SweViver's In-Depth Pimax 8K & 5K+ Review - please discuss it here!

Fantastic review thnx for the time and pure dedication,now swaying towards the 5K+,as a AMD owner who has just recently paid in full for my card.I won’t be upgrading the GPU maybe the CPU to a threadripper but not anytime soon.

So I would say the lesser SDE on the 8K is neglible compared to the reduced GPU power required for the 5K+ and being short sighted I don’t wear glasses in VR so that clarity on the 5K+ is a real winner, still need to watch Sebs vid but early in work so that will have to wait all in all great work :relaxed:

1 Like

great review. really appreciate you doing this for the community

3 Likes

I think most of the comparison screenshots were of 8K and 5K+ set at quality of 1.0, right? Can we get some comparisons of both with 1.5 as well? Like maybe do all four in the same kind of grid?

3 Likes

Hey @SweViver I noticed you had Titanic Honor and Glory downloaded on your desktop I was wondering if you had a chance to test it out? All I’d really like to know is if it works or not.

Thanks again for the amazing amount of work you’ve done for us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How can you look at all these pictures and say that Pimax 8K has better SDE than Pimax 5K Plus? I see 5K+ with better SDE and clarity. Sweviver, please bump up the rendering in Pitool & SS in Steam for 8K and then compare it with these 5K+ pictures…because I am not convinced that 8K has better SDE. It looks worst with its blurriness. If you can somehow show me 8K with similar clarity as 5K+ by increasing the rendering and SS, then I will keep the 8K and buy 2080ti. Otherwise, i am going with 5K Plus.

3 Likes

@SweViver

I am too here,

maybe something is wrong with my eyes but i can’t tell which has less SDE the 8k or the 5K+.

Only thing I could tell is they have a different pattern of SDE but 5k+ images are sharper and more detailed.

Is this something that have to be experienced first hand to see it?

3 Likes

I lough when you said getting “cheap rayban copies from Thailand” (my country) , why not china haha.

1 Like

I agree, to me the edges of objects looks a lot more muddy on the 8K. @SweViver keeps saying how the 8K has better small details, but the 5K has better clarity - but only for up close? It doesn’t make any sense to me. Every still image I see the 5K+ looks better than the 8K, is there supposed to be some special quality of the 8K which can’t be captured on camera? :confused:

I think Martin just didn’t want to throw 8K under the bus.

Another thing I noticed is the chromatic aberration is visible on many still images of the 8K but not the 5K+. I can dig up the examples from Martin’s review if no one believes me, somehow this wasn’t mentioned in the comparison.

Great review by the way, well done. (even if you went too easy on the 8K :wink:)

2 Likes

More images…

Uploading…

4 Likes

Thanks @SweViver, and @VooDooDE for your outstanding reviews! can’t thank you enough.

2 Likes

Really ? Oh, then most of you must have been silently reading along - observing the forum in the past 12 months I didn‘t get the impression that there were many 4K owners here, rather not the majority, certainly not most of us.
In order to compare them they would have to have the P4K, which they don‘t. You will have to wait for the first of the P4K owners to receive their backer unit to get such comparisons, it appears.

9 Likes

You’re welcome, was hard, but nice work!

5 Likes

Chromatic aberration visible on the 8K but not 5K+. To me the colors on the 5K+ are cleaner, as well as the image being sharper.

3 Likes

I also got impression 4k owners were vast minority.XD

1 Like

Hi Thomas, great work, and you must be glad that at the end you had the chance to provide a review of a generally good/great product and not only of a promise not fulfilled, as it probably seemed half way through the testing…

I believe you said is your review on the potential of the 8K with greater supersampling compared to the 5K+, that with infinite GPU power the 8K woulk probably outshine the 5K+, right?
But at the same time it sounded as if this point, where the 8K starts to outmuscle the 5K+ would be probably only with the 3080Ti or 4080Ti, so in a time where most of us likely have moved on to the next headset, be it from Pimax (8K+ or whatever) or the next Rift or Vive 2.0. So for those it would seem the 5K+ is the smarter choice, because we only need to consider the coming 2 years as likely period if use of this headset.

7 Likes

Thank you, Martin, for the great in-depth review! :beers:

I just finished watching it, even though I started many hours ago, since I had to take breaks for “real life” and I watched some segments 2 or 3 times, to really inspect the visual differences between the 5 & 8K units.

2 Likes

Thank you for all the work!
With present graphic cards I would choose the 5k+ but I really would like to see the effect of the 2080 ti to the framerate and sharpness of the 8k.
Please show it to us when you have the 2080ti.

1 Like

But the colors of the 8k are warmer and seem more “human”

1 Like

What type of reprojection is currently supported (functional)?

1 Like

Someone on Reddit is making this wonderfull summary with tidbits of each section:

1 Like