SweViver's In-Depth Pimax 8K & 5K+ Review - please discuss it here!

First rate review SveViver !
I really hope Pimax understands how important it is to find people like you. As a 4k owner and backer, i fully understand how important it is to have westerners like you involved in developing, fine tuning, marketing and after sales support. Pimax has made a great product, and developing a good cultural/language bridge to interface with the world market is important.
You have shown yourself to be positive, dedicated and knowlegeable, so i really look forward to hear more about DCS, 8k, 5k+ and 2080ti :slight_smile:

7 Likes

A big thank you for this very informative, differentiated report!

1 Like

This is why I said previously that the PiTool needs colour calibration options. Red green and blue tints all need a tweak on the 5K+ which will correct the colour as at the moment it is leaning towards a cool white balance.

2 Likes

Thank you SOOO much guys for all you kind words and a big thanks to all of you that have joined my Patreon, it means a lot to me :slight_smile:

I just woke up 1 hour ago and need to run away for 1-2 hours but I when Im back I will start to reply all questions :slight_smile:

Also, live stream tonight at 7pm CEST!

Much love!

18 Likes

Thank You SweViver! Outstanding review! Itā€™s hard to understand how you got this done in such a short time.

1 Like

Well done Martin,
Iā€™m taking a break at 46mins ready to watch the lens secion tomorrow. Didnā€™t sound like you took a breath for the first 12 mins. Lol.
Itā€™s been great so far.
Iā€™m still not decided on which way Iā€™ll jump but I am now leaning towards getting what Iā€™ll enjoy today. Tomorrowā€™s vision can wait till my next hardware upgrade.

1 Like

I see all review from tester and everyone recommend 5k+ more than 8k.

I am thinking that can we tell that ā€œ8k is better than 5k+ā€ or not?
If not, why pimax donā€™t sell pimax 8k at the same price of 5k+. And people who keep the 8k may get a little some reward and donā€™t need to changing to 5k+.

Infact I donā€™t want any reward, except the confirmation of better product.

I am feeling I get the answer that ā€œNo, it is not better, but the sde is expensive than the clarityā€.

Better or Not better? , no anyone can answer this question.

@deletedpimaxrep1 If we are distributor and customer ask us that the 8k is expensive than 5k+ , that mean 8k is better than 5k+? What should the marketing or selling team will answer the question?

We still wait for some official announcement about this situation soon.

4 Likes

@Aneurism, IKR?

I watched the MRTV review and thought it was pretty clear that the 5k+ was superior, and then @SweViver ā€˜s review, with his excellent level of nuance shattered that.

What I got was that itā€™s all about rendering resolution and what your graphics hardware can support.

For all intensive purposes, 5K+ at 1.0 S.S. = 8K at 1.5 S.S. That could be an oversimplification but itā€™s serviceable.

As a result, Becuase of my hardware and how I plan to use my Pimax HMD, Iā€™m also heavily leaning to sticking with the 8K.

3 Likes

Why did DCS and XP11 need so much SS/PD to look good? What do they look like when itā€™s left at 1.0?

1 Like

The big question remains, HOW MUCH more GPU does it take to unleash the beast within the 8K. Itā€™s great to know it is hidden in there, but if the 2080Ti should prove to not be good enough and possibly even its successor falling short, then it would just be a academic advantage because you never get to the point to cash in on it.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Questions for Testers After Sept 16

@SweViver ,

Brilliant detailed review.

The one question many people above are asking, and in other threads, the final piece of the jigsaw, is this:

When you increase 5K+ by the same 1.5 (that you say you need to increase the 8K by to get same clarity as the 5K+),ā€¦ Do you get an EVEN better image??

I.e. I like most am assuming that yes ok, you can increase SS in they 8K to get up to the same clarity as the 5K+ at lower SS but LIKE FOR LIKE (IE AT THE SAME SS LEVELS) the 5K+ will always beat the 8K, even using the 2080Ti.

Can you please comment on this important point?

If increasing SS on the 5K+ doesnā€™t do much then we will go 8K. If it improves accordingly and is always a step ahead of the 8K then we will go 5K+.

Thanks in advance. And thanks again for a brilliant review!!!

4 Likes

@SweViver quite an impressive work you did. I have few questions.

1. You mentioned in the video that you believed that 8K and 5K+ panels have different (sub)pixel arrangement, because they created different artefacts in close shots. Would you be able to take a macro shot of the panels, which will show the matrix?
  • The pictures from 5K+ and 8K show consistently different color settings - white point temperature and also contrast. Like if the 5K+ had the contrast set up too much (some black and white levels got crushed). Is it something which might be adjustable, or is Pimax planning on fixing it in the production line? I mean I can understand that they settle on particular color profile, but I cannot understand why they have two different ones in such obvious way.

• When you explained the way PiTool Rendering Quality interacts with SteamVR settings, do you know what is the actual rendering resolution used by the graphics card? Is it the one shown on SteamVR control panel, or is it some kind of the product of SteamVR figure and PiTool ā€œRendering Qualityā€ value?

• You mentioned there is a color banding visible on 5K+ while, it is not on 8K. Do you have any pictures, which show that? I believe the one in your video was just an illustration, but not the real picture. This might be an interesting point about the 5K+ panels and which color res they use as banding usually identifies lower color res (e.g. 6 bit panels vs 8 bit panels).

2 Likes

At least for the question 4 if I remember correctly he was saying that the he noticed the color banding only with test tools but not while gaming.

1 Like

Another Q:

Panel utilisation assessment clarification please

You talk about panel utilisation but actually that just looks like utilisation of the bit of the panel in that bit of the enclosure, which you show is the same for both.

I donā€™t have a source for it but I believe the 5K+ panels are actually smaller, so if that is the case you need to open up the front bit of the Pimax and see how much bigger the screens are than he enclosure. If the screens are both the same size then the identical utilisation that you describe translates to identical utilisation of the screens. But if you find the 8K sticks out beyond that enclosure moreso than the 5K+ (IE itā€™s a bigger screen) the identical finding actually confirms that the 5K+ has a better percentage of utilisation. And in terms of information per inch (as opposed to pixels per inch) the 5K+ will be superior which would give us another reason why itā€™s so much clearer.

It would also explain Pimaxs claim that there is a better ppi than the 5K.

If however itā€™s simply that the screen is smaller than the 5K but the same size as the 8K then yes your finding is valid.

Can you clarify?

1 Like

itā€™s irrelevant how many own p4k and yes some testers have it as mentioned in the video.
whatā€™s relevant is that they just made 2 new Pimax headsets and should be comparing them to their first and only p4k first.
other headsets are too different and are not being upgraded. pimax 4k is being upgraded so why no comparison video?

1 Like

The pricing of 5K+ and 8K are not decided yet.
The pricing of 5K+ will be higher than that of 5K.

2 Likes

Because it would proof that the Pimax 8k is pretty much a failure. To get an idea, simply see this: http://community.openmr.ai/t/for-reference-pimax-4k-vs-vive-pro/8348

All this nonsense talk about how upscalers supposedly are a bad thing and that THATā€™S why the pimax 5k+ is better than the Pimax 8kā€¦ Getting really tired of that.

Spanish team was right all along. Thereā€™s something seriously wrong with the Pimax 8k.

1 Like

@SweViver
I saw you driving rFactor2 at 60 to 70 FPS. So it looks like games will play at whatever FPS your card can put out. Unlike the Vive or Rift that automatically kick into their tricks to mimic 90hz. What did it feel like driving a sim at this low FPS? Did you drive it (or PC2) long enough to form an impression?

2 Likes

If you sell at the same price (I donā€™t think so).

This will effect to the backer who will buy both because he should choose 5k+ to get 100 dollars and buy 8k later at the same price.

if you sell 8k expensive than 5k+, it should be solve about stronger point of expensive product.

Some promise of 8k may important.

1 Like