mate. You’re the only one moving the goalposts here, not Pimax. You can say you’re posting just Pimax’s word all you want and act like you’re never wrong for it, but that’s your interpretation and acting like you’ve never been wrong won’t make it true.

You know there’s a lot of stuff which is still bigger than some super tiny, little niche(Like, say where VR was back in 2016) and yet still far from mainstream(Like say a video game console), right? Something can still be profitable, in decent volume, and still not even close to mainstream, yet beyond niche. Look at games which might sell a few hundred thousand copies or very, very low millions vs the stuff which sells several million to even tens of millions of copies. I am not all arguing both ways here.

And I wanna be clear here, I’m not even saying Pimax is going to pull things off wonderfully and trying to dismiss any criticism cause I just “want to have fun” like you’ve said, that’s incredibly reductive and dishonest to throw at anyone who’s not agreeing with you. Pimax has a lot they need to fix and work on if they want to seriously grow into even a moderately big player in the VR Market, and frankly I am not super confident they’ll manage it with how mixed their track record’s been. But focus on those problems and criticize them for the problems they have and need to fix instead of constantly trying to spread false info like it’s fact and inventing more points to try and use against them.

4 Likes

Without intending to disrupt the debate here, wasn’t there supposed to be a roll out of the Crystal in certain markets in mid-October? Has any news surfaced which some kind soul could translate for us?

7 Likes